Hurricane Katrina....Pray for New Orleans.

Dale B.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To SRO, Rusty G, 99Vette and all you guys down in LA. I don't know any of you guys or anything, but I'm hoping you and your families will be ok. Take care guys and be safe.

And keep those guitars out of the water!

Best of luck, guys.

• Members

It's a big bad storm. Probably the worst that has hit New Orleans ever. I live in Lafayette. We're at least 120 miles west of New Orleans, and we're expecting 35 to 50 mph sustained winds and tons of rain. Nothing more. It's those poor souls living in New Orleans and east of there that I'm concerned about. Check out this:

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm12/stormsurgeforecast_large.html

The levees in New Orleans are only 15 feet high, and they've probably settled at least 3 feet or so in the years since they were built. I really think New Orleans is really in for a bad 24 hours.

It's not like we aren't taking it seriously. My law partner and I closed our office tomorrow and called our staff and told them to stay home or get out of town. Still many people fleeing New Orleans are staying here, and we don't really expect it to be very bad tomorrow for us, at least according to the predictions.

I'm going to stay close to the computer and television for the next few hours and as long as the direction of the storm appears north, we'll be O.K. If it veers west, we'll probably haul the old proverbial "arse out of Dodge" in the middle of the night.

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

The eye must be like 25 miles across at least, and since the hurricane moves at like ~15 mph, you could stay in it in a boat until you hit shore, and then you'd be screwed.
:p

from that pic..Its looks more like 50 or more..

I have heard that the eye is the quietest part..when one passed over my cousins house it was dead silent..and then picked up again..its the bands that you see that you have to worry about..

• Members

Well, we're gonna sit up, post, and play Tiger Woods 2005 until it's over, or the power's out.

They're projecting 50 mph winds, with 75+ gusts, I'm sure we'll be flooded into our apt complex for a coupel of days if the rain comes fast... So you guys might be seeing a lot of me if we still have power. :D

Also, I've got my digi-cam and a really cheesy raincoat, so as long as it's semi-safe (it's dumb anyway), we're gonna try to get some good storm pics for you guys.

Peace out, thanks for the prayers.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

I've always wondered what it would be like to be in the eye of a hurricane with all this swirling death around you in a boat or something. Must be incredible.

I've been in the eye of a few, but not in a boat of course. It pretty strange...in a well defined eye, the storm just lets up and you get a sunny day for up to a few hours. At that point the back wall hits you and all hell breaks loose again.

-Joe

• Members

If the winds stay above 120mph at landfall I'd say the waves would laugh at those levi's... but what do I know :(

I once played in new orleans on tour, and while I didn't like it too much, I never thought something like this would happen! To think the stage I stood on will probably be underwater soon...

• Members
Originally posted by sertivide-grazy

This just in!! The cams might not be accessable anymore!

Owell! thats a hurricane for you.

FIrst come first served. SErver overload.

GOOOD LUCK NEW ORLEANS.

well now its official. The cams are gone courtesy of katrina. Power outage.

Hey! check out the weather report in New Orleans

New_Orleans.gif
oh wait! you can't. Katrina says "fugg off"

The superdome survived katrina's kryptonite but has a slight wound.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=ayaPW10WtNcM&refer=top_world_news

Archived