Is marshall responsible for crunch on WEEZER "Blue Album?"

bstark777

• Members

Also responsible for that sound is the Mesa Boogie, which was still in top condition at this time. The Mesa was run through the tall Marshall, often at unusually low volume, to get some of the sounds on the album. As far as I know, there are NO effects pedals on the guitar sounds on the Blue Album. Rivers would not start really fooling around with recording with effects and pedals till later..."

Just looking at that lp special I would guess it's a '59 as well, I always thought that '59 was the only year they med it in red (that wasn't a re-issue)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

no, it is definitely not a .22 of any sort.

equipment1.jpg

and the .22 on nevermind was only used for cleans. all the dirt came from a pink boss distortion pedal.

How do we know the amp in that picture is being used for distortion?

...and I never said the studio .22 was used for distortion on nevermind, but being that it was used for it with the pedal, it essentially was.

• Members

From the source.. the ACTUAL source. I cut and paste this from elsewhere.

Greetings from Paris. I'll hit your comments first.

Quote:

I know they used an old Mesa head in conjunction with a Pete Townshend style "Mock 8/10" Marshall stack with four Vintage Celestions staggard inside of it. And that for some reason they recorded most of the rhythms at lower volumes with this head. (Some of this stuff is well documented on their web site)

True.. but sometimes we cranked it up as well for the feedback. (The feedback notes before each chorus of Say it Ain't So were carefully orchestrated this way). I seem to recall that that head had a master volume mod on the back.

Quote:

The guitar they used primarily was an old 1965 les paul jr doublecut with P90's in it...and sometimes an even older Fender Jaguar...(Both were Ric Ocasek's Guitars from the Cars and not the Warmoth Strat Copy that you see River's Cuomo playing in the music videos)

True and not true. Rivers' primary GTR was his Red Strat copy with the humbuckers in it. There were some problems with it at first. When he would play a single note on the lo E the note would "beat" (like when two notes are close to being in tune with each other but aren't). I played it and realized the the tremolo springs were ringing so I stuffed the cavity and the springs with a bunch of paper towels to dampen them. Problem solved.

Ric's 65 Les Paul was used to replace Jason's guitars but I don't remember which amp we used. Probably one of Ric's Marshalls. This was probably the big turning point of the record. Not to be disrespectful but I really didn't like Jason's tone. He played a tele deluxe on the neck pickup and the sound was just mud with no definition. Rivers replacing his gtr cleaned up and tightened the entire record. I don't think people would talk about the gtrs if we left Jason on the record (except maybe to comment that the gtrs were muddy ).

The Jaguar was used for the clean guitar/intro on Say it Ain't So, the upbeat/reggae gtr was my '81 Strat that I brought in.

GTR Mics. Standard stuff- 57, 421 and a AKG D112. I always use a weird mic on everything I record just to see what it does. I wanted some bottom so why not a kick mic? Mics were exactly 1.75 inches from the grill (because that is the width of the first three fingers on my left hand) pointed straight at the cone midway between the edge and the center.

The drums, bass, and basic tracks were recorded on a Focusrite Forte (serial number 2 - I think) in EL Studio A which is no longer there. This console was loaded with the original ISA 110s and the mic pres were located out in the live room, the console could remote control them.

Guitars and vocals were recorded on a E series SSL (studio B) or upstairs in studio C's G series. Mic pres were 1081s (for the GTRS) and I had an outboard SSL G series channel strip at the end of the chain to add a bit of edge. (something that I would never do now ). Most likely there was an 1176 in there as well, slowest attack, fastest release. Some vocals and comping were done at Rics home studio.

Quote:

I's almost hard to tell when the guitar leaves off and the bass begins.

That was the idea. We conceptualized the GTR and bass as being one big 10 string instrument.

Quote:

instead of a Bb like : x2444x, it would have the F in the bass...22444x

Actually its more like this: the second chord of the chorus of the Sweater Song would be : 332xxx and then you slide it up two frets for the D chord. The bass takes the root. (Huge secret I just gave away. The Japanese bands I just worked with freaked when I showed them that one.)

In the Garage. First guitar-Tele/big muff/ twin reverb. My fav gtr tone from the whole record. Pure Ugly.

The distorted bass is my original Graphic Fuzz on the insert of the SSL E during the mix. Funny thing about that box is that is sounds like crap when you use it normally but when you strap it on a big console insert it sounds glorious. Probably the gain and impedance mismatch. Awesome vocal distortion BTW. Got mad when they reissued it.

