OT : will age change my music tastes ?

Logicat

• Members

I was wondering about this 'cause im getting very (and i mean VERY, man) aged right now (i'm almost 34).

My music tastes are partly childish (i like anime signatures, videogame soundtracks and the like) and partly "silly" (techno/headache stuff). I also like very much orchestral simulation, expecially epic/hero-style, from anime shows again.

Since i'm practicing with these kind of music, i was wondering if when i will be, say, 50/60 YO, my tastes will be changed, so that i will like, say, more "intellectual" stuff (jazz, classic...:facepalm:). I love the genres i listen/play now, but it's quite hard to me to think that when i'll be 60, i will be still listening Prodigy, Orbital, screaming techno mixes and Sailormoon soundtracks...Or not ?

So how's the story ? Did your age change your tastes, or do you like the same music you were listening when you were an embryo ?

I am a bit worried about the future...:rolleyes:

• Members

I'm not worried about my musical taste changing. I'm more worried about not being able to keep an open mind towards musical genres.

+1

Hopefully your music taste will "change" in the sense that you'll still appreciate what you listen to now, yet you won't turn into someone who thinks anything that was released beyond a certain year is crap... :facepalm:

...and hopefully the opposite won't happen either: I've seen old men and women who think they're teenagers and try really hard to impress the young'ins... :facepalm:

• Members

I've grown into my music and my women! I'm 40 now and still listening to Aerosmith, Journey, Motley Crue, Rush, Ozzy, Deep Purple etc.

I never fancied teenage girls when I was a teenager and don't now. I always liked their mums and now I'm the right age for it.

I've no desire to start listening to opera or trad jazz. Just like I don't anticipate getting the hots for seventy year olds!

• Members

Sure, my musical taste has evolved over the years and the fact that I've grown older has probably affected my tastes a lot.

Just face it... in ten years time... Anime tunes will be replaced with Steely Dan... :p

- CM

• Members

I think most people's primary taste in music is established when they're about 15 to 22 years of age, plus or minus a few years. This is not to say that older adults don't ever like new music that comes along, but the core of musical taste for many seems to resonate in the experiences of teen age and young adulthood.

Part of it stems from the fact that standards of composition and production have radically changed since, say, the 70s. For myself, I listen to very little music from the 90s or later, because a lot of it just sounds hollow and repetitious. Not all of it, but a lot of it. It seems we're now in the 'copy and paste' era of arrangement and composition. To my ears, there's a lot more emulation than innovation going on, by and large.

When I listen to something good from 30 years ago, I find myself often saying "They just don't play or write 'em like that anymore." It may sound trite, but it also happens to be true.

• Members

quick check: has your taste changed since you were, say, 14?

If so, then it will probably continue to change. You'll find deeper meaning in some music and some, I'm afraid, will stop being interesting.

Life is short, so you may decide that it's simply not worth putting the effort into really understanding new musical genres. Rather, you may decide to dig deeper into the music you already listen to.

And, though you'll still find appeal in the the songs of lust and heartache from your peak mating years, new songs about humping to the boogie boogie beat won't have that much interest for you. You'll have moved on to other topics.

Eventually, you will go deaf and that, too, will affect your choice of listening pleasure.

• Members

As you get older, you have less time. In order to really connect with music, you have to wade through the huge amount of stuff out there in order to find what connects. This is especially true these days, as commercial radio has devolved from the 80% disposable crap of yesteryear to 95% disposable crap.

The way it works as I see it, as you get older, you are either one of the few older ones that keep up on things, or you become the vast majority that treasure the music from their teenage years and bitch about how the music of today sucks.

It depends on what you get out of concerts, too. If you went mainly to pick up people, show off your fashion statement du jour, etc. then at those shows where you are one of the few older people there, it might be a bugger. If you go to the concerts for the music, of course, you won't give a {censored}.

• Members

I was wondering about this 'cause im getting very (and i mean VERY, man) aged right now (i'm almost 34).

My music tastes are partly childish (i like anime signatures, videogame soundtracks and the like) and partly "silly" (techno/headache stuff). I also like very much orchestral simulation, expecially epic/hero-style, from anime shows again.

Since i'm practicing with these kind of music, i was wondering if when i will be, say, 50/60 YO, my tastes will be changed, so that i will like, say, more "intellectual" stuff (jazz, classic...
:facepalm:
). I love the genres i listen/play now, but it's quite hard to me to think that when i'll be 60, i will be still listening Prodigy, Orbital, screaming techno mixes and Sailormoon soundtracks...Or not ?

So how's the story ? Did your age change your tastes, or do you like the same music you were listening when you were an embryo ?

I am a bit worried about the future...
:rolleyes:

What is most likely is at age 60 you will still be listening to Prodigy, techno, Sailormoon soundtrax, etc.... and also berating young whippersnappers for listening to even newer forms of electronic music, soundtrax of even stranger anime, and lecturing them on how the "old" techno like Prodigy was better, Sailormoon is better than the gawdawful, poor excuse of anime that comes out these days, etc.

