Which MP3 player for $200ish?

AtillaTheHungry

• Members

I got an iPod Mini 5GB for my birthday, but I decided that I want more HD space, so I'm going to return it and invest the $200 elsewhere. I was looking at a 20GB iPod for $250, but I noticed that the Creative Zen Xtra 40GB is only $200, so I have pretty much abandoned the idea of an iPod altogether.

I also noticed that there are the Zen Touch versions, which cost a bit more, have a different control setup, and claim a 24 hour battery life over the 14 hours of the Xtra versions. The 20GB version is about $200. I don't think that I could fill that up, but I can't really know for sure. All the music on my computer is about 1,100 songs occupying 4.5GB, but I could certainly put a heck of a lot more on there.

There are a few of these right at my price range, so I'm pretty set on going with one Zen model or the other with some fairly large HD space. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't know much about any of this stuff, as I've never owned or reallly even used anything but my brother's crappy iPod Shuffle.

• Members

Originally posted by Skr4ped

Although if you want the extra accessories, I think iPod is the way to go right now.

+1

I just saw/heard a clock radio thingamabob you place your iPod in at Best Buy...super handy and sounded amazing, they make everything for the iPod.... :eek: it's a never ending, money pit of accessories...I'm sure that's the whole idea...Apple has/is making a killing with it...I dig it though, it's a great product. ;)

• Members

My xclef mp3 player blows ipod out of the water.. it has a record line in, record external mic, AUX, FM tuner, FM tuner recorder and 100 friggen gb's of space for 300 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont need any software to use it, it shows up as a backup drive on a PC or Mac. I have backed my whole laptop on it before, what a life saver.

Granted it may not be as PRETTY as the ipod.. but I can take my line6 pod and record straight into it!!! And my xclef player has paid for itself 10 fold!!! Plus I am not screwed like most ipod buyers because their software now, wont let them transfer copy protected CD's that just are coming out to put on their ipods... and that sucks major (and to anyone says the black marker trick, or that crack thats out) They fixed that, so people cant do it anymore.

Plus I hope no one is dumb enough to pay for extended warranties and sign up for warranties for the IPOD.. because if you search online, the RIAA has been buying those lists and sending warning letters to owners of ipods as to not download free music online, kind of "We are watching you" letters. So MAC is trying to make more money scaring mp3 sharing there for trying to get more people to buy itunes. Now that is just evil....

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger50

So MAC is trying to make more money scaring mp3 sharing there for trying to get more people to buy itunes. Now that is just evil....

Who is MAC?

I thought MACs were teller machines.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger50

My xclef mp3 player blows ipod out of the water.. it has a record line in, record external mic, AUX, FM tuner, FM tuner recorder and 100 friggen gb's of space for 300 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont need any software to use it, it shows up as a backup drive on a PC or Mac. I have backed my whole laptop on it before, what a life saver.

Granted it may not be as PRETTY as the ipod.. but I can take my line6 pod and record straight into it!!! And my xclef player has paid for itself 10 fold!!! Plus I am not screwed like most ipod buyers because their software now, wont let them transfer copy protected CD's that just are coming out to put on their ipods... and that sucks major (and to anyone says the black marker trick, or that crack thats out) They fixed that, so people cant do it anymore.

Plus I hope no one is dumb enough to pay for extended warranties and sign up for warranties for the IPOD.. because if you search online, the RIAA has been buying those lists and sending warning letters to owners of ipods as to not download free music online, kind of "We are watching you" letters. So MAC is trying to make more money scaring mp3 sharing there for trying to get more people to buy itunes. Now that is just evil....

I bought the extended warranty (3 years) I am pretty dumb though :rolleyes: ...but no threatening letters...looking forward to it though. :confused:

• Members

I like the Rio Karma the best, but my needs are probably different than most people's. I need a player that can play .ogg and .FLAC files in addition to .wma and .mp3. It's 20 gigs, but you can hack it for a bigger hard drive. It's very easy to dissasemble should you need to replace any part, the community support for it is HUGE - www.riovolution.com and the software for transferring/indexing files is nice. The dock has RCA outputs for plugging into a stereo, and also an ethernet port to use it as a network storage device. Or if you want to wirelessly stream your music around the house, you can attach it to a wireless router that way as well.

