AutoTune must die

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that's the number 1 thing that's bothering me about music / movies today. i miss the days when it was all sort of the same, yet separate. like you could like rock, but the rock bands had their different sounds.. it just seems like once a new plugin hits the market, everybody is using it. when i saw star trek, i also saw previews for transformers 2, terminator something something and a few others. they all had the same sort of wash like all the movies were put through the same sort of filtering plug in. before that, particle generators just hit the market and everybody used those (dust, feathers, snow ect. think gladiator in the dream sequence in the wheat field. ) much like how every kid movie now has to have the same basic jokes in it. farts ect.

i just dont find entertainment entertaining anymore. :idk:

• Members

I say ban autotune competely so all of that crappy pop-music can quickly die. I hate overproduced pop. Bring back the time when people who could sing were popular and not people who only look good. What do I care what Glenn Hughes looks like, dude can sing!

• Members

Hey when I was in high school, significantly more arrogant than I am now, and really into precision jazz and classical guitar playing I thought that rhythm boxes, arpeggiators, and early sequencers were for talentless people who couldn't play their instruments so they used machines to play for them. Music had to be played by virtuosos or I didn't like it. At some point in time I realized that some of the stuff I heard and used to diss sounded good and I decided to not care how it was made. Now I just listen and if I like it I like it.

• Members

Drives me NUTS! I absolutely can't stand it as an effect, but what sucks is with modern pop R&B, if I listen closely I can hear Autotune artifacts where they're not even supposed to be noticeable! Once you know what to listen for, you can't not hear it! Either the engineers or the singers (or both) are total hacks. Because if a singer is that far out, it is damn hard to correct without noticeable artifacts.

The sad thing is, so many kids (my 18year old daughter included) just listen to whatever is on the radio and if you listen to something for long enough it can start to sound good. So she eats this stuff up!

• Members

I use AutoTune on steroids: TC Helicon VoiceWorks Plus. I can do a gregorian chant with a choir of T-Pains. I use the Cher/T-Pain effect for fun. It gets old fast. Multiple part harmony is more versatile, along with transducer fx, and a nice full fx chain of preamp - compressor/limiter - delay - and reverb.

• Members

What i find amazing is that someone like Kayne West manages to overuse Autotune and still sound outoftune. Just goes to show the poor state of todays popculture. Its all about the marketing and not the talent.

• Members

Autotune = the last resort of the untalented and the uninspired when trying to sound "new" and "current".

Die, and die BAD please.

Except, I would prefer if it dragged out a couple more years so that people REALLY get sick of it and it doesn't come back for another decade.

You know there is going to be a popular revolt against this sort of pop music pretty soon. That's right. Mark my words. It's happening already. Bling won't be cool anymore because it's not REAL. This generation that is coming up is cynical as hell, and they will reject everything that they can do themselves with an iPhone app. Believe it.

EDIT: Programmers, I just gave you an idea....AutoTune iPhone App. Record 5 seconds of you singing, wait 20 seconds, and you're T-Pain. Someone do it!

• Members
If she can sing like that then why {censored} it up with autotune
:confused:

I doubt it is 'live' as in unaltered.
At 3:03 she moves very far a way from the mic and there isn't a drop in volume, just a little more room signal creeping in -> compressed to hell
and since the piano and vocal were recorded on different tracks there's no reason why there shouldn't be Autotune/Melodyne/whatever on it.

ah, Melodyne.
If Autotune creeps you out I wonder what this will do. ;)

• Members
Autotune = the last resort of the untalented and the uninspired when trying to sound "new" and "current".

Die, and die BAD please.

Except, I would prefer if it dragged out a couple more years so that people REALLY get sick of it and it doesn't come back for another decade.

You know there is going to be a popular revolt against this sort of pop music pretty soon. That's right. Mark my words. It's happening already. Bling won't be cool anymore because it's not REAL. This generation that is coming up is cynical as hell, and they will reject everything that they can do themselves with an iPhone app. Believe it.

EDIT: Programmers, I just gave you an idea....AutoTune iPhone App. Record 5 seconds of you singing, wait 20 seconds, and you're T-Pain. Someone do it!

Totally agree with one exception-i bet the processor in the iphone is fast enough to do that in realtime.
Heck-one could use it while talking to someone else on the phone-now here is an idea for an iapp-a harmonizer,vocoder,formantaltering app that you can use to make prank calls!
:love:

• Members

Lord have mercy.....:facepalm:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/02/t-pains-auto-tu.html

So basically already anyone with an iPhone can....

-Make beats on the iPhone
-Throw down some crappy vocals and make it sound like todays R&B and pop-hop hits on the iPhone
-Arrange the vocals in a loop sequencing environment on the iPhone
-Record the mixdown with anything, including the iPhone itself?

PERFECT! :love: That makes this style of vocal processing technology overuse "self correcting". :cop:

The ones that will be graduating high school in exactly 7 years will be the ones to show you just how much worse pop music can be than it is now......BUT.....thank GOD for them, because it won't be laden with autotune. :thu:

• Members

Hey, you guys bitchin about Autotune are pissing into the wind. Sure, you can use Autotune to do the Cher/T-Pain effect, but it wasn't even designed to do that effect. The guy who wrote Autotune never expected someone to dial the pitch correction speed down to 0 milliseconds. Autotune isn't even needed to do it, and it's better to do it in hardware since the effect doesn't even change - so why use processing resources to do something a rack can do? I bet pitch correction - the smooth kind - is used on nearly every track coming out of the major labels, you just don't know it.

Yep. When done correctly, AutoTune is perfectly transparent.

Man, those hip hop kids with their pants hanging off their asses. All pants need to die!

• Members

Pitch shift = Alvin and the Chipmunks hilarity

Autotune = seriously overused and worn-out ear sadness

Don't let anyone tell you that this description isn't pure genius. If I wasn't still pissed at AMS, it'd be my new tagline.

-Mc

Archived