Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree the SV-1 is an amazing instrument, I returned mine due to issues with the velocity switching and the horrible piano and organ samples. The concept was PERFECT, very easy to use, the keybed a joy to play on and the EPs "ALMOST" right.

The CP5 is my choice as it excels past the competition in the area of Pianos and EPs. I agree the UI is mind blowing:facepalm: (What Genius designed it?); but other than than the overly complex and burdensome UI, I fell in love with the CP5 when I demoed it; however I must give the SV-1 its due recognition, the SV-1 is an impressive instrument period. I hope Korg fixes the velocity switching issue and adds some REAL piano samples to the instrument. I am not really keen on the organs in any of the stage choices, I am planning on using a VK-8M for my organs anyways...

Oh for amps try the Traynor K4, not sure if they have them down under but its blows past the Roland, Motion Sound and other semi-competition.

• Members

Another return here on the SV-1 88 (actually I sold it locally on CL). I agree it's a very cool board. It was perfect for the few Rock/RnB gigs I used it on. The Wurlitzer is the best thing going on there imo. The AP thinned out live for my Jazz gigs and I didn't care for the sound-action connection either.

I knew it was mainly a Rock/RnB board going in but after hearing a very flattering camcorder recording (as real world as you can get ) of an excellent European lady Jazz pianist I took a leap of faith on it. After 3 gigs in 3 different rooms with 3 different rhythm sections, the results were the same...I just couldn't get connected from a piano standpoint and the sound, while stellar on the recordings I heard, didn't make it for me while I was actually sitting there playing...actually kinda weird..

I just bought the CP-5 too. If I had the dough I'd keep the SV-1 around for the times the RnB kind of gigs came up. Unfortunately, it's not often enough to justify keeping "an extra board".

The thing I loved about it was it's easy to use for a non-tech, Jazz piano guy like me. I'm dreading having to learn the ins & outs of the CP5.

coda--I used two different setups with the SV-1 88. For the RnB gigs I used the Motion Sound 200 and the Jazz stuff a pair of fairly high end RCF TT08As and the new A&H ZED10FX mixer.

I agrree the cp1/5 has some real authentic sounds, but they just didn't finish the job especially with the rhodes. The ep's sound very thin and lack some power. But everyone have their own taste and preferences. Yamaha cp stuff cannot be updated with new sounds like nord/sv-1. Rich (Korg guy) announced a new sound pack for the SV-1. Hope you will enjoy your cp-5, the AP's are good.

• Members

I'm locked in for a new ST SV-1 stand for my SV-1... should be here in a few days. I have been looking forward to seeing how well it fits in the CBSV173 case. If it works as advertised it'll be the first time ever I will be able to walk into a gig with my keyboard (+ stand + cables + pedal) in one hand and an amp in the other. Sweeeeeet!

New sounds from Rich? Do we have a list yet?

• Members

I'm locked in for a new ST SV-1 stand for my SV-1... should be here in a few days. I have been looking forward to seeing how well it fits in the CBSV173 case. If it works as advertised it'll be the first time ever I will be able to walk into a gig with my keyboard (+ stand + cables + pedal) in one hand and an amp in the other. Sweeeeeet!

New sounds from Rich? Do we have a list yet?

On page 26 Rich wrote that details are forthcoming. I guess we'll just have to check the Korg site every now and then.

• Members
I'm probably in the very small minority at least with "keyboardists", but being more a "pianist" the Rhodes are never a huge consideration on any keyboard I buy. I rarely use them.

I also own a Yamaha cp-300 and though it's an older version of the Yamaha suite it's great for playing acoustic piano. It has a great action and a very responsive Grand Piano (Yamaha of course, you won't find a Steinway...:) )
Over the years I played more and more Rhodes (and a bit Wurly) and even owned the real thing. The Sv-1 is therefore a better choise. The way Yamaha made those ep's in the cp1/5 etc is great (sort of physical modelling I believe). Changing the tines etc in the CP1 really works and basicly the sounds are very very realistic/authentic but they just didn't finish the audio part; it's like they only pumped the midband equalizer or something like that. I ran it through headphones, a small pa and some krk active studio speakers but the sound just didn't cut through (IMHO). The acoustics piano's sound great in cp1 and cp5 and the action is good (maybe a bit too light). Have you already sold your sv-1? Hope you'll have more fun with the cp-5
regards
Rhodjuzz
Holland

• Members
I just sold my CP300 about a month ago. i loved the keyboard but being 72 lbs. plus the case, it was just getting too much to schlep. And yes I did sell my SV-1 about 10 days ago.

I'm hoping (and praying ) the CP-5 is my last board here. If it doesn't work out, I really don't know where to turn. I'd hate to think about going back to the CP300
:cry:
, but it's the only DP that has really ever "cut through" live while still playing and sounding good.

I played a 1976 Rhodes Mk1 and JC120 tonight... pure magic!!! Not sure any modern keyboard has got the sound yet but for me the SV-1 is still a great instrument...

• Members

Yamaha cp stuff cannot be updated with new sounds like nord/sv-1. Rich (Korg guy) announced a new sound pack for the SV-1. Hope you will enjoy your cp-5, the AP's are good.

Not quite true... the SV-1 cannot be updated with new sounds per se (i.e. samples), but new patches based on the existing ROM samples are the main focus. The Nord has a flash memory which allows entirely new samples to be uploaded. The CP-5 surely allows new patches to be added based on the existing sample set... just like SV-1?

• Members
Not quite true... the SV-1 cannot be updated with new sounds per se (i.e. samples), but new patches based on the existing ROM samples are the main focus. The Nord has a flash memory which allows entirely new samples to be uploaded. The CP-5 surely allows new patches to be added based on the existing sample set... just like SV-1?

