So what other Monsters flew under the Radar in the 80's?

STEEL KAGE

• Members

I could post a link to a recording I did with the drummer of XYZ and the singer of Phantom Blue, but I was so far under the radar, you'd need a bunker busting bomb to have found me down there.:D

Ah whatever, here it is..... the chick from Phantom Blue sang backups and the second lead part.......

Cut me some slack, it's VERY, VERY old!

My lead is the second part. You should be able to hear the obvious tone change from Rockman rack setup to a Marshall JCM800 with a Furman PQ-3 and a Lexicon PCM-41

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3317587&q=hi

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Shellshock

David "Rock" Feinstein for The Rods always knew how to bring it:mad:

+1 "The Night Lives to Rock" indeed. Also on my list would be Bernie Torme (who immediately jumped in to help Ozzy following Randy's death).

Some more while I'm at it...Chet Thompson from Hellion. Another Randy connection (taught for Randy's mom).

Dave Meniketti (Y&T)

Chris Poland

Ron Thal

• Members

Originally posted by napalmshower05

YOU AIN'T {censored}TIN'!!

Grin was his best work. Flawless, jaw-dropping leads.

(Not to mention the tight rhythm, bass, and drums). A masterpiece, IMO.

Bravo - You get my vote for best post!

:thu:

For the record, I mentioned Coroner in the thrash thread :)

There was a guy who worked at K&K music in San Francisco, had a three piece called No Man's Land - I had a demo of theirs that was downright amazing. I heard he studied with Satriani, but definitely had his own sound, and his compositions were great, He had this one Spanish sounding "Bolero" piece that is still a favorite of mine.

• Members

Originally posted by Chubtone

I could post a link to a recording I did with the drummer of XYZ and the singer of Phantom Blue, but I was so far under the radar, you'd need a bunker busting bomb to have found me down there.
:D

Ah whatever, here it is..... the chick from Phantom Blue sang backups and the second lead part.......

Cut me some slack, it's VERY, VERY old!

My lead is the second part. You should be able to hear the obvious tone change from Rockman rack setup to a Marshall JCM800 with a Furman PQ-3 and a Lexicon PCM-41

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3317587&q=hi

:thu: I think the second part of the lead was the best part of the song! Very nice :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Maxx61

Some more while I'm at it...Chet Thompson from Hellion. Another Randy connection (taught for Randy's mom).

I took a couple of lessons from Chet. I was pretty disappointed actually. Aside from his goofy, guitar flung over the shoulder two hands on the neck gimmicky licks, he didn't have much of anything else. He played in a band with Dave the Beast Spitz who was my drummers roommate, and formerly in Black Sabbath and Impelliteri and Dan Spitz brother. The band was called Damn Nation. They were cool, but Chet was weak, as was his tone.

I took lessons from some great players in LA back then. The best teacher was Danny Gill who was a GIT instructor. I also took lessons from Darren Householder and Joey Tafolla.

I have a very surprising story from my one lesson with Joey Tafolla if anyone wants to hear it.

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

I was talking with H and Curt Chubtone about REally great players that flew under everybody's radar in the 80's. For me, the 2 most Obvious were Billy White and Steve McKnight from Cry Wolf.

Anybody have anybody else to add to this list?

Kage

Cry Wolf!! Awesome! Haven't heard that name in a long time. Didn't they play Robin guitars?? Anyone out there like Fifth Angel??

• Members

Originally posted by tnourse

Cry Wolf!! Awesome! Haven't heard that name in a long time. Didn't they play Robin guitars?? Anyone out there like Fifth Angel??

Yes, Robin guitars. Cry Wolf even did a little gig/clinic for Robin guitars at the store I taught at. Steve McKnight was really on par with just about anyone who came out of LA..... except Eddie and Randy!:thu:

• Members

The dude who followed James Byrd in Fifth Angel. Can't remember his name, but he played all over Time Will Tell. I used to think it was cool when Howard Stern used the intro to "Midnight Love" to open his 90's late night show. That was about the last time I thought Stern was cool.....:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

Are you talking about the version on the live album?

Not sure if the live version is the same, but the Unabridged version first appeared on cassette ( vs vinyl ) & subsequent cd, I believe.

And yeah, for single pups, Ian's got some tone.

Definitely hafta check out some Jon Butcher...

