OT : will age change my music tastes ?

Logicat

• Members

Hmmm. I have a pet peeve about music nostalgia. Many people hold on to the music that they knew as teenagers, no matter how sucky it was, and no matter how much their tastes have changed. If the same song had never been written, and they were hearing it from a brand-new band for the first time, they would plug their noses "what is that crap?" My wife is like that-- drives me crazy. I'm guilty too, but not as bad as most. Safety Dance still kicks ass.

People are like that with quite a few things life - not just music - but buying the old car or motorbike they loved as a kid, still wanting to go to the same restaurant, go on the same holidays...

Me, I'm 40 and have found the music I was wanting to hear when I was a teenager.

Safety Dance - was crap then and is crap now! :)

• Members

I think maybe it's a question of what you like to listen for in music. I think there's certain rhythms, melodies and other type sounds that appeal to us and we can apply that fancy to past as well as future music. That's probably why most of us can say we still listen to similar music as we did when were were kids, but i'm sure also we all more or less experienced a bulge around the teenaged years, where maybe it was more social or had more exposure to new types of music and eventually it tapers off and you start feeling "old".

My whole wall is full of LPs that I had as tapes back in the 80's. Even though i'm still ok with it, there's not much grunge or alternative around..

This is a really good read that expounds that a bit..

http://www.amazon.com/What-Listen-Music-Aaron-Copland/dp/0451226402/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237336585&sr=8-1

• Members

Well, I can say - probably yes.

I have started listening to music actively with Queen. My first love, that band. Then, I went on to some JRock music (X Japan, various anime soundtracks - really diverse music styles in those). After that, it came metal, and to this day it still is (as well as all my "old loves", I don't ditch one type of music after the new one comes).

And I'm still evolving. Lately I've been a lot into older prog rock bands, such as early Kansas (LOVE THEM!), EL&P, etc. And also some progressive/electronica/ambiental stuff... Chroma Key, for example.

So yeah, you will change and/or enrich your music taste with years to come.

• Members

I think it has a lot to do with the music that you listened to when your hormones were in full gear.

Other than a handful of exceptions, I don't listen to much music that I listened to as a teen, because it stopped being interesting long ago. I enjoy it when it comes over the iPod when I'm shuffling, but I generally don't set out to listen to it.

I actively avoid "80's parties" which switched from being fun to being oppressive and quasi-reactionary around the turn of the century.

I don't tend to give a damn when a song was recorded. What's more important is when it becomes part of my listening universe. I leave the culture of judging music by its age to college radio DJ hipsters.

• Members

The ambient music I create and listen to now didn't even exist when I was a teenager. The music I listened to then and as a preteen, Beatles, Stones, Deep Purple, Mason Williams, ELP, Yes, Alman Bros., Zep, Jeff Beck, and countless others had elements of blues, jazz and classical which I delved into later after high school. At the age when I got into jazz(early 20s) Miles Davis was making history with it. This scares the crap out of me. Mozart was writing symphonies as a kid. Alot of classical stuff was written by young composers.

As for electronica, hip-hop, rap, my ears just reject those genres like a CD that won't play. As for today's rock, most of what I've heard is directed at teens exclusively and omits lead guitar. Don't care for Sci-Fi or Action film music either, no way do I want to delve into video game music period. :p

Steve

• Members

Perhaps I'm the only one but my tastes have changed and expanded. Aside form a certain few, I really can't stomach Hip Hop anymore. I used to be all into it in my youth. Not a fan of todays Pop and R&B either. Was also into these artists back then as well.

I got a taste of the underground (in the US) back in the early 90's and pretty much turned my back on the mainstream (US). Expanded on the genres of Electronic Dance music. Branched out to Contemporary Jazz after hearing Paul Hardcastle. Finally some Jazz that wasn't drowned in the use of "traditional" instruments.

For whatever reason, people change. Your no different and IMHO, age has a part in it as life lived will bring about the desire for new experiences or stubborn stagnation.

