Is marshall responsible for crunch on WEEZER "Blue Album?"

bstark777

• Members

Originally posted by tlniec

Sounds like you need a Weezer geek in here.

... mic'ed up close w/ condenser(s).

No wonder the rythm sound is so awesome sounding.

The CONDENSER MIC is the key to actually getting those biting crunching treble frequencies recorded accurately.

Whether people know it or not that is probably why Weezer's sound stands out from other bands- who may even be using the same amp.

Another band (maybe I should say "producer") that did not use dynamic mics is Nirvana. They used ribbon mics which also capture the REAL sound of the amp better than a standard (SM57 or whatever) dynamic mic does.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JetCityMatt

Another band (maybe I should say "producer") that did not use dynamic mics is Nirvana.

Butch Vig is the {censored}ing pimp. I haven't heard a recording of his that has sounded anything short of BIG.

• Members

no one mentioned that weezer was also recorded with extreemly low volumes with the mics gained way high. i remember reading an interview with cuomo. it was the one when he apologized for calling his fans a buch of "little bitches" anyone else remember that??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I think they only ran POD's when they played smaller venues. I can't remember where I read/heard this, but they said they wanted to get a more controlled sound in smaller vnues (like when they played shows as Goat Punishment). I think now they actually use their amps.

they used pods on one tour, straight into the PA, then went back to amps, i dont remmeber what tour.....

• 1 year later...
  • Members

instead of bickering, why not just get the info directly from the source?

Okay I don't knwo why I am contributing to the bumpage of this old thread... but in addition to the above, you could just open up the alum's liner notes and see the photo of all their gear in the garage... a Marshall, which appears to say "SLiX" on teh front (TINY font in picture)- yes I know the SLX is the one that exists- I can't read it in teh pic.

There is also a Mesa Mk something with knobs and no sliders on top of a tall marshall cab, plus a bass guitar leaning up against a cab with an Orange on top of it (you know, in case you get hungy while playing).

• Members

How many times do I have to show I was right?:

"In New York, Ric Ocasek introduced Rivers to his guitar collection, from which three guitars got heavy use on the record: A red 60's Fender Jaguar, a 1955 (according to Ric, but it looks like a '59 to me...) Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, double cutaway, and another Les Paul Junior Special, in yellow [not pictured] Here they are, with Jasons Telecaster (more on that later) between them.

equipment4.jpg

The Gibson (above) is definitely one of the finest guitars ive ever seen, and its sound is unbeleivable, responsible for a lot of the sweet crunch found on the blue album. both of the Les Pauls would later return for the Green Album, though by this point Rivers heavily favored the yellow one. [see Green Album section]

Also responsible for that sound is the Mesa Boogie, which was still in top condition at this time. The Mesa was run through the tall Marshall, often at unusually low volume, to get some of the sounds on the album. As far as I know, there are NO effects pedals on the guitar sounds on the Blue Album. Rivers would not start really fooling around with recording with effects and pedals till later..."

• Members

Also responsible for that sound is the Mesa Boogie, which was still in top condition at this time. The Mesa was run through the tall Marshall, often at unusually low volume, to get some of the sounds on the album. As far as I know, there are NO effects pedals on the guitar sounds on the Blue Album. Rivers would not start really fooling around with recording with effects and pedals till later..."

This.

the amp is an old mark 1 (six knobs, dyno labels on the back..)

there are various video clips of the recording of the first album on that dvd they put out a few years ago (video capture device?), and there were two marshall heads in the studio as well.

• Members

The Mesa looks like a Mark I or Mark IIA. Perhaps the extra pullout knobs he was talking about meant it was a Mark II prototype? I had a IIA for awhile and it was definitely capable of those sounds. The IIC+ I had was too, but sounded more refined and hence, less Blue album-ish.

Looks like they rocked a Randall RG100ES for awhile too.:thu:

• Members

Dude, don't come undone over it...

if you don't want to destroy your sweater.

(this means I should go to sleep- it is now official)

• Members

The Mesa looks like a Mark I or Mark IIA. Perhaps the extra pullout knobs he was talking about meant it was a Mark II prototype? I had a IIA for awhile and it was definitely capable of those sounds. The IIC+ I had was too, but sounded more refined and hence, less Blue album-ish.

Looks like they rocked a Randall RG100ES for awhile too.
:thu:

i'm fairly sure the old mark 1's had two pull knobs as standard (gain boost and pull bright).

all the ones i've seen have had them anyway.

you can see that particular amp here

http://weezer.com/info/equipment/r_92.html

looks like the average mark 1 to me, except for the extra knob on the back (and effects loop?)

Archived