August Party Time - New Gear Thread

5ku14

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:thu:

Quick question about it. I've only played with it a little bit, but is it always in setup mode, or can you magically leave setup and just play single sounds? Also, how do you restore the factory patches? Some are overwritten with sounds that are not very useable to me, so I want to see what I can make of the presets
:)

I'm so {censored}ing tired...

The original banks are at the Alesis site:

http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1146/tt/5

I think you might have to sign up for their newsletter to download stuff from there. You can load them in with midi-ox or a similar program. Extra patches are available in the files area of the Yahoo Ion/Micron group too if you sign up there. A good place for questions.

I like the system the use for single/layer sounds. Like Yoozer says, the 4 parts are available by pressing their buttons.
I think it would be something that would work well on romplers with 16 parts that are used live.
You could set it up so that different combinations of button presses would bring in different layers. Set the ranges in the program edit area.

• Members
This has been the most gas inducing 'new gear' thread in a good while!! Where did you find it and how much did it set you back, if you don't mind me askin'?

can you believe in my junior high music classroom in '88 they had one of those and a CS5? i used to play with the CS5 all the time.. but the teacher said the arp was missing the keyboard. i used to call it a scoreboard because i didn't know what it was.. it was as big as one and had built in speakers.. :idk:

• Members

This has been the most gas inducing 'new gear' thread in a good while!! Where did you find it and how much did it set you back, if you don't mind me askin'?

i got it from the VSE classifieds, for around 4.5KUSD.

Steep price I know, but better now than never.....life IS short!

anyway, I could have spent 2-3K on a "brand x" modular that lacks true vintage tone, classic status, normalled connections and historical cachet...but my tax return was good this year :D

• Members

We just had one of these installed in our piano today by our tech/tuner who says she has installed a couple hundred of them in her customers' pianos. We shall see if it was worth the money and will help keep the piano more stable in our wildly varying Minnesota climate.

uprightDiagram.jpg

• Members

anyway, I could have spent 2-3K on a "brand x" modular that lacks true vintage tone, classic status, normalled connections and historical cachet...but my tax return was good this year
:D

Yeah man, enjoy it!

• Members

The ARP2600 is one of the few vintage synths that I can understand paying market rates for - that thing is simply divine. Congratulations on finding a nice one!

At the height of the DX7 craze, my friend managed to buy an ARP2600 for $250. Then, a couple of years later, he got *another* ARP2600, again for $250. Two 2600s for $500! I guess market rates fluctuate rather wildly!

• Members

korg-z1.jpg

Came with a solid flightcase, pedal, manuals (mandatory for this one, I think) and a 4MB PCMCIA card with 256 additional sounds. It's apparently in really great condition, and hasn't been used much for the better part of a decade - so I had to get it. Been wanting one since, well, about 1997, I suppose. Should be fun when it arrives.

:):):)

• Members

korg-z1.jpg

Came with a solid flightcase, pedal, manuals (mandatory for this one, I think) and a 4MB PCMCIA card with 256 additional sounds. It's apparently in really great condition, and hasn't been used much for the better part of a decade - so I had to get it. Been wanting one since, well, about 1997, I suppose. Should be fun when it arrives.

God I miss my Z1 :(

Congrats, youve just bought yourself a monster! :cool:

• Members
korg-z1.jpg

WOoot!! Congrats man, I *love* my Z1. Very cool instrument.

anyway, I could have spent 2-3K on a "brand x" modular that lacks true vintage tone, classic status, normalled connections and historical cachet...but my tax return was good this year

Damn straight man, congrats! That's a great find, be sure to post up some tracks with it when you get around to it!

• Members

New 6U rack case, which also doubles up well as a monitor stand. Not super exciting, but my desk is tidier and i have space for the banana plant and a lava lamp :thu:

NewRack.jpg

Sort of my plan for the next month or two is to sort out tidyness and workflow stuff, so no big purchases while i do my darndest to make the studio a nice comfortable place to make music, rather than, um, looking like someone tried to build a dalek out of old gear.

Archived