AutoTune must die

• Members

LOL I cheated through calculus, too. :wave:

The thing that strikes me about all these iPhone things is that most of them really, really suck balls.

I don't have an iPhone so I can talk like this to make myself seem more important than I really am, and to hide my envy beneath layers and layers of hostility.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
LOL I cheated through calculus, too.
:wave:

The thing that strikes me about all these iPhone things is that most of them really, really suck balls.

I don't have an iPhone so I can talk like this to make myself seem more important than I really am, and to hide my envy beneath layers and layers of hostility.

Even you can probably afford the iPhone For The Rest of Us: also known as the iPod Touch 2nd Gen 8GB, at $229 and no contract or fees. Just use WiFi for free.

• Members

I'm amused that this thread hasn't left the first page yet. :lol: Allow me to clarify, though: I don't dislike Autotune when used sparingly and tastefully. And if they used it properly, I won't hear it at all. What really grates on me is how it's used as an over-the-top effect. UGH.

Anyway. Carry on. :thu:

• Members

wasn't AutoTune originally developed to find cracks in oil pipelines? The oil companies would ping the lines and then the precursor to AutoTune would get the pitch of the echo to calculate the difstance of the crack? the AutoTune news clips are just great by the way!!!!

• Members

"Oh, you want colors, i got colors. Black and blue all over your face"

=o]

Autotune = worst. effect. evar!

It's great when people like kanye go out live on SNL and their autotune doesn't kick in. We need more Ice-T and Eric B. and Rakim, and less T-Pain and Kanye West!

I'm hoping you meant "tune her up" like the cops do in Chicago with a night stick and a phone book...

:cop::eek:

-Mc

• Members

Actually "Poker Face" is a rather tame example or AutoTune these days. Take a listen to Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" which is insanely popular right now and has been the number 1 single on the Billboard charts for over a month.

Edit:This isn't the official video which cuts out the sick synth lead at the end so I found one that has it included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VfjGYAy2A&feature=PlayList&p=5231314901AC16AF&index=16

You'll either think it's the first real single of the 21st century or the end of the world as we know it.

Or if you're like me... both.

Personally I think that overdone AutoTune vocals will make any single using the effect sound as terribly dated and cheesy in the future as Greg Hawkes synth work on "Just What I Needed" does today.

• Members

Auto-Tune will never die as long as you can auto tune Katie Couric!
:cop:

All those "Autotune the News" videos aren't really Autotuning the raw audio; they're building harmonies in Melodyne (or a newer version of Autotune). Katie Couric's voice would actually have to have some sort of melodic harmonic content for it to work like that.

I'm currently producing a band that wants to use Autotune in one of their songs (admittedly, one with more novelty). I told them if they ever made it big, that song would be their black sheep. Then I punched their singer in the neck.

• Members

All those "Autotune the News" videos aren't really Autotuning the raw audio; they're building harmonies in Melodyne (or a newer version of Autotune). Katie Couric's voice would actually have to have some sort of melodic harmonic content for it to work like that.

I'm currently producing a band that wants to use Autotune in one of their songs (admittedly, one with more novelty). I told them if they ever made it big, that song would be their black sheep. Then I punched their singer in the neck.

No, the source vocals don't need melodic content. All you need to do is have the pitch correction keyed to a separate midi track. It will conform the source voice to the midi note, trust me. I do 4 part harmony with my own voice using by playing cords on my keys. Perhaps this should better be called Forced-Midi Tuned Pitch Correction.

By the way, a really cool harmony effect is the note/chord hold feature, which lets you use a pedal to hold a harmony while your lead vocal is free to to a melody around it. It really has an impressive live feeling that causes the audience to jawdrop and look around confused searching for the hidden backup singers. They know it sounds too good to be a recorded backing track. I use it for harmony on Seal's Kiss From A Rose (which also has a lot of live looping opportunities).

• Members

Auto Tune The News singlehandedly redeemed the existence of autotune. It was all worth it, after all.

:lol:

Hey, has anyone noticed that the sweet-voiced Neville Brother sometimes sounds like the autotune effect, except without the suckyness and the autotune?

• Members
I doubt it is 'live' as in unaltered.

At 3:03 she moves very far a way from the mic and there isn't a drop in volume, just a little more room signal creeping in -> compressed to hell

and since the piano and vocal were recorded on different tracks there's no reason why there shouldn't be Autotune/Melodyne/whatever on it.

ah, Melodyne.

If Autotune creeps you out I wonder what
this
will do.
;)

Celemony will probably change the way to record stuff a good bit..
But mostly for programmed music, I think....

This thing is genius for rap music, but I don't think any musician with integrity will really use that.

Myself, I'm looking forward to seeing the uses it can have for tabbing music.

• Members

Autotune is just a modern version of the talkbox. Stevie Wonder was a huge innovator when he used it in the 70s.

These things come in an out of style just as frequently as clothing fashion. First it's weird. Then it's cool. Then everybody does it. Then it wears thin. Then it becomes passe. Then you're weird and obnoxious if you use it. Then everyone hates it. Then everyone forgets about it. Then somebody brings it back for nostalgia. Repeat.

You just want to be on the leading edge of the trend, not on the trailing end. If you are jumping on the Autotune bandwagon at the moment, you're probably already too late now that so many artists are using it for the T-Pain effect. The thing about true innovators like Stevie Wonder is that their music transcends the technique. Damn good songs stand the test of time. Effects come and go.

• Members
No, the source vocals don't need melodic content. All you need to do is have the pitch correction keyed to a separate midi track. It will conform the source voice to the midi note, trust me.

When people use the verb "Autotuning", they imply quantizing the pitch of existing audio. Manually drawing notes in Melodyne or Autotune's graphic mode will give you similar results as triggering it via MIDI data; that is, you're not Autotuning

• Members

Katie Couric's voice would actually have to have some sort of melodic harmonic content for it to work like that.

you mean instead of that annoying sound that it makes normally? She's like fingernails on a chalkboard...

-Mc

• Members

Can people learn the diff between vocoder and auto tune? sick of people calling vocoder auto tune and vice versa.

Snyway, my friends always talk about how ''zomgz auto tune is so gay and annoying and pop music sucks'' but then they hear it on the Albert Hammond jr record and talk about how awesome it sounds.

I love auto tune (and FTR I love Albert Hammond Jr) and i like how lots of cool indie bands are starting to use it here and there. I do agree that it gets annoying when it's used for every single note.

Long live auto tune.

Archived