VERY cool.

The downsides is that I think that particular model is discontinued. Rio will still offer customer support on it however. The Rio works with the Linux operating system and that is a *HUGE* selling point for me as well since I prefer it to windows. It's overall a great unit and I paid $80 total for mine. I bought it used from eBay with a broken LCD, and then bought a replacement LCD - voila, worked like a charm.

For what it's worth, I don't mind the iPods, I think they're pretty neat, but there are better values for the money IMO.

I hear the Cowon iAudio players and the iRiver H series are AWESOME.

• Members

Whoa, those Xclef HD 500s look really freaking nice. They have 20 hour battery life, can record, and play OGG files, and the 40GB one is $200! That's nuts! I'm getting me one for sure. Thanks a lot for posting guitarslinger50. I had never heard of those before.

Do they only sell them through Ebay? That's all I've found.

• Members
Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I got an iPod Mini 5GB for my birthday, but I decided that I want more HD space, so I'm going to return it and invest the $200 elsewhere. I was looking at a 20GB iPod for $250, but I noticed that the Creative Zen Xtra 40GB is only $200, so I have pretty much abandoned the idea of an iPod altogether.

I also noticed that there are the Zen Touch versions, which cost a bit more, have a different control setup, and claim a 24 hour battery life over the 14 hours of the Xtra versions. The 20GB version is about $200. I don't think that I could fill that up, but I can't really know for sure. All the music on my computer is about 1,100 songs occupying 4.5GB, but I could certainly put a heck of a lot more on there.

There are a few of these right at my price range, so I'm pretty set on going with one Zen model or the other with some fairly large HD space. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't know much about any of this stuff, as I've never owned or reallly even used anything but my brother's crappy iPod Shuffle.

I have 1,800 songs on my Zen Touch, and have 7.7 GB used. IT'll die before I use all the room up.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Just got a DMC Xclef 8280 on eBay for $149. Only 20GB, but lots of features - FM tuner, line in recording, works as USB hard drive, plays MP3, WMA, and OGG, and has PIM functions ad a few games including Tetris. Pretty good battery life (12-15 hours), and the 1.8" hard drive makes it smaller and lighter than the larger 2/5" hard drive models.

• Members

i got a good deal on a 40gb ZEN TOUCH so i went with that. so far, i have about 400 of my cd's on there and used half of the memory. it will be about 3/4 filled when i'm done but i can go back and delete the cd's/songs i don't really listen to. so that should give you an idea if 20gb will be enough for you.

one thing i don't like about it is that the fm tuner/remote is not included and costs $40-$50 new. i'm going to keep checking around to see if i can find it cheaper.

• Members

Originally posted by jTreu

when i was looking for an mp3 player last year i was trying not to get an ipod but theres really nothing that compares to it. now that they have color and video i dont think it can get muchbetter.

Guess you're easy to please. iPods have a battery that the user can't replace, Apple charges you $100 to replace it, won't even guarantee that you will get the same iPod back unless you pay extra, There is an entire page on their web site warning you against things you shouldn't do with the battery. They also try to lock you into using iTunes, and don't use MP3 as their defualt format.

I'd say there is a LOT of room for improvement. Apple WILL get it right, it will just take another generation or so.

• Members

Originally posted by bdegrande

Guess you're easy to please. iPods have a battery that the user can't replace, Apple charges you $100 to replace it, won't even guarantee that you will get the same iPod back unless you pay extra, There is an entire page on their web site warning you against things you shouldn't do with the battery. They also try to lock you into using iTunes, and don't use MP3 as their defualt format.

I'd say there is a LOT of room for improvement. Apple WILL get it right, it will just take another generation or so.

i odnt buy music, i use limewire and itunes seems to work fine for me, when i bought the ipod i bought a protection plan from circuit city for $50, when the battery dies i get a new one no questions asked as long as i bring in the ipod.

Archived