• Members
The ambient music I create and listen to now didn't even exist when I was a teenager. The music I listened to then and as a preteen, Beatles, Stones, Deep Purple, Mason Williams, ELP, Yes, Alman Bros., Zep, Jeff Beck, and countless others had elements of blues, jazz and classical which I delved into later after high school. At the age when I got into jazz(early 20s) Miles Davis was making history with it. This scares the crap out of me. Mozart was writing symphonies as a kid. Alot of classical stuff was written by young composers.

As for electronica, hip-hop, rap, my ears just reject those genres like a CD that won't play. ....

Steve

but, but, but all the selections on your soundclick page say "electronica"

Nice work btw. Seems we have similar musical interests growing up and even now. :)

• Members

Oh you are such an old man :poke:

Do my tastes change? I find that music that I like will stick with me as music that I like. I might rotate it out of the stack of stuff I am listening to now, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. As far as listening to new stuff, I add stuff that I like all the time. It wouldn't be any fun to listen to music if there was not different stuff to like.

When I was younger I allowed myself to influenced by pseudo-intellectual and/or pseudo-cultural reasons for choosing music to like and dislike. For example I would choose not to like music that had sequenced synthesizers in it because I had this idea that everything had to be played by virtuosos. Also I would choose not to like music that was simple because it was simple. After aging and growing I realized that I was being stupid and dismissing lots of stuff that I might like. Now I really like a lot of sequenced music and make my own too. I also really like a good song that has the right lyrics, delivery, production, and sound even if it has nothing but a I-IV-V chord sequence.

• Members

when I first got into music as an adolescent in the early 80s- I was into Hearts of Space/ Tangerine Dream/kraftwerk/ new wave/thrash metal and I still love all that stuff - in college I got into industrial/goth/ebm/techno and I still love all of that- even the dated stuff like Wax Trax! - I get the same goosebumps hearing Tangerine Dream 80s soundtracks now as I did when I was a kid-

the only thing that has changed is the sheer volume of music that I obsess over-

• Members
Oh you are such an old man :poke:

Who me? Perhaps, but I still love me some good ole Vocal Deep or Funky House. It just doesn't get old to me. I still listen to tracks by Adeva and Col. Abrams as well as new stuff from Kaskade, Booty Luv, and Ananda Project.

This stuff is still all about the music to me and not the marketing. And that's become very cool to me in my age. ;)

• Members

When I was a teenager, (for the most part) music was about image. I wanted to intimidate you with my "scary" music. Priest, Sabbath, Dio, Etc. Also, I was a Led Zeppelin freak, I couldn't get enough of The Zep. You couldn't convince me there wasn't a better drummer than Bonzo.

In my 20s, I opened up a little, and discovered Rush. I became a huge fan boy of them, and you couldn't convince me there wasn't a better drummer than NP.

In my 30s, I became a full blown Prog Snob. If it wasn't written in 13/8, have 14.5 muscial changes in it, and last 37 minutes a song, I didn't want to hear it. I did this because I'm smarter (therefore better) than "the masses", and because Prog Metal can be pretty intimidating. (Listen to The Glass Prison or The Mirror by Dream Theater). You couldn't convince me there wasn't a better drummer than Mike Portnoy.

Now, in my mid 40s, I've grown up a little, and find myself appreciating just about anything. Top 40 doesn't bother me (Justin Timberlakes new song is actually kind of cool), and I'm listening with new ears. I heard Tears for Fears "Head over Heels" today and thought to myself, "That's a really well written song song with some cool synth and bass going on !"

And drummers today ? Gavin Harrison, of course. You can't convince me otherwise. ;)

NsHyGbadzQQ

• Members

Of course new musics may emerge by then that you like just as well or better. I regard death and black metal as often being the newer version of the prog rock of the 70's and like it justg as well and often more. Electronica dance music didnt exist when I was a teenager thru early 20's though I often wished the electronica bands of back then had more dance sense rythum to em. I think todays dark ambient is better then the ambient music of the 70's and early 80's. I'll still be listening to bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir when I'm in my 70's and whatever is the version of that then. Hopefully the electronica trance and gao music of then will be as good as it is now or even better. You'll only stop listening to your fave type musics and regard them as childish if you kill off your kid at heart spirit. Which is a bad thing to do.

Archived