Post your Valve King 112 clips here ...

snakum

• Members

I've gotten a few PMs about the Valve King and also about how it compares to the Classic 30, so I thought I'd post some more clips (with gracious assistance from 'diocide') of the VK112 and also post my general notes on the two amps.

The only changes so far to my VK112 is 12AT7s throughout the preamp section to reduce the buzziness that it has on higher gain settings, even though I suspect the gain is being helped by other components (diodes?). I have a GB12 speaker coming any day now and I'll post some more when I get it in.

The first clip is just some clean, single coil noodling on the neck p'up of my cheap FrankenStrats. The second is a crunch tone on the bridge pickup. And the third is the lead tone on the bridge p'up, and then the neck p'up.

Unfortunately the Valve King doesn't like the MightyMite bridge pickups when in hi-gain mode. Sounds like crap. I'll try to post some lead tones with humbuckers tomorrow night. It does do a decent SRV on the neck p'up if I use the Bad Monkey with the clean channel, though. I'll try to get some clips up with the Bad Monkey. It really SINGS with the VK. :thu:

Please excuse my terrible playing. I haven't played since last Winter so I'm rusty, and I never was all that and a bag o' chips to start with. :D

Clean Neck P'up

Crunch Bridge P'up

Lead Bridge Then Neck P'ups

Minh

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A breakdown of the C30 compared to the VK112, in my humble opinion ...

C30

* awesome clean

* cranked Fender vibe ... American-flavored distortion

* small and lightweight

* rock solid dependable

* loud as hell

* tube change to JJs is a must if using the dirty channel, due to the harsh upper mids ($9 x 3; add $30 if you want JJs in power section, too)

* speaker change is a must too, if using the dirty channel (avg. $60)

* tends to vibrate badly and requires weather-stripping on joints and silicone on tubes (or buy tube-tamer for $20)

* great for blues, classic rock, country, and jazz

VK112

* unbelievable variation in tone; hugely tweakable

* loads of gain

* British-flavored vibe

* half-power switch (called a 'Class A' pot, but it's not really; still a nice feature though)

* needs 12AT7 tubes for buzzy gain ($9 x 3)

* dependability up in the air; it's a new model

* a few odd vibrations, will require weather-stripping on joints

* great for heavy blues, classic rock, and metal

As always ... your mileage may vary. :)

So far, I really like the VK112, and I'm sure I'll like it even more when there's a really good speaker in it, even though the stock speaker is certainly useable. At $349 ... it'd have to be horrid for it not to be a heckuva value. :D

Minh

• Members

Dude, the clean clip kicks total ass!!! Awesome playing and great tone too.... Is that the amps reverb on there or is it an outboard effect? The crunch clip and the lead clip are really good too... i might need to get one of these now, i was thinking about a Classic 30 for clean/od sounds, but this thing kicks mad ass!!! Great clips dude, glad I could help:thu:

• Members

Thanks for helping D ... you're tops! :thu:

And thanks for the compliments. I'm an old fart, and when I came up we learned to play by copying Skynyrd, Ace Frehley, Nugent, Stevie, etc. and most of us never learned scales or how to read music. Even today, I don't know a moronic scale from an idiotic scale. I didn't even know the names of the strings till I bought an electronic tuner last year. A complete idiot. Of course, selling all my equipment and quitting every three or four years hasn't exactly helped. :p

I think the amp will sound killer with brite humbuckers or a P-90. I'd love to have a solid-body P-90 guitar to plug into the thing. I'm even thinking of putting a P-90 strat-sized replacement in my FrankenStrats. Do they make one? :confused:

Thanks again for the help!

Minh

• Members

just put an eminence governer in mine, i may try and get some clips later this week...but here's a few i did when i first got it, all recorded with an sm-57

slayer clip: lead channel w/gain boost (inputs 1 & 2 used) all controls at noon, volume slightly lower

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-slayermask

satch lead clip: same settings as above with the mids turned up a bit (input 1)

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-summersatch

metallica clean clip: channel 1 w/bright switch, all eq dials at noon save for treble and volume which were a tad lower, reverb at 9:00 (input 2)

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-ktulu clean

one of my own riffs: same settings as the first clip, but this one going thru my earcandy 2x12 with eminence governer mic'd

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-custombuilt

gonna check out some of your clips now :)

• Members

no prob man...hope you enjoy it, listening back i like these a lot more now than when i first made them; must've been the old ear fatigue gettin to me

i need to break out the tele and see if i can't throw down some SRV clips :cool:

...if i can learn to play 'scuttle buttin' halfway decent :mad:

• Members

Wow ... Cobra's clips are awesome! Goes to show how flexible this little amp really is, doesn't it?

Nice recording, too. You should see what I'm recording with ... a $10 K-Mart mic hanging with the cord running under the handle so it'll stay off to the side of the speaker, into free recording software via a $20 no-name sound card. :D You can really hear the difference when someone like Cobra does it right. :thu:

How does the Eminence speaker sound? Killer?