Yes, you're right. The sv-1 gotta do it with the existing ROM, but Korg stated there are lot's of possibilities in there. I suggested to add a more dark Rhodes sound (less bell like) and Rich wrote I am going to be very happy with the new Soundpack (so, who knows???...).
The nord has indeed flash ROM to add the sounds, but I tried the new piano library v5 in the Nord Piano but there were not enough dynamics in the EP's. I owned a electro 1 and I couldn't notice an improvement. The 2 new added rhodes piano's (bright tines and sparkle top) couldn't interest me at all. The bright tines piano is a sort of bad version of a dyno rhodes (which I actually hate) and the sparkle top was nice but unusable.

I didn't know the CP-5 had the ability to add new patches (indeed same way as the sv-1). Sorry for that incorrect data :facepalm:.

• Members

I really don't know. If memory serves me right, the Triton Extreme had a multi named "storm riders", which was basically a setup for Riders. It had a wurlitzer and rhodes sound combined :p.

Doesn't really sound like a rhodes or a wurlitzer to me, so I guess it's one of those early models, like the sparkletop. And it works perfectly.

• Members

Got the STSV173 stand today. It's weird. A little heavier than I expected. The legs swing up and lock into place and a simple pair of braces reinforce them. What's really whacked in the instructions make the point repeatedly that mounting the SV-1 on this stand is a two-man operation... you're supposed to have two guys balance the keyboard on that single brace while you screw the keyboard to the stand. That's bunk. The way to mount this is to put the keyboard upright in it's carry bag and screw the stand on while the keyboard is on the ground (and safe). Then hoist the complete assembly upright, like you would a Rhodes piano.

Otherwise the stand has a spindly look to it that kind of works with the retro thing. You can buy a better stand for $150 but not one that will fit in the CBSV173 carry bag like this one will. Guess I'll keep it.

• Members

Got the STSV173 stand today. It's weird. A little heavier than I expected. The legs swing up and lock into place and a simple pair of braces reinforce them. What's really whacked in the instructions make the point repeatedly that mounting the SV-1 on this stand is a two-man operation... you're supposed to have two guys balance the keyboard on that single brace while you screw the keyboard to the stand. That's bunk. The way to mount this is to put the keyboard upright in it's carry bag and screw the stand on while the keyboard is on the ground (and safe). Then hoist the complete assembly upright, like you would a Rhodes piano.

Otherwise the stand has a spindly look to it that kind of works with the retro thing. You can buy a better stand for $150 but not one that will fit in the CBSV173 carry bag like this one will. Guess I'll keep it.

I've found it useful to use the rubber foot in the middle of the SV-1's bottom panel to be a useful guide while setting it up. It fits neatly onto a recess on the middle of the stand.

• Members

I've found it useful to use the rubber foot in the middle of the SV-1's bottom panel to be a useful guide while setting it up. It fits neatly onto a recess on the middle of the stand.

That rubber foot acting as a guide would only work if you are bolting the keyboard/stand together while they are in a vertical position, which is asking for the piano to slip away and hit the floor if one guy is doing it alone. The safest approach is to leave the SV-1 in it's padded case on the floor and roll it over so you can attach the legs, then set it upright.

I'll give you one thing - the SV-1 on it's stand is surprisingly sturdy.

• Members

Had the chance to try out the SV-1 a few days ago and fell in lust, especially the funky clavs. However, as one who does not make a living as a keyboardist, nor keys being my primary instrument, I cannot fathom spending anywhere near that price.

And ideas on comparable boards that offer a similar battery of sounds/effects, are as roadworthy, and might have USB connectivity for some outboard stuff would be cool. I'm not as picky about action as a pro-keys guy would be. I'm also not a "tweaker", nor would I have a lot of time for a steep learning curve. Ideally, I'd like to find something new or used for $750 or below.

Thanks in advance for any direction you all can offer.

• Members

The original Motif line excels in the category of realistic sounds, USB connectivity, road worthy, etc. Oh and a 61 can be purchased for $500 if you want the extra octave I am positive a 76 can be found for $750. Its a great board with great out the box EPs, Clavs, etc..

• Members

Order the Sv-1 88-key version with the ST-SV-1 stand today. Should be there in a few weeks (also depends on the availability of the stand). Looked like prices starting to increase of this board in our country. I ordered it for the old price with extra discount. Cannot wait till the new soundback to be released. Last week I subscribed to the Korg newsletter and received the Issue of May this year in which the new soundback was already announced and that's a few months ago now...

• Members
Order the Sv-1 88-key version with the ST-SV-1 stand today. Should be there in a few weeks (also depends on the availability of the stand). Looked like prices starting to increase of this board in our country. I ordered it for the old price with extra discount. Cannot wait till the new soundback to be released. Last week I subscribed to the Korg newsletter and received the Issue of May this year in which the new soundback was already announced and that's a few months ago now...

That had to be soundPack of course :facepalm:

• Members

The original Motif line excels in the category of realistic sounds, USB connectivity, road worthy, etc. Oh and a 61 can be purchased for $500 if you want the extra octave I am positive a 76 can be found for $750. Its a great board with great out the box EPs, Clavs, etc..

Looks like I got some research to do. I appreciate the feedback, as the amount of available information is overwhelming, especially to a non-keyboard expert like myself.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Great timing... We're just wrapping up our next bank of sounds now. I think you're going to be very happy. Details forthcoming.
:thu:

Hi Rich,
I can hardly wait any longer. It is a while ago now, can you provide us any information yet?
Thank you Rhodjuzz

BTW here in The Netherlands the ST-SV1 stand seems to have a long time of delivery as well :cry:

Archived