KSS Survey: Collecting data for class!

Gatorkeys

• Members

I need to gather a data set of at least 50 samples for my statistics class, but I could gather any sort of data that I wanted! Could you guys help me out here and just answer 3 short questions? I'll let you know what I come up with based on the data, assuming its of any interest. Depending on the response here, I may have to survey some other boards as well.

1. Value: About 7800

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. approx. $8000 for synth related stuff - which to me includes guitar synths - and maybe $25000 for guitar stuff

2. 34 years

3. No - overwhelmed sometimes, never limited

Alarm system tested and active. Killer attack cats on alert....

• Members

Good gravy I am embarrassed to think about what my home studio gear is worth. So much stuff and so much fiddling around.

1) About 20K

2) I have wanted to play music for as long as I can remember. I can remember playing with the piano at my grandmother's house when I was a preschooler. I remember listening to Respighi with my mother when I was in preschool and day dreaming about fountains. She would listen to Rachmaninoff one day and the beatles or Pete Seeger the next. My dad introduced me to big band and swing, 50's rock and twangy guitar music like Duane Eddy. I listened to Puccini with my grandfather and my uncle Al (Algerd Brazis) was a Metropolitan opera singer (relatively famous among Lithuanian-Americans). I *begged* my parents to let me take music instrument lessons and play in the band. I am 43 so I guess put down 39 years. Dammit, I should be playing music for a living and not designing optical whatchamacallits for 3M. Our house is musically eclectic like that now too - my kids hear all sorts of stuff.

3) Not limited by gear.

• Members

1.) $10K

2.) 30 years

3.) No.

But that doesn't stop me from wanting more. I would say the gear is the least important element to my creative process. Actually, I never use the cool stuff on recordings. I use the easiest and quickest stuff. All the fun stuff I just use to space out and waste time and relax. Purely for fun but not at all productive.

• Members

1.What is the total approximate estimated value of your owned gear currently?
(ROMplers, synths, organs, pianos, epianos, grooveboxes, software, sequencers, samplers, etc.
:blah:
Any keys related stuff that you make music with)

In all, including my PA and upright piano @ my parents' house, computer, interface, monitors, cables, etc. $15,000

2. How many years since you chose to start playing/creating music/taking an active interest in this direction?
(i.e. Don't count childhood lessons that you were just dragged to)

18 Years

3. Do you feel limited by your current gear?

No

(although I'd love for somebody to buy me better studio monitors and a Yamaha C6 :thu:)

• Members

Used prices are very volatile and I got some stuff through trades... so I'll just try to make a guess (if Ebay prices are available I'll just take the last price)

1. About $1,600

2. About 1.5 years (nubsauce)

3. No.

Dude, you are way too opinionated for your level of experience.

• Members

I've taught an introductory research methods and statistics class a couple times at the college level, so I'll help a budding statistician.

1. $3,000 USD

2. Approximately 25 years.

3. Yes.

Good luck with your assignment!

Swandiver.

• Members

P.S.

You might improve your statistical results if you used an ordinal-level variable for question 3--i.e. "How much do you feel limited?": 0=not at all; 1= a little; 2= a moderate amount 3= a lot, 4= completely. (Or something like that).

;)

• Members

1.What is the total approximate estimated value of your owned gear currently?

About $3300.

2. How many years since you chose to start playing/creating music/taking an active interest in this direction?

8 years on a cumulative basis

3. Do you feel limited by your current gear?

Yes

1) Including computers, DAW software, plug-ins, guitars, recording equipment, sets of monitors, mics and of course my synths and MIDI controllers, I guess it is right above $ 20k.

2) Started at age 6 (that means 31 years now) but I'd rather say +20 years.

3) No. I need two things: TIME and INSPIRATION (or a delivery date for a project!). Gear-wise, I'm fine. Could have more, obviously :lol:

• Members

P.S.

You might improve your statistical results if you used an ordinal-level variable for question 3--i.e. "How much do you feel limited?": 0=not at all; 1= a little; 2= a moderate amount 3= a lot, 4= completely. (Or something like that).

;)

Agreed, actually I wish I could, but the parameter is it must be qualitative, and have only two levels. :-/ lol

Archived