Post your Valve King 112 clips here ...

snakum

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by cobrahead1030

that's just the valve king combo (stock speaker swapped out for an eminence governer) with a 609 hanging over it, just off center

power tubes are stock, i swapped out the v1 preamp tube for an EH 12ax7, i don't even remember what the stock v1 was...i changed it b/c it was microphonic

Did you have any trouble getting the tubes out(preamp) ?

I have a couple of lower gain 12ax7's I want to install in mine and can't seem to get the little sucker outta there.

And, what is the order (V1, V2, ect) starting with the tube closest to the tranny?

Thank's, any help will keep me sane. :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by SeeMoore

Did you have any trouble getting the tubes out(preamp) ?

I have a couple of lower gain 12ax7's I want to install in mine and can't seem to get the little sucker outta there.

And, what is the order (V1, V2, ect) starting with the tube closest to the tranny?

Thank's, any help will keep me sane.
:freak:

I would also like to know. I tried taking a preamp tube out of mine for the heck of it and it seemed like i was pulling too hard, so i gave up.

Has anyone actually replaced the stock speaker in the 112 combo with a Vintage 30? I was going to but it looks like the speaker magnet would hit the tube guard.

BTW, I love this amp... Especially through a V30 loaded 4x12 cab. :evil:

• Members
Originally posted by erik92da

I would also like to know. I tried taking a preamp tube out of mine for the heck of it and it seemed like i was pulling too hard, so i gave up.

Has anyone actually replaced the stock speaker in the 112 combo with a Vintage 30? I was going to but it looks like the speaker magnet would hit the tube guard.

BTW, I love this amp... Especially through a V30 loaded 4x12 cab.
:evil:

I had trouble getting V1 and V2 out at first so I pulled out a small Phillips head screwdriver and removed the tube shield bases and the tubes came out easier. Replaced the tubes with some Chinese 9th and screwed the shield bases back on and put the tube shields back on and all was good.

• Members

the valveking can get SOMEWHAT close to 5150'ish tones, it's not as thick or meaty sounding tho...the 5150 has more agressiveness whereas the valveking is a bit smoother sounding...i'll try to do some more high gain clips maybe sometime this week, for chuggy riffing it works pretty well if you run it into a cab; otherwise it works ok, about as good as an open back combo can do IMO

the preamp tubes in mine are also pretty hard to get out, since i wanted to check out the guts anyhow i actually pulled the chassis on mine when i had to replace a tube

also...my governer sits no more than a millimeter from the tube gaurd so it's a REAL tight squeeze but it fits

• Members

Originally posted by Father Jack

Hey i just got a Valveking 112 today.

The cleans are so sexy, no problems there.

But i just wanted some suggested settings for overdrive tones.

Cobra, what did you use for the no more tears clip?

I find the clean channel a little too clean for my tastes. Wish it would break up just a little more. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe one of those high-gain rated 12AX7's might help. Wish the clean channel had a gain and master setup.

• Members

Originally posted by VanR

I find the clean channel a little too clean for my tastes. Wish it would break up just a little more. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe one of those high-gain rated 12AX7's might help. Wish the clean channel had a gain and master setup.

The only thing that I can think of is running it at full power and rolling back on the volume with your guitar, but the tone may suffer a bit.

Then the only option left is just some sort of blues drive/tube screamer.

• Members

The only thing that I can think of is running it at full power and rolling back on the volume with your guitar, but the tone may suffer a bit.

Then the only option left is just some sort of blues drive/tube screamer.

Yeah that's what I am using (tube screamer setting on my Boss ME-50). Still not quite good enough. Would rather hear a touch of natural amp breakup.

• Members

Hey i just got a Valveking 112 today.

The cleans are so sexy, no problems there.

But i just wanted some suggested settings for overdrive tones.

Cobra, what did you use for the no more tears clip?

input 1

gain-noon (boost engaged)

bass- 1:00

mids- 2:00

treble- 3:00

reverb- 8:30

• Members

Tried another one at a different store, same hum problem as the other two I tried. This one also had a high-pitched whine on the clean channel with the bright switch engaged. Peavey got the price right with these and the tone is decent but it seems there's still some bugs to work out.

Archived