Starting Drum Lessons Tonight - Anyone else drum?

ScottIans Beard

• Members
Originally posted by Japetus

Learning drums is great..because then you don't have to depend on a drummer when recording.
;)

Always a plus. My drummer down the years has been pretty reliable to be fair to him!

However, im worried about practicing. I dont have a kit, and live in an appartment where the walls are almost paper thin.

Ill ask the teacher what he recommends

• Members

i played piano first, then took drum lessons throughout high school/secondary school, and then started guitar at 18.

Drumming really helped my rhythm sight reading. I recommend it. It also helps to let you know what way the drummer thinks if you're playing in a band.

:thu:

• Members

Before I started with guitar I wanted to play drums, but my mom wouldn't let me. I settled with guitar. The main problem is that I've never had a place to play them and can't afford the $200 a month for a studio.

• Members

I bought a drum set when I was in high school because I was in the mood and I'm impulsive. It turns out that it was a great idea, but I'm a guitar player at heart. I don't really think it helped me become a better guitarist in any way but it did help me write cooler songs, because I was always thinking of cool drum parts. Also, it's fun to play and you can jump in on a lot of jam sessions if there's ever a need for a drummer.

But a word of caution. I've developed a major habit of air drumming whenever I listen to music. I'll "drum" along to just about anything I hear especially in the car. I don't know if anyone does this or not, but I didn't used to. But it's all good.

• Members

Eddie Van Halen started out on drums. That's probably one of the reasons his rhythm chops on guitar are so good (IMHO). One of these days when I get room I'm gonna buy an electric drum kit so I can jam the drums without disturbing the neighbors. I can play a few simple beats but I'd like to get better. Playing drums is gas and a good workout physically, too. I lived in a house with a drummer once and if I had a bad day I could get all my frustrations out on his kit. I miss those days.

• Members
Originally posted by ScottIans Beard

I figured it would help my rhythm and writing. Anyone else drum on the side? Has it helped at all.

Ive always wanted to drum, looks fun, sounds cool and i imagine its quite a work out.

Wish me luck!

The drummer that I play with regularly is on the boards here...goes by the name of Farmer G
He's been a drum teacher as well for a long time, if you need any advise/tips drop him a PM, he's a good guy. :)

• Members
Originally posted by ScottIans Beard

I figured it would help my rhythm and writing. Anyone else drum on the side? Has it helped at all.

Ive always wanted to drum, looks fun, sounds cool and i imagine its quite a work out.

Wish me luck!

I was a drummer first, then a guitarist.

:)

• Members
Originally posted by MattACaster

I'm hoping to add a drumset like that to my jam room very soon.

It's tough walking in there.....decisions, decisions. Drums. Guitar. Drums. Guitar. Hmmmmmmmm.

The biggest problem is drums don't have a bedroom volume. :mad:

• Members

i also was a drummer first. the more you know about the different instruments in your band, the better you'll be to work with, and the more well-rounded your writing & playing will be. playing the drums gives you a very solid sense of rhythm, which is important since the guitar is a rhythm instrument (you STRIKE the strings to make noise).

• Members
Originally posted by Bostekrisco

Actually there kinda is. About 20 bucks at MF. They don't seem to last very long tho...

258602.jpg

Buy the HQ Soundoffs. Those work great, however, the pads that go on the cymbals will tear pretty quickly if your cymbal angle is funny and you keep hitting the edge of it. But yes those work great...just turn the snares off on your snare drum obviously and you should be good to go.

• Members

Picking up the guitar, I've really come to appreciate good pocket drummers a lot more. Nothing worse than a drummer who wants to show off....THE WHOLE TIME!

Which, in turn, has helped my drumming....instead of constantly throwing fills in people's faces and basically trying to show off.....I spend more time doing my basic job, which is keep time. Throw in a tasty fill periodically (rather than every 8 bars) and I'm golden.

Archived