Post your Valve King 112 clips here ...

snakum

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

Stonehenge clips using my backup amp below. The tone is noticably very smooth and sweet-sounding. The playing and recording .... not so much.
:D

Stonehenge Clean

Stonehenge Crunchy

Stonehenge Hi-gain

Thanks again Boogs.
:wave:

Minh

I know I'm a bit late replying to these, but I just checked them out and the clips sounded very nice. Thanks alot for them. :thu:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by guitar-fish

Thinking of getting a Valve King 112. It's a toss up - $399 for the all tube VK, or $329 for the hybrid/tube/modeler Vox AD50VT.

Get the Valveking. I did own an AD50VT and it seemed to turn to mush and get lost in the mix at band rehearsal. I took it back.

BTW I have decided that the stock speaker sounds best of the several speakers I have put in the Valveking. I put a Chinese 12AX7 in V1 but the rest of the tubes sound best stock. I didn't seem to like the JJ 6L6's in this amp, but I may try them again now that I have the stock speaker back in there.V1 sounds good with Chinese and the rest stock. Changing the tubes and speaker back to stock, except for the Chinese 9th Gen in V1, solved the bassy sounding mess I was asking about earlier.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarchaz

For what its worth, I've tried a both a Celestion VIN30 and G12T-75 and like the stock speaker better. The G12T and VIN30 both had tighter bass which I liked, but they had a high end "sizzle" (the VIN30 moreso) when using the OD channel that I didn't care for. Kinda like that raspy vintage sound...akin to the the Guitar intro on Elton John's Saturday Night...perhaps good depending on what you are after. I was after more of an AC/DC, Jet, kinda crunch. Anyone tried any ofthe Emi speakes that would suit my needs based on this info ?

i've got a governer in my valve king...compared to the stock speaker it's clearer, and has a tighter low end...still has that thick midrange the stock speaker does tho, and the warm high end

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

i've got a governer in my valve king...compared to the stock speaker it's clearer, and has a tighter low end...still has that thick midrange the stock speaker does tho, and the warm high end

I like the stock speaker pretty good, but there is a harshness in there somewhere I don't like. Maybe it will smooth out after I get a few hours on it.

I tried a $20 Carvin speaker in the Valveking and it was awful. I think these speakers don't like open back cabs at all. Totally 2 dimensional sound with no mids or treble at all. Although a pair of the Carvins in my Peavey vertical 2-12"closed back cabinet sound awesome when driven by the Valveking. It's gonna be tough to decide which way to run the Valveking now. Stock or through the 2-12 cab.

• Members
Originally posted by VanR

I put a Chinese 12AX7 in V1 but the rest of the tubes sound best stock. V1 sounds good with Chinese and the rest stock.

Yeah but the problem is an hour after you play it you're hungry agan. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Someone was gonna say it, so I had to be first.

• Members

I've never owned an Ultra but I've played a couple combos, at length, and the Valve King definitely has that kind of vibe in the gain channel. It's more 'Marshall' than the Classic 30's 'Cranked Blackface' in my opinion, and there's a huge amount of gain on tap, just as on the Ultra 112 and 212. I think the clean is a little bit better than I remember the Ultra being, but the Ultra may be a bit 'tighter' at higher gain settings. They're definitely close, though.

All that said ... I think I'm going to have to sell my Valve King. An opportunity has arisen that will provide the perfect platform for that Weber Blue Dog I bought from OneWhiteDuck yesterday, and I'm out of play money for the month. :(

Anyone in or near North Carolina wanna buy a month old Valve King with the oh-so-hard-to-find VK footswitch? :D

Minh

• Members

OK guys now I don't know what to do:confused:

I had my heart set on a Classic 30 and found a new one for $400 and tried it and really liked it but now everyone is raving about the VK.

How about the all important FEEL of the amp? Which one is more responsive? Which one will give a better tube FEEL?

I know this is a tough/dumb question but I really dont know what to do now besides find a PV dealer and try them both.

But I guess if you were me what would you do? Same price on both amps I really want a REAL tube amp, not a wannabe tube amp. What do you guys think is the better value?

