Should I take up singing?

nickname009

• Members

I've been a guitarist for all my life, my band and I have been searching for a singer the whole summer. My drummer thinks he can sing (he can't) but he likes to, and I don't mind letting him front the band and us finding another drummer, the only problem is I'm pretty sure the reason he wants to sing is for the bragging rights/to show off, and not exactly for the band. He believes singing's a gift, you either got it or don't, I don't, i think it's just like any instrument, it takes hard work, dedication, and since he wanted to try singing so badly, him and I rehearsed once with just him singing all the way through, and he was horrible. I told him all he needs is practice, and he said no, it's either you have it or you don't, so i said, ok, then you don't have it.

I actually took some vocal lessons a couple years back and have a pretty good idea of what I'd need to do, but it's been years so I don't know if i'll be committed enough. Also, since i'm one of the guitarists I'd have to practice singing/playing A LOT, i never did have a good sense of timing. I'd also have to be the one to buy the PA system, since I'd be the vocalist and whatnot, that'll burn a hole in my pocket for sure! I'd probably have to be the one to do most of the songwriting as well since i'm the guitarist AND the vocalist!!! I think it might be a lot of work...maybe too much for me to handle, but if it worked out, it'd be a great advancement for the band. I now feel that if I started practicing singing these whole 4 months of summer rather than look for one, I could've done some major good! AGR!

What do i do? Should I take the big step investing my time and money in singing and start going at it? Or should I just lay back and keep searching?

• Members

You are totally on track with understanding it takes all the work you mentioned. The drummer doesn't have a clue just by his remark. But that's okay because once you start doing it and you become fair to good at it a lot of people will think "you got it". Hey, we don't want to go around setting everybody straight on the bad info they have now do we?;)

You could get a very good mic and a really good powered speaker that you can plug a mic dirctly into and it will sound great and loud, something like a Yorkville NX550P, and you've got a perfect practice PA. It is also a start of a killer PA system to expand on. Then practice practice practice playing and singing and tape yourself and hear your mistakes and fix 'em.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with a lead singer right now. Your drummer is an excellent example of why I am glad. When someone does something in music and thinks it sounds good and it's bad their future in music will eventually be NOT.

I know when I'm off, just like with my guitar playing sometimes, which makes me practice to fix my mistakes.

• Members

I my Aunt is/was a colorturist...which means..she does all the really high notes in the Opera..She used to live in NYC and take lesson from the same teacher as Beverly Sills..( whom she is still good friends with ).

I would suggest that you think about what you want to do and go for it..If you dont..your going to get old one day and not be able to do it...

your choice..if you want it bad enough..you'll find away.

• Members

That's pretty much what happened to me. I played guitar in bands all the time. I was frustrated with the singers AND I didn't want to front a band. I honestly didn't think I had what it took to be a lead singer.

I had performed as a singer when I was younger many times so I knew that I had some ability. However, after taking lessons I was able to realize some potential. Just like any instrument, I think it's something that always needs to be developed.

And YES, you will have a lot more responsibility. For example, when my current band was first starting out I wrote most of the guitar, all of the bass and all the vocal melodies and lyrics. Not only that but I had to get better at singing and playing at the same time. In my previous band, I played guitar on a couple of songs. But in this band, I'm playing guitar all the time(I prefer it that way for psychological reasons). And I don't play power chord only rythmns. It takes time and it's hard work.

• Members

I'm a much better singer than I'll ever be guitar player so when I got forced into it in my old band it wasnt' the worst thing in the world.

Just A LOT OF WORK.

I'm not the DLR type of wacky crazy "hey how are all you crazy fans out there tonight" type of lead.....I feel most comfortable sitting with a guitar, however, that is MUCH more work because you have to know both the singing and rhythm guitar inside out to be able to do both at the same time.

It's weird, because the actual singing for a song I could pick up in an hour...maybe a night. Integrating that with the guitar took hours for me at first....especially if the two parts are asynchronus.

I did have my limits though....I have no idea how guys like Mustaine reach that level of being able to do two completely different things at the same time with such accuracy.

Overall it was rewarding though...it gave me a sense of power because good guitar players are a dime a dozen....guys who can really sing and play some guitar are not I've found in my experience.

I got offers to join a few other "bands" but they wanted me to strictly front....I didn't feel comfortable doing that...I'm a wuss I hide behind the guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

I got offers to join a few other "bands" but they wanted me to strictly front....I didn't feel comfortable doing that...I'm a wuss I hide behind the guitar.

Even though I fronted my last band without a guitar, I feel much more comfortable with one in front of me. Besides, I don't want to do cartwheels or jump around or something idiotic when I'm not singing. At least with a guitar, I have an excuse not to act like a tool.

