Have you met any famous keyboard players?

The Pro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Van Cliburn. I spent 2 weeks with him at his house. He was very nice to me. Asked me to play the piano after a dinner party with a few friends. I hadn't practiced in a long time. I played although I was a bit self conscious and hated the fact that he hadn't asked me about 5 years earlier when I was playing and practicing regularly. His mother was such a wonderful person and so very gracious. I counted 21 grand pianos in that house. Most of them concert grands. He has helped so many aspiring pianists and given so much to the arts in general. He truly is a national treasure.

• Members

Chick Corea (got lucky and did backline for the Electrik Band years ago)
Stephen Kay (back when he was doing seminars for Korg)
Chuck Leavell (at a Summer NAMM years ago)
Joey D (when he was a teenager hanging out at Ensoniq)

met a few more celebrities and backed a couple up, but you did say keyboard players ...

• Members

I got to meet Rick Wakeman twice - once when Yes came to Australia in 2003 and the other time was a few years ago when he came out for a small tour on his own.

Also, I'm an 'e-mail friend' (for about the last 10 years) of Mr Francis Monkman -- he's a jolly nice chap and an amazing keyboard/harpsichord/pipe organ player :cool: (not forgetting he's a great guitarist also!)

• Members

Well, I was blessed to work for a major Florida-based retailer back in the 80's, as well as a highly respected backline agency so my list is extensive but it includes:

Tony Banks (Genesis)

We have a winner!

As for me, Ryo Okumoto and Geoff Downes.

• Members

I just posted about this in another thread, but a few months ago I had a recording session in my studio with Pete Sears who played with the Jefferson Starship for 13 years as well as with Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Jerry Garcia, Hot Tuna, and others. He recorded keyboard tracks on my Korg Karma for two songs on my latest CD (the one in my avatar). A great experience.

I'm also friends with Constance Demby, Steven Halpern, and Suzanne Ciani - mostly keyboard players in the new age/ambient electronic genres. I've also briefly met a few others like Steve Roach and Robert Rich.

If you happen to visit NAMM and/or work for a musical instruments manufacturer and/or are an active, touring/session musician, the chances of meeting, working, having lunch with famous people are big.

* Famous could mean too many different things

That said, I'll include people that throughout the years I have met / had dinner with / had a actual chat with / had worked with and I consider famous:

* Dave Bryce

* Herbie Hancock

* Suzanne Ciani

* BT

* Rick Wakeman

* Jordan Rudess

* Elson Trinidad

* Cheche Alara

* Steve LeBlanc

* Trent Reznor

* Bon Jovi's David Bryan

* Tons and tons of latin american keyboardists, mostly unknown in the US.

* As every single NAMM-goer I've seen Stevie Wonder every year walking through the aisles but never talked to him.

... too many to remember, but I guess all of them could be the most important -that's why they are easier to remember-

• Members
If you happen to visit NAMM and/or work for a musical instruments manufacturer and/or are an active, touring/session musician, the chances of meeting, working, having lunch with
famous
people are big.

* Famous could mean too many different things

That said, I'll include people that throughout the years I have met / had dinner with / had a actual chat with / had worked with and I consider famous:

* Dave Bryce

* Herbie Hancock

* Suzanne Ciani

* BT

* Rick Wakeman

* Jordan Rudess

* Elson Trinidad

* Cheche Alara

* Steve LeBlanc

* Trent Reznor

* Bon Jovi's David Bryan

Tons and tons of latin american keyboardists, mostly unknown in the US.

Hmm, this Gus Lozada guy claims to have met me. I seem to have no recollection. Weird.

:lol:

• Members

Lots of players, maybe not all superstars, but here are a few off the top of my head.

Bill Payne

Butch Taylor

Bruce Hornsby

Joey DeFrancesco

John Novello

Butch Taylor was a salesman at the music store I dealt with in the '80s/'90s, I used to go see him play quite often in the jazz/fusion group Secrets that he was in at the time (they also used to have guitarist Tim Reynolds sit in with them). I still have some DX7 patch banks I got from Butch years ago that he used in the jazz group. I also dated Hornby's ex years ago before he made the big time, she used to always tell me "You should hear my ex play sometime, he's quite good". Never met Bruce though. I did meet Greg Allman many years ago in the '70s, he was just a regular guy, easy to talk to. There are a bunch of great keyboard players I'd like to meet, but these days I don't get to anyplace I'm likely to meet them.

Clyde

• Members

My wedding band flew into Seattle to play a wedding at the Four Seasons. When we pulled up to the hotel with our gear, the staff went above and beyond, enthusiastically greeting us, and helping to carry our gear to the ballroom, where we told them we needed to set up. It was quite nice, but seemed a bit over the top, until, while we were in the elevator, one of them turned to us and said: "Man, it must be awesome to play with Chick Corea!"

Turns out Chick had just checked into the hotel -- he had a concert in town --- and they'd assumed we were in his band.

We did meet him in the lobby briefly later on.

Archived