I play classic rock like AC/DC, Led Zepp, G n' R, Van Halen, etc... you get the point. Also some Satch and maybe a little Ozzy.

Im still leaning towards the C30 because they are proven and American Made but it looks like the VK is much more versatile but I don't want to sacrifice pure dynamic tone in any way for versatility. (been down that road too many times - see Boss GT-6:mad: and Flextone II )

thanks guys
any input would be appreciated

• Members

Originally posted by thomasmiranda

I play classic rock like AC/DC, Led Zepp, G n' R, Van Halen, etc... you get the point. Also some Satch and maybe a little Ozzy.

I'm Willing to sacrifice the metal tone for good all around tone as I realize that the C30 probably isnt the best amp for metal

• Members

I have both amps and for "Classic Rock" and "Satch" I'd say the Classic 30 is the ticket. But if you want to play heavier music that starts moving towards metal, or even early Van Halen (cranked NMV Marshal) ... go Valve King.

They are quite different amps, tone-wise, and suited for different things. But both are excellent.

I guess I'm saying "I have absolutely no idea which you should get". Sorry. :(

Minh

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

I have both amps and for "Classic Rock" and "Satch" I'd say the Classic 30 is the ticket. But if you want to play heavier music that starts moving towards metal, or even early Van Halen (cranked NMV Marshal) ... go Valve King.

They are quite different amps, tone-wise, and suited for different things. But both are excellent.

I guess I'm saying "I have absolutely no idea which you should get". Sorry.
:(

Minh

LOL

Thanks for the response though, So it really does satch better than the VK, if so I think it would be a no-brainer for me. How about AC/DC crunch?

Is it safe to say the C30 has more of a vintage sound (classic;) ) and the VK is more modern?

And what about the feel? If you know what I'm trying to say, which one FEELS better, ie more responsive?

Ive heard that the VK is a more buzzy sounding distortion and the C30 is smother, what do you think?

who has a better clean or are they pretty similar in that respect?

thanks again, just dont want to make another purchase Im gonna regret a year from now.

• Members
Originally posted by Whackmaster63

Here a hard rock clip i made with the vavle king
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=18271

WOW:thu: :eek::thu::D

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say I probly wont be able to get that kind of badass gain from a C30:)

Maybe with a pedal of some sort?

what do you guys think

(you guys suck, I was gonna just go get the C30 and asume that the VK was a pile and then you all had to go and rave about it and post all these awesome clips and make my decision very difficult):)

Oh well I guess Ill just have to try out a VK now

• Members

Got to play my Valveking at rehearsal today through my buddies Mesa Boogie 2-12" cabinet with 2 Vintage 30's. Sounded damn good, but for some kind of midrange honk that was just a little annoying. I was wondering how a Vintage 30 would sound in the open back Valveking. Are they good open back combo speakers or should I look elsewhere for a replacement speaker? My favorite Celestion has always been a G12T-75. How do these sound in an open backed combo?

• Members

I never really liked the Vintage 30s in the C30 or C50. I always put Cele G12Ms or Emi GB12s/Private Jacks in them. I did have a G12H in a C50 though and I seem to remember that was killer, too. I haven't tried one in a Classic 30 though.

For the Valve King, I didn't think the G12M/GB12/PJ did a whole helluvalot for it over the stock speaker (which is pretty decent). Maybe the V30 or G12H would be a better choice for it? But if the V30 honked in the Mesa cab with the VK, it may HONK in the combo, too. :D

If I could have tried any speaker in mine, it would have been the Emi Wizard and the Weber Blue Dog. But I just sold mine so I won't get a chance to try them. Went back to Classic 30s cuz I prefer a cranked Fendery tone over the VK's Marshally vibe.

Minh

• Members

I honestly believe it would be safe the Valve King, since it is conservatively rated. The Valve King isn't a very powerfull 50 watter, either. Sweet ... but not very loud next to a Classic 30. I was going to put a 30 watt Blue Dog in mine, and I felt comfortable about it even though it's a $100 worth of speaker. :D

Minh

Archived