guitar+cord+amp

cincy

• Members

Whenever this comes up (often)...I feel compelled to speak up.

I know that some people do this(guitar+cord+amp) for "purity" or "principle". People admit as much.

And there's nothing wrong with that, I guess.

The bands that I am in a so varied....80's covers, wedding/corps and art-rock originals.... that I need different tones and effects.

I want to create textures, depth and soudscapes for my audience.

I can't do that for all the bands with just a guitar, cord and amp.

It also doesn't make any sense...with so many tools at your disposal. Like building a house with just a hammer. You *could*....but why not use the powered staple gun, cordless drill, and wire cutters as well?

There's nothing more shivering than 340 ms delay with 3-4 repeats and a volume pedal. Cleans?....75% of the time I have at least a little chorus and reverb. The tape delay sim on my Tonelab SE is so {censored}ing cool!

SO you are saying "Oh...he's using all that stuff to cover up his {censored}ty playing"...or "all that {censored} is sucking your tone". Oh...perhaps.

Or maybe I'm an artist giving color and texture to the work, insted of a plain pencil.

I could certainly just use an amp and guitar, (I wouldn't like it as much) but like any good artist or technician, I am going to use all the tools possible to create the piece.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I know that some people do this(guitar+cord+amp) for "purity" or "principle". People admit as much.

The bands that I am in a so varied....80's covers, wedding/corps and art-rock originals.... that I need different tones and effects.

It also doesn't make any sense...with so many tools at your disposal. Like building a house with just a hammer. You *could*....but why not use the powered staple gun, cordless drill, and wire cutters as well?

There's nothing more shivering than 340 ms delay with 3-4 repeats and a volume pedal. Cleans?....75% of the time I have at least a little chorus and reverb. The tape delay sim on my Tonelab SE is so {censored}ing cool!

SO you are saying "Oh...he's using all that stuff to cover up his {censored}ty playing"...or "all that {censored} is sucking your tone". Oh...perhaps.

Or maybe I'm an artist giving color and texture to the work, insted of a plain pencil.

I could certainly just use an amp and guitar, (I wouldn't like it as much) but like any good artist or technician, I am going to use all the tools possible to create the piece.

i agree with that as being a great tool for being different, but some people like be straight forward and have less of a hassle with their set up, now you may never had any problems, and their is nothing wrong with using all of your effect's, i got a {censored}load but i use them rarely, mostly wah's and chorus's sometime' delay's. but i have fun just running guitar and amp and when i am bored or whatever, well to put it simpler i {censored} off more with tone and setting's than actually playing when i use alot of effects

• Members

I play prog fusion. This is the main rig I run with the amps stereo. I rarely use effects but I like to have them regardless, its nice to add some flavour every once in a while. I have a bunch of other pedals I dont use anymore, I will be getting a GMajor soon as well because they are pretty transparent.

currentrig.jpg

• Members

But if you put your effects in the loop,you are going guitar - cable - amp,right?:wave:

• Members

I've gotta say this, I'm sorry. There's a lot of things that you can do with effects that you can't do with an amp, true, but when it comes to overdriven tones I've yet to see a pedal that can beat a good hi-gain all tube preamp section. I've owned some nice fuzz and distortion pedals from custom builders and whatnot and they just plain do not sound as good, ever. MY D*A*M Meathead is the best one so far, but it really only gets used with my little modded Valve Jr. This is one thing that really drives me nuts when I see Matamp users doing it. I can't afford a Matamp, but if I'm not mistaken they're supposed to have a really nice overdriven tone, right? I mean I thought that was the one thing they were supposed to be really kickass at doing, which is why they cost soooo much damned money. Thing is, I see all these dudes with them, and they've got 4 or 5 overdrive/fuzz pedals running in front of it. I don't know, it just seems kinda dumb, but of course tone is completely subjective isn't it?

• Members

If you expect to play anything other than traditional blues, rock, or any kind of music that does not require coloring of ones sound

then listen to this mans advice

• Members

Originally posted by WhiskeyBucket

I've gotta say this, I'm sorry. There's a lot of things that you can do with effects that you can't do with an amp, true, but when it comes to overdriven tones I've yet to see a pedal that can beat a good hi-gain all tube preamp section. I've owned some nice fuzz and distortion pedals from custom builders and whatnot and they just plain do not sound as good, ever. MY D*A*M Meathead is the best one so far, but it really only gets used with my little modded Valve Jr. This is one thing that really drives me nuts when I see Matamp users doing it. I can't afford a Matamp, but if I'm not mistaken they're supposed to have a really nice overdriven tone, right? I mean I thought that was the one thing they were supposed to be really kickass at doing, which is why they cost soooo much damned money. Thing is, I see all these dudes with them, and they've got 4 or 5 overdrive/fuzz pedals running in front of it. I don't know, it just seems kinda dumb, but of course tone is completely subjective isn't it?

Matamps have great tone (when cranked, which isn't always feasible, which is one reason why people use boosts/dirt pedals with them); but they're not high gain by any stretch of the imagination. (which is another reason why people use pedals with them).

"tone is completely subjective"

pretty much sums it up! a LOT of people really like the sound of a good hi-gain all tube preamp section being given that little extra push over the top that you get from a boost pedal.

• Members

Hopefully they aren't all on at the same time. I agree,I've tried tons of dirt pedals and none have come close to a decent tube amp. I do use them for oddball special tones. After all,I'd never buy an amp that sounds like a Super Fuzz but it is handy for certain stuff.

• Members

You must be out of your goddamned mind.

I must be, I got married..........twice. but back to the topic. I've made a hell of a lot more money with effects than without.

You play out much do you Einstein. IF you listen to even the mosrt traditional of music, you may notice a litele delay here or there.......you know like hendrix, old ZZ top........or is that my imagination there laddy boy

Archived