Rivers played all the gtrs. THe only bummer was the the ac gtr tone I got on Jonas sounded way better on Jason's recording. I really didn't want to erase it but I had to.

Am I the only one that hears the click track bleeding into the room mics on the intro to the Sweater Song?

Later,

I got to get some sleep.

• Members

very interesting

i guess the extra knob in that picture is the second master volume. anyone know how that would affect the sound? (rather than having one master volume like they usually do....my mark 1 is lower gain, but similar in tone i guess)

post phase inverter master?

• Members

It's truly hard to tell how the amp was configured. The older Mark I's were often customized to suit individual users when they were made, so it's not as easy as grabbing a modern day production amp from the assembly line and knowing they're all relatively the same. That amp could have had any number of variations made to it by Boogie and we'd never know the difference.

• Members

How do we know the amp in that picture is being used for distortion?

...and I never said the studio .22 was used for distortion on nevermind, but being that it was used for it with the pedal, it essentially was.

because they and their studio engineers have said so!

anyway, where did you EVER hear of weezer using a .22 for anything? seriously, did you just make that up?

• Members

because they and their studio engineers have said so!

anyway, where did you EVER hear of weezer using a .22 for anything? seriously, did you just make that up?

Not being an asshole, but where have they said that?

You know, I am not one to spread misinformation at all, but I believe this is what we surmised in a thread long ago of the same topic. IF I am incorrect, I will gladly re-update my software.

• Members

Not being an asshole, but where have they said that?

You know, I am not one to spread misinformation at all, but I believe this is what we surmised in a thread long ago of the same topic. IF I am incorrect, I will gladly re-update my software.

the 60-watt somewhat-modified mark-i boogie is the only boogie they ever talk about. they call it "the boogie" or "the oddball boogie", not "a boogie" or "one of the boogies" ... it's always "THE boogie" that rivers bought in '93. it's the only boogie they've used for anything.

• Members

the 60-watt somewhat-modified mark-i boogie is the only boogie they ever talk about. they call it "the boogie" or "the oddball boogie", not "a boogie" or "one of the boogies" ... it's always "THE boogie" that rivers bought in '93. it's the only boogie they've used for anything.

Ah well it's definitely possible. I have a LOT of info swimming around in me ole noggin. That would make more sense from the sound of it too. The Blue album never sounded like a .22 to me.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok... Here is the scoop. READ THIS:

http://www.weezer.com/info/equipment/

CLIFFS:

The Blue Album was a Mesa Engineering head, it predated the Boogie name. Presumably a MKI.

Clean was recorded with a Jaguar.

Dirty was vintage P90 Gibsons

Brian Bell, the rhythm guitarist joined the band after the recording was finished. All guitar parts were recorded by Rivers.

After the album Rivers bought a Marshall and gave the Mesa to Brian (who joined the band with the Marshall inside the Blue Album jacket). The Mesa is MIA.

Same guitars on the Green Album plus one of the touring double fat strats and a Les Paul Classic. A modified Marshall was used mainly that was owned by Ratt. A Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier was used for some tracks.

For awhile live during this decade they did use PODs.

Rivers now uses Diezel amps.

• Members

I've heard it's either a Mark IV or Mark I, and a Marshall.

This, in the blooklet of they rehearsal space or what ever there was a mesa mark for rivers and what i believe was a 6x10 cabinet, i think the other dude had a marshall head and a 4x12 cab

• Members

This, in the blooklet of they rehearsal space or what ever there was a mesa mark for rivers and what i believe was a 6x10 cabinet, i think the other dude had a marshall head and a 4x12 cab

Please look at the post above you. The tall Marshall cab was a 4x12. Pictures of the inside of the cab in the link in the above post.

The Marshall, the SG Melody Maker and the Warmoth Strat inside the Blue Album cover were not on the album.

• Members

Please look at the post above you. The tall Marshall cab was a 4x12. Pictures of the inside of the cab in the link in the above post.

The Marshall, the SG Melody Maker and the Warmoth Strat inside the Blue Album cover were not on the album.

no {censored} sherlock, i didnt page thru the whole thread reading every post. HCAF noob:facepalm:

• Members

no {censored} sherlock, i didnt page thru the whole thread reading every post. HCAF noob:facepalm:

Well at least I noticed that the thread has been going on for four years and made sure to check what posts have been made most recently.

So good going. I may be new here, but at least I am observant of what is in the thread. Usually it is n00bs that reply without taking notice to the thread.

• 2 months later...

Archived