Hurricane Katrina....Pray for New Orleans.

Dale B.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's 4 p.m. here and it looks like the storm is starting it's northward trek towards N.O. I was talking to my brother from Florida and he said F.E.M.A.'s forecasting 40,000 deaths. . .here in the U.S. I find that unbelievable! If that happens it's waaaaay worse than Betsy or Camille. I've got to go to F.E.M.A.'s website and see if that's an accurate projection.

• Members
Originally posted by Rusty G.

It's 4 p.m. here and it looks like the storm is starting it's northward trek towards N.O. I was talking to my brother from Florida and he said F.E.M.A.'s forecasting 40,000 deaths. . .here in the U.S. I find that unbelievable! If that happens it's waaaaay worse than Betsy or Camille. I've got to go to F.E.M.A.'s website and see if that's an accurate projection.

:eek: oh man, I hope that's wrong :(

• Members

My Dad evacuated this morning from NO. He lives just on the north side of the lake. He said as he was leaving, he saw the emergency crews stuffing the levy with dynomite. Ya see... New Orleans is about 7-8 feet below sea level. They have to put Levies up to keep the water from the ocean, lake, and river from covering the city. For all intents and purposes, that land isn't supposed to be dry. It SHOULD be under water. But, man made engineering has kept it out.

Now the problem is.... those same levies that keep water out is going to keep water in like a giant bath tub. The emergency crews are creating blast points in the levy in order to let the water flow back OUT of the city once it's flooded.

So.... the next questions is.... if they blast the levys to let the water flow back out of the city.... what's going to keep the Missippi and the lake from flooding the city.

I'd say they are officially screwed. I've been praying and will continue to pray.

-Tom

• Members

Originally posted by Rusty G.

I find it unbelievable too. I doubt there are even 400 deaths.

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

The eye must be like 25 miles across at least, and since the hurricane moves at like ~15 mph, you could stay in it in a boat until you hit shore, and then you'd be screwed.
:p

you wouldn't want to be in that eye right now - probably 60-90ft waves

Archived