I just sent a clip of my crappy attempt at an SRV tone to diocide (I promised to leave him alone after this one. :D). I had the tone nailed the other night with the Baddus Monkaness but it doesn't sound right tonight. I should have written the settings down. :(

Minhberger

• Members

i'm really digging the gov, still kinda in the break-in period tho

it still retains that mid-range thickness i liked, has a bit more 'chewiness' to it...the low end is a little clearer and more focused, highs are a bit warmer and less brittle sounding

checked out your lead channel clip, not bad! sounds a bit thin but that's most likely due to the recording (we've all been there!) nice playing tho

samson has a pretty cool looking condenser mic out now that connects via USB, for like $79; if you want a little bit better recording setup for a rock-bottom price, i'd check that out...i've heard they sound pretty good, haven't tried one myself but that's an amazing deal for the $$$

• Members

samson has a pretty cool looking condenser mic out now that connects via USB, for like $79

Hmmmm ... I gotta look at that. I have a spare computer I can set up in my painting/music room, and I keep promising I'm going to lay down the best of the blues stuff I've written. I also tell myself I'll get my pipes back in working order and maybe take some voice lessons, too. I never get around to any of it, though. :(

I'm getting lazy in my old age. :D

Cobra ... lemme know when you guys play Tremont again, I'd like to drive down and check you guys out. Charlotte's only about one hour from me.

Minh

• Members

I forgot to answer diocide ... I have the reverb just barely audible, and a DigiDelay in the line going in, set so it gives just a tiny bit of delay with a short decay. More like a reverb, really.

Other than the Baddamus Monkus and a DigiDelay, I don't like much of anything in the chain. I'm still a purist at heart ... gimme an old, worn Strat or Flying V --> straight into a tube amp ... cranked to ten. :thu:

Someone forgot to tell me it's not 1981 anymore. :D

Minh

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

Hmmmm ... I gotta look at that. I have a spare computer I can set up in my painting/music room, and I keep promising I'm going to lay down the best of the blues stuff I've written. I also tell myself I'll get my pipes back in working order and maybe take some voice lessons, too. I never get around to any of it, though.
:(

I'm getting lazy in my old age.
:D

Cobra ... lemme know when you guys play Tremont again, I'd like to drive down and check you guys out. Charlotte's only about one hour from me.

Minh

we might be hitting it up dec 9th or 10th if it's not gonna get in the way of us finishing our EP by the end of the year...i should know for sure in a few days, we may have to push it back to mid-jan. but we will be back up there ASAP

• Members

LMAO! That sounds much better than I do in person. :D

I really need to learn that stuff ... and I really need to buy a decent mic and soundcard and start recording some. Since I'm not gigging right now that'd give me an excuse for buying equipment.

Thanks.

Minh

• Members

My crappy Stevie Ray imitation to illustrate the Valve King SRV tone. I have forgotten most of the SRV we used to do, so I just pulled some pieces outa my butt to show what the amp and a Bad Monkey can do with the neck p'up of my FrankenStrat. I'm sure it would sound much better, and closer to what it does live, if I had a decent mic and knew how to eq the software.

The VK112 isn't bad for an SRV tone when used with a stompbox.

SRV Noodling

Minhommad

• Members

Awesome clips y'all!

Snakum, if you call your playing crappy *one more time* I'll, I'll... steal more of your licks. ;)

CH, your clips are sweet, and your riff through the Earcandy-w-Govs is supremely toneful! nice. :cool:

• Members

It took me about five minutes to put the GB12 in, but when I converted the file I realized I had inadvertantly chopped off half the wankage. I couldn't reconvert because the crippleware only allowed five conversions before locking up.

So here's a quick single coil lick with the GB12 speaker in ...

GB12/Private Jack

The GB12 didn't make a jaw-dropping difference, as it did in the Classic 30, nor did I expect it to. But already I can tell it is a bit more 'open' and has a little more thump. I'll tweak on it some more tonight and post some more wankage.

Anyone got clips of the VulvaKing with a Governor? Cobra?

Minh

• Members

the only governer clip i've got is thru my earcandy cab (the custom built clip in my first post)

i'll try to get some governer clips of the combo with the speaker in it, but i don't know when i'll have the chance...all my good guitar mics are tied up at the studio ATM, and i still gotta make sure the speaker's broken in properly

• Members

Ahhh ... gotcha. It'll be nice to compare the Guv to the GB12/Private Jack in the Valve King. I could tell in just ten minutes of wankage that the GB12 'opened up' the amp, a little bit, and made it even more 'Marshally' to my ears.

Still, I feel the gain channel just doesn't like my MityMite bridge pickup, no matter what speaker I use. That's one thing that was nice about my Classic 30s ... they all loved single coils on the dirty channel, and neck pos single coils into the C30 clean channel, driven to the edge of breakup, were HEAVENLY. :) I picked up a cheap (but beautiful, well-finished, and very playable) Peavey EXP today with a Humbucker in the bridge, and that will probably sound a lot better in the gain channel of the VK.

We shall see ....

Minhommad

Archived