• Members

I've been trying to catch on with a band, or start a new one, for quite a while now. Between being an old fart, and being mediocre on guitar, I haven't been able to put it together... yet.

I've been giving some serious thought to really, really, practicing my singing (I can do a passable job now on some stuff) and playing together to get a band going.

I've also thought about playing bass (insert jokes here). I've done a few gigs on bass, I know I could get along with enough practice... it just feels wrong. I don't want to play bass, but when I look at musician wanted ads

• Members

There are any number of reasons why it's good for a musician to take up singing. A word of advice, though. If you intend to sing professionally, or even semiprofessionally, you've got to be doing it all the time. Give it the same attention you give to your other instruments, or you'll always find it a struggle. I know because I studied singing for 3 years but I never really dedicated myself to practicing around the home or with bands. Although I know what to do with my voice, I'm hardly able to any more. :(

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

Even though I fronted my last band without a guitar, I feel much more comfortable with one in front of me. Besides, I don't want to do cartwheels or jump around or something idiotic when I'm not singing. At least with a guitar, I have an excuse not to act like a tool.

Yeah....I just don't have that kind of personality to do that stuff I don't think.

Or at least I haven't seen a frontman only "stage persona" that could be me....

And it's not that I don't like interacting with the crowd but I hate saying gay stuff like, "how is everybody doing tonight...is everybody ready to rock??"

or

"let me hear you scream if like rock!!"

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

Yeah....I just don't have that kind of personality to do that stuff I don't think.

Or at least I haven't seen a frontman only "stage persona" that could be me....

And it's not that I don't like interacting with the crowd but I hate saying gay stuff like, "how is everybody doing tonight...is everybody ready to rock??"

or

"let me hear you scream if like rock!!"

I actually feel that I can communicate with the crowd and be one of those crazy dancing frontmen. But when I first started to learn guitar I always idolized James Hetfield, not cause of his singing or playing, but because he can do both. Ok guys, i'm gonna do it! You've all convinced me! I'm gonna try my hardest and practice every damn day till I'm confident and I'll eventually buy either a PA system or just skip to the in-ear monitor systems!

• Members

I have a terrible voice so it would be lost on me but I have known a couple guitarist that took up singing lessons and they said it really improved their guitar playing as well because they understood pitch better. I say go for it! Like said before even if you find a singer being able to do backup is great.

• Members

Originally posted by nickname009

I actually feel that I can communicate with the crowd and be one of those crazy dancing frontmen. But when I first started to learn guitar I always idolized James Hetfield, not cause of his singing or playing, but because he can do both. Ok guys, i'm gonna do it! You've all convinced me! I'm gonna try my hardest and practice every damn day till I'm confident and I'll eventually buy either a PA system or just skip to the in-ear monitor systems!

Do ya wanna rock??? THEN LET'S ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

Do ya wanna rock??? THEN LET'S ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'

i forgot to mention (this entire time) that i'm in a metal band, so it's probably going to be more screaming than singing i won't exactly be rocking...............

I'LL BE {censored}IN METALLING OUT!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I'll eventually buy either a PA system or just skip to the in-ear monitor systems!

I'm not sure how in-ear monitors will help your band hear you. I have in-ears but the PA should be there first, IMO. The band needs to learn how to play with you singing.

• Members

I'm not sure how in-ear monitors will help your band hear you. I have in-ears but the PA should be there first, IMO. The band needs to learn how to play with you singing.

well how i had it planned was, get the PA mixer, and get my vocal mic and guitar amp mic. Then the other band members, buy their own mics if they wanna be hooked up to the PA. I buy the in ear monitor system along with my own transmitter pack/ear piece and they buy their own transmitter packs etc. So that they can hear the full mix.

That's how I plan the in ear monitors to be used....it'll work.......right?

• Members

well how i had it planned was, get the PA mixer, and get my vocal mic and guitar amp mic. Then the other band members, buy their own mics if they wanna be hooked up to the PA. I buy the in ear monitor system along with my own transmitter pack/ear piece and they buy their own transmitter packs etc. So that they can hear the full mix.

I guess that could work. I guess the issue would be having enough outputs for all of their transmitters/earpieces. You'd probably have to learn a little bit about bussing and submixing.

• Members

I guess that could work. I guess the issue would be having enough outputs for all of their transmitters/earpieces. You'd probably have to learn a little bit about bussing and submixing.

Don't the transmitters/earpieces pick up the signal from the main inear monitor system with their antennas? You know...like a wireless system?

• Members

It could if everybody buys into it. Go post your question in a thread over in the Live Sound and Production forum. There's some real pro's over there about PA's, monitor systems, mixers, and everything like that. Don't worry if they insult you..just be patient and they'll help you.

Archived