• Members
Originally posted by daver102

The dude who followed James Byrd in Fifth Angel. Can't remember his name, but he played all over Time Will Tell. I used to think it was cool when Howard Stern used the intro to "Midnight Love" to open his 90's late night show. That was about the last time I thought Stern was cool.....
:rolleyes:

I thought that the Stern tune was "Into the Fallout"?

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Mike Slamer was pretty good imho... played guitar for steve walsh on the 'streets' albums. Freaked me out when in an interview nuno bettencourt named him as being an inspiration.

Pete

Mike Slamer is one of my definite faves, period. I love his City Boy albums and still listen to them regularly. Mike Slamer is a great player, melodic as hell too.

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

A few (off the top of my head) Canadian guys I know of that probably didn't get heard that much internationally...

- Kim Mitchell from the band Max Webster

- Ian Crichton from the band Saga

- Peter Lesperance from the band Harem Scarem

- Marvin Birt from the band Haywire

Nice to see some Canadian content on here.:cool:

Those guys are all monsters. I saw Saga on Breakfast Television a few months ago, and Crichton can still play up a storm. He was using a floyd-equpped guitar through a rackmount SLO and two cabs. Kim Mitchell was always cool too. Check out Max Webster's "In The World Of Giants" if you want to hear him shred his ass off. Pete Lesperance is a monster as well, and he's really popular in Japan and Asia (that's how Harem Scarem make a living - they surely don't sell in Canada). Marvin Birt was very underrated as well. Oddly enough, a few months ago, I saw Paul MacAusland (Haywire's vocalist) playing in a pub here in Ottawa. He was doing the usual cover tunes. The guy has gained a lot of weight. I didn't even recognize him.

• Members

Originally posted by Tone Bone

Nice to see some Canadian content on here.
:cool:

Those guys are all monsters. I saw Saga on Breakfast Television a few months ago, and Crichton can still play up a storm. He was using a floyd-equpped guitar through a rackmount SLO and two cabs. Kim Mitchell was always cool too. Check out Max Webster's "In The World Of Giants" if you want to hear him shred his ass off. Pete Lesperance is a monster as well, and he's really popular in Japan and Asia (that's how Harem Scarem make a living - they surely don't sell in Canada). Marvin Birt was very underrated as well. Oddly enough, a few months ago, I saw Paul MacAusland (Haywire's vocalist) playing in a pub here in Ottawa. He was doing the usual cover tunes. The guy has gained a lot of weight. I didn't even recognize him.

Harem Scarem is one of my favorite bands ever. Too bad I'm never going to see them living in the states.:(

• Members

While I wasn't much into 80's guitar, there were a few I did like...

-Gary Moore (most of my licks are ripoffs of his)

-Kim Mitchell (Max Webster)

-John Albini (guitarist for Lee Aaron)

-Glen Alvalais (Forbidden)

-Alex Skolnick

-Steve Stevens (might not be under the radar, but he's great)

-Larry Mitchell

-Michael Lee Firkins (the only Shrapnel guy I could stand)

-Bruce Bouillet

• Members

for bands i thought should have gotten bigger i'd say;

RAIL

RIOT

SHOOTING STAR

for just the guitar player it would be PAT McManus from Mama's Boys, they were a power trio of brothers, from i beleave Ireland. thier album was just kindda average, but Pat tore it up live and ripped on the fiddle as well.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

Dave DiPietro ...from TT Quick.

As you probably know, he tought Zakk Wyld and Dave Sabo.

{censored}, this is the first time I've ever seen his name mentioned. I saw TT Quick at least a dozen times when I was a young dude.

They f'ng rock.. It's sad that Dave Di Pietro gets no mention, when in fact he is a killer player.

• 11 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Alan Murphy who died in 1989, was a great player ,he played with Level 42 and Go West in the 80`s he also did quite a few sessions on some popular singles back then ,you could recognize his playing very easy ,he did use quite a few of Alan Holdsworth type teqniques though, but still, he could rip it up some.

• Members

John Levin of the German band Warlock and currently with Dokken.

Robin Tower, criminally passed over and accused of being a "Hendrix clone ".

Mitch Perry, played with Billy Sherman's , Talas.

Robert Sarzo of Hurricane, Jeff Tate's version of Queensryche, also the Brother of legendary bassist , Rudy Sarzo.

Akira Takahashi of Loudness. Easily, can stand shoulder to shoulder with Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai or any 1980's shred guitar heroes.

Great guitarists, but sadly criminally overlooked

Archived