Need advice: Best amp I could buy for $400-$450

ncook

• Members

The X100B has a distortion that is cool, but not likely to be a "staple" sound. I use pedals, as per my sig, though I'll hit it's OD too.

That said, it goes for really cheap (paid $280 for mine...which is a crime), and it has the best cleans I have ever heard. Period. Has a top-class reverb, an effects loop, and eats pedals for breakfast. With a good pedal or two and a 2x12 or 4x12, it's {censored}ing mighty. I love this amp through two Wizards something fierce!

I like my Peavey Classic 30 *mucho* as well, and it's onboard overdrive is awesome. Cleans are nice, though they don't match the Carvin's. You could probably get a 2x12 Classic 50 for your money, actually, or a Classic 30 and a better/more efficient speaker that would give you more volume and better tone.

• Members
Originally posted by MattACaster

Peavey Ultra Plus
:thu:

Yep; they're getting cheaper, and even though I'm a little bummed because I spent about $400 on mine (if I remember correctly I've seen them going for as low as maybe a little over $300 -- a steal IMO; mine was a quick pawn grab based on surprise at the sound it put out). I JUST now got the footswitch for mine after owning the amp for a while now, and since the footswitch is required to get to the 2nd channel (crunch), I FINALLY got to even hear it and really like the classic rock tone it gets~!

I put an eq in the loop (Boss GE-7), just boosting the lows and highs slightly, and that makes a very noticeable difference -- actually I might not like the amp without an eq in the loop. I also put an eq pedal (Danelectro Fish & Chips) in front of the amp for a boost, and it works great for boosting either leads or giving just a little nudge to the gain, and on the Ultra Channel, it helps create more chunk.

The clean channel... well... after being used to Carvin X100 and X100B amps over time, the clean's not all that great IMO -- kinda' thin and sterile, and when the crunch and ultra volumes are around 4 or higher, the clean volume needs to be turned a lot higher to match on the master volume.

If I turn the master volume very high to make more headroom for the clean channel, running the crunch and ultra volumes lower, those 2 channels sound thinned out themselves = not nearly as good as having those 2 channel volumes a little higher = fuller. But the clean channel is usable, a little better than the clean on the stock 5150 I had (well, the rythm channel without the boost pushed in). I've really been starting to GAS for a new Carvin V3, but I'll have to hear some individuals putting out clips and more impressions on it before I go crazy and put the $ together. The JSX is another I'm kinda' GAS-ing for, but the Ultra really isn't a bad amp at all. I only wish the clean channel was fuller and had more headroom. The reverb helps it some. Good overal versatility IMO. The crunch channel has me wanting to work on some more classic rock tunes now, too~! ;):cool:

Regarding the mention of the Carvin X100B, I've only played through the older 6L6, tolex-covered versions, which are supposed to have less gain than the el34 versions, some having a hot-rod pull pot on them. The 6L6versions I've had sound really, really good with a tubescreamer boosting the input and overdriving the amp's own distortion~! I got some really good oldschool fat metal tones out of the amp -- great for Slayer when using EMG 81's~! Cut back just a bit on the tubescreamer gain to boost at a lower level (which the tubescreamer basically just tightens up the amp's own gain at that point = necessary IMO to get a really good gain sound out of the Carvin) and it gets some really good, clean lead tones. I've been jonesing for one of these again but am making myself wait on more input regarding the new V3 amps. And the find of the crunch channel on the Ultra Plus just makes me feel a little better about that amp, too. :)

I really like both amps~! I would recommend a lower wattage Ultra, i.e. the 60, but I'm afraid the clean channel headroom would be lower still. If having loud and full clean sounds aren't that important, maybe the Ultra 60 would be good. I temporarily bought an Ultra combo 112, and it's gain sounded great with the eq pedal in the loop but that used amp had a major problem with one of the control pots, noisy as hell, and I didn't want to pay for it only to have to fix it.

Good luck.

• Members
Originally posted by Boogs

The X100B has a distortion that is cool, but not likely to be a "staple" sound. I use pedals, as per my sig, though I'll hit it's OD too.

That said, it goes for really cheap (paid $280 for mine...which is a crime), and it has the best cleans I have ever heard. Period. Has a top-class reverb, an effects loop, and eats pedals for breakfast. With a good pedal or two and a 2x12 or 4x12, it's {censored}ing mighty. I love this amp through two Wizards something fierce!

I like my Peavey Classic 30 *mucho* as well, and it's onboard overdrive is awesome. Cleans are nice, though they don't match the Carvin's. You could probably get a 2x12 Classic 50 for your money, actually, or a Classic 30 and a better/more efficient speaker that would give you more volume and better tone.

Agreed on both~! :cool:

• Members

Laney AOR or mig 50, though you'll probaly want to boost those.
sometimes older model ampegs pop up on ebay, cant remember the name of the series, but itwas designed by lee jackson.
B-52 amps- Stealth series, though that might be tough for your price range, and their availability.
Marshall AVT series, though not fully tube, may be sutable?

• Members
Originally posted by ncook

The Carvin is really interesting. I would have to aquire a cabinet for it tho right? Do they make a 2X12 version of the amp?

They make a 212; it's called just an X100, though sometimes V212 or Series III. I played one (X100) for about 10 years~! :)

• Members
Originally posted by Whammyless

I've seen 5150 combos for $400-450 in my area. I'd agree with the Carvin, Peavey, Laney stuff. You could do this: Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp and ADA MP-1 preamp for about $400 but it's rack stuff.

Thats what I got today, ADA MP-1, Tubeworks 1160 MosValve, Juicegoose power conditioner and rack. I also picked up a Marshall 2X12 cabinet for it. I'll post more later in a new thread with pics.

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

Whats the best tube amp I can buy for $400-$450? New or used. I mostly play dirty, love the 80's sound, gotta have tube, I've begun to really dislike the solid state sound. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jackson Reference

Kitty Hawk Jr Pro

Bedrock 1000,1200 Series

Crate Stealth

Carvin X-Series

Sovtek Mig 60,Mig 50H(Tube Midget)

Peavey Butcher,Triumph,Ultra

Archived