Is marshall responsible for crunch on WEEZER "Blue Album?"

bstark777

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bstark777

Our rhythm guitar player is lookin to change his rig and he is chasin weezer's blue album tone. Sounds like multi-tracked marshall to me. anybody have the low down on gear used for this session??

thanks in advance.

Yes I believe that is some Marshall magic. I can't remember which one but there was a website that documented their gear every album+tour. It was almost always Marshall except the very beginning. I think that they have one of the best recorded guitar sounds as of lately. Its sort of what I have been going for myself!

• Members

Originally posted by Caroway

But live everything is a POD. The amps are dummies.

I think they only ran POD's when they played smaller venues. I can't remember where I read/heard this, but they said they wanted to get a more controlled sound in smaller vnues (like when they played shows as Goat Punishment). I think now they actually use their amps.

• Members

Sounds like you need a Weezer geek in here.

Blue album rhythm was primarily Les Paul DC w/ P90s into a Rare Mesa MK I (pre 'Boogie') amp. Amp @ low volume, mic'ed up close w/ condenser(s).

Some clean stuff was done on a Jaguar (e.g. Surfwax intro, I believe) and another Fender guitar.

The Big Muff (and other indeterminate pedals) + Marshalls setup was used for Pinkerton. Rivers was still using a Les Paul (not sure if it was a P-90 or Humbucker guitar, though).

Green was (again) Les Paul + Marshalls, no big Muff (that I'm aware of), though -- just amp distortion.

Maladroit was Marshalls 'cranked to 11,' this time I think Rivers was using a Gibson Explorer most of the time.

Make Believe, I'm not sure what they recorded with.

Warmoth double-fat Strats and Marshalls HAVE been used for touring ever since Blue, but these weren't used to record. During some of the 2002 Maladroit-era touring, they used PODs, but have since gone away from that. Rivers is now playing an SG through a Diezel.

• Members

Originally posted by tlniec

Green was (again) Les Paul + Marshalls, no big Muff (that I'm aware of), though -- just amp distortion.

Make Believe, I'm not sure what they recorded with.

Rivers played a Dual Recto (and a bit of AC-30 for cleans) on Green while Bryan played a modded Marshall (Friedman, I think)

Make Believe has a lot of VH-4 on it.

• Members

Originally posted by orangebic

Rivers played a Dual Recto (and a bit of AC-30 for cleans) on Green while Bryan played a modded Marshall (Friedman, I think)

Whoops, looks like I need to check myself. Thanks for the correction. :)

• Members

Originally posted by orangebic

Yeah, you definitely hear some Recto in there some places... Interesting Marshall bit, dave Friedman? Guy from Naked Amps that built Billy Howerdell's Marshall?

Archived