Post your Valve King 112 clips here ...

snakum

• Members

No problem D, I appreciate the help. :thu:

And while I'm here ...

WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! I got cone cry on the GB12. :(

First time, after two GB12s purchased previously were fine right outta the box. I have searched in the forums and found that it isn't unusual in the GB12/Private Jack, and it goes away after break-in. I hope that's true.

Minh
(Assaulting ears at HCAF since 2003 :D )

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I got an emi wizard in mine.

How does it sound to you? More Marshally? More American-vibed? Whattaya get'n from it?

The worst of the cone cry went away in the GB12 within 30 minutes of playing and is just barely perceptible when the clean channel is cranked, and now that I have the new speaker dialed in it is KICK'N! It's sounding more and more like a JCM800 with a hot humbucker into the amp. I am truly amazed at how good this thing sounds for less than $400.

Going to 12AT7 preamp tubes was the ticket. The buzziness and the usual tube amp noise is now practically nil from the amp, even at the highest gain settings. And it stays more articulate all the way up to ear-splitting loud. Killer little amp. Just killer.

I'll try to get some more clips up tomorrow of the baby JCM thing it has going on now, but the recording quality won't do it justice because I don't have the right equipment and I don't really know what I'm doing. It'll give you some idea of what the 12AT7s and the GB12 is doing though ... hopefully. :(

Minh

• Members

I liked the original speaker in the vk but what it lacked was the ability to chug palm mutes at a loud volume. Everything else it would do fine I thought.
I took the wizard out of my c30 and into the vk and palm mutes are now great at a louder volume. That's the most noticeable difference to me.

I love how easy it is to change speakers in this thing, unlike the classic you don't have to pull out the whole amp.

Cleans are better than the c30 imo.
As for the gain, they both have their plus and minuses.

Two negatives:
Footswitch mutes for a second before it engages and the inability to hook up an ext speaker and use with the internal of the vk.

These were the only two huge dissapointments for me.

• Members

Yep ... Peavey's first Chinese tube amp. Hey, he held out longer than anyone else on the solid-state stuff, and then the tube stuff. The other tubers are still USA-made.

I'm using the VK-specific footswitch, that lets you change channels and also kick in combinations of the volume and gain boosts. They're hard to get, though, and I'm even sending one to a guy guy in Cali whose dealer says "Six months" on the footswitch.

Minh

• Members

The tone with 12AT7s in V1 and V2 and a GB12/Private Jack being pushed by a humbucker is amazingly Marshall-ish. Once it's cranked up till it's nice and squishy, and then you roll the gain in till it's singing, is the closest any sub-$400 amp has ever come to a master volume-eqipped JCM800. And then boosting the dirty channel from this point gives up a simply killer lead tone. Similar to Zak on 'No More Tears' .. that thumping, 'clanky', molten 80s hard rock tone.

I'm going to try to post my latest clips with all the mods tonight. I love it. :D

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the head or the 2x12 combo, yet, in any music store.

Minh

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

Yep ... Peavey's first Chinese tube amp. Hey, he held out longer than anyone else on the solid-state stuff, and then the tube stuff. The other tubers are still USA-made.

I'm using the VK-specific footswitch, that lets you change channels and also kick in combinations of the volume and gain boosts. They're hard to get, though, and I'm even sending one to a guy guy in Cali whose dealer says "Six months" on the footswitch.

Minh

Does your footswitch hesitate when going from clean to dirty?

• Members

Yeah ... it's only a minor pain. It also hesitates when you kick on the gain/volume boost. But it was either that or a loud pop, and Peavey opted for the drop-out. A loud pop, at the volumes I gig unmic'd, would be nasty. :(

I read somewhere you could change the caps in the footswitch to lessen the popping, if you decide to rewire it for the POP instead of the DROP. True?

I, too, used my C30 footswitch till I got the VK unit in. But having the volume/gain boost footswitchable is pretty sweet. :)

Minh

• Members

I have read that the drop occured only when going from the distortion channel to the boosted distortion channel. So this drop is actually occuring when you switch from the clean to distorted channel also?

I am just wondering because I am thinking of buying a valveking as my very first home practice amp. When I jam with friends I don't want this drop to be throwing off the timing.

• Members
So this drop is actually occuring when you switch from the clean to distorted channel also?

Yeppers. But, I haven't gigged many amps that didn't have either a pop or a drop of some magnitude when switching, and I much prefer a quick drop-out. I may have made it out to be more of a pain than it really is. It's really not as big as deal as you'd think. Even with the drop it's still a lot faster than rolling your volume knob up. :)

Minhtronix

• Members

my clasic 30 doesn't hesitate when I go from clean to dirty with the same footswitch I am trying to use with the vk.
I have had 3 band practices with the valve king so far. I am getting more used to the drop out but it still ticks me off.
I wish I also knew of a way to fix the vk so I could use the 2x12 with it. It sounded awesome with my classic having sound come from all three speakers

• Members

I thought I remembered that the C30 dropped out if you held the switch down before releasing it back up, the way some Marshall switches used to do? But that if you hit the pedal quickly it was barely noticable?

I've owned four of them, but I'm old and my memory ain't what it ...

uuuhhh ....

.... what was the question again? :(

Minhburger Cheese

• Members

removing C124 on the main board. It worked great on mine, and I have no pop at all. Still have a slight delay when going from clean to dirty, but none from dirty to boosted anymore.

Also, any standard old fender style 2 button 3 conductor footswitch will work. Just wire it to switch either of the two center conductors on a stereo 1/4 inch plug to ground and you are in business.

GS

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

The tone with 12AT7s in V1 and V2 and a GB12/Private Jack being pushed by a humbucker is amazingly Marshall-ish.

Which Preamp tubes are V1 & V2? (and V3 for that matter) They don't seem to be marked on the chassis and I didn't get a schematic with mine.

Archived