Actually, they'll probably be watching Chinese animation and looking at anime the way we look at the classic but very old Mickey Mouse "Steamboat Willie" and Warner Bros. cartoons.

• Members

As I've grown older, I've embraced more and more the music of true maturity:

death metal

aka "Cookie Monster metal" to the grouchy old metal farts who prefer late 70s/early 80s stuff like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio, etc.

• Members

When I listen to something good from 30 years ago, I find myself often saying "They just don't play or write 'em like that anymore." It may sound trite, but it also happens to be true.

I doubt that it's true. One advantage of being a classical geek is having a 300+ year outlook on music. Every generation said "They don't write 'em like that anymore". As we know, they were wrong.

Unless a meteor hits the earth and alters our creativity, there will always be great music out there. The problem is hearing it, but that's another story. When the Beatles were active, there were 3 billion people on earth. In 2012 there will be 7 billion, all with the ability to put their crap on CDBaby.:lol:

• Members

I would say that your tastes will expand, not change. I am over 50 now and I'm working with a so-called classic rock band which means I am relearning all the Deep Purple, Steppenwolf and Santana stuff I played when I was 15 with a new appreciation for the creativity and chops that went into it. At the same time I am still playing Cole Porter and Hoagy Carmichael stuff that I only learned ten years ago but have a deep love and appreciation for. And as a DJ I've had to learn and appreciate some of the newer hip-hop styles that I have come to like.

I can't think of anything I liked as a teenager that I don't like today, but fortunately my tastes were selective even at a young age so it's no big deal being older and having a broader range of music to choose from now.

• Members

When the Beatles were active, there were 3 billion people on earth. In 2012 there will be 7 billion, all with the ability to put their crap on CDBaby.
:lol:

Damn! :eek: I never knew that the population grew so much! I know we're somewhere between 6 and 7 blln now, but I always assumed that in the 60's or even sooner there were some 4-5 blln...

Time to invest in a private island :cool:

• Members

Damn!
:eek:
I never knew that the population grew so much! I know we're somewhere between 6 and 7 blln now, but I always assumed that in the 60's or even sooner there were some 4-5 blln...

Time to invest in a private island
:cool:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762181.html

Year Total world population

(mid-year figures) Ten-year growth

rate (%)

1950 2,556,000,053 18.9%

1960 3,039,451,023 22.0

1970 3,706,618,163 20.2

1980 4,453,831,714 18.5

1990 5,278,639,789 15.2

2000 6,082,966,429 12.6

2010 6,848,932,929 10.7

2020 7,584,821,144 8.7

2030 8,246,619,341 7.3

2040 8,850,045,889 5.6

2050 9,346,399,468

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Members

As I grow older, I like Iron Maiden more and more.

That being said, good blues/jazz? Yes.

Though it's kind of a reverse scenario, when I was 12, I only liked Classical :)

Dio

Dio too!

I have however learned to hate most classic rock I once liked, mainly being exposed to /better/ classic rock, B-sides, and such. I blame Clear Channel. The stuff I don't like is actually probably decent in moderation.

• Members

Your answers provide a bit relief to me. Actually, i'm listening about the same kind of music i was listening when i was a child...:thu:

Thinking a bit about it, i could extend this to other kind of taste, what i eat, my hobbies etc.

I hope i won't be changing my mind in the future, honestly

• Members

Your answers provide a bit relief to me. Actually, i'm listening about the same kind of music i was listening when i was a child...
:thu:
Thinking a bit about it, i could extend this to other kind of taste, what i eat, my hobbies etc.

I hope i won't be changing my mind in the future, honestly

Indeed, by the time you are 60, you will still be listening to what you like, but hating the music of 20 year olds. :thu:

• Members

Well Hopefully.

Unfortunately based on my experience which is almost 2X yours, you tend to be partial to the music you grew up with. In my case it was fortunately the music of the 60's and there was plenty of it and it was good and also timeless.

However I have also embraced the music of the 20's 30's 40's of all genre. So it is just best to keep an open mind a try to find the good of all music. I have not really enjoyed the music of the 90's (19) or 80's generally. However some of the "Indie" stuff, and world music has been enjoyable to me. It just keeps goin' on forever.

• Members

Hmmm. I have a pet peeve about music nostalgia. Many people hold on to the music that they knew as teenagers, no matter how sucky it was, and no matter how much their tastes have changed. If the same song had never been written, and they were hearing it from a brand-new band for the first time, they would plug their noses "what is that crap?" My wife is like that-- drives me crazy. I'm guilty too, but not as bad as most. Safety Dance still kicks ass. :)

My taste has changed some. I'm not really interested in rock at all anymore. I still appreciate the Stones (for example) when I hear them, but there's no way I'm going to put on a Stones CD. There's too much new stuff to check out, and not enough time for it all. In my early 20's, I couldn't stand reggae; I thought it dulled my mind. Now it's all I want (at 36).

Archived