For those using a maple fretboard why?

TOStudent

• Members

Well I love my Charvel M1. I like the attack and feel of maple fretboards. It doesn't look good on every guitar, but I love the way it looks on mine. It's just different and I prefer it over rosewood tonally, but ebony is my favorite by far. Ebony has all the pros of maple without any of it's weak points.

I really don't care for rosewood at all, but sometimes you don't have a choice when your looking for a nice midpriced guitar. All I can say about rosewood is that it works.

• Members

Not so much tone. Just feel. It doesnt matter to me whether its satined or unfinished. Hard surface = good.

Also, I have a couple skin thingies that make it extremely annoying to work with rosewood or ebony, my dead skin gets imbedded in the board and I have to scratch it out - with unfinished maple I can just wipe the board down, and with satin finish it doesnt generally build up at all.

• Members

Originally posted by TOStudent

I am not bashing it. I have never owned one. Just tried for short period of time.

I am just curious to your reasoning.

Tone?

Feel?

Look?

Becasue that is all a certain guitar comes with?

They smell good and if you break the neck, they burn nicely in the fireplace.

• Members

I was a rosewood guy in the beginning when I started playing seriously in 1988 and got my first guitar (at age 16). Then 3 years ago I got a Peavey Wolfgang with a maple fretboard and realized that I really liked what I heard and felt. The tone was brighter and clearer and more defined. Then a few months ago I got a Pink Paisley tele with a maple fretboard and realize that was the "twang" that I didn't have in any of my past tele's with rosewood fretboards, so I did an A/B compairson with several other telecasters and ended up selling my other tele with the rosewood neck and got another tele with a maple neck.

So for the first 15 years I played nothing by Rosewood and now I only own one rosewood fretboard guitar and it's a cheap strat copy (that plays great), and 3 other guitars with maple fretboards.

For tele's, it's a twang factor....... For the Wolfgagn, it's less dark tone issue. Who knows, maybe in another 15 years I'll go back to Rosewood, I've still got time (I'm only 34 now). Plus, something about maple necks on a tele just look nice.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

maple feels better under my finger tips. its smoother. Sometimes during a bend I feel like I get stuck or slowed down with rosewood.

Ebony is cool though as its pretty smooth as well.

I like Ebony as well it usually only comes on certain guitar models though and usually more expensive.

• Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Don't like the feel of the grain in rosewood and the soft grinding under your fingers, I can't stand it really.
:freak:

IMO, maple looks and feels and sounds better, just preference.

I'll have to try a couple and experience what you guys are talking about.

Is there a pick up you prefer running with maple fretboards vs. rosewood/Ebony?

• Members

I like Ebony as well it usually only comes on certain guitar models though and usually more expensive.

Werd. Like an LP Custom. I prefer those for the ebony alone. My Martin D-42 has ebony and its smooth as silk. :thu:

• Members

Non maple fretboard strats and tele's are dead to me! Just don't dig the look or the playability. The maples seem to feel better.

That aside I don't mind rosewood on any other guitar. I am a big Les Paul fan.

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Werd. Like an LP Custom. I prefer those for the ebony alone. My Martin D-42 has ebony and its smooth as silk.
:thu:

That is why I got the older Studio I have it comes with Ebony and it has the pearl trapazoids and not the green colored ones.

The newer ones have the rosewood.

Customs are way out of my price range.LOL

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

Strats and Jacksons, I prefer the look, feel and tone of Maple or ebony. On Les Pauls, I like Rosewood, as well as ebony, but I only like it after it's been used a year or two, it gets smoother and waxy.

I like the ebony on Jackson's Soloists I just am not a big 24 ft fan.

• Members

That is why I got the older Studio I have it comes with Ebony and it has the pearl trapazoids and not the green colored ones.

The newer ones have the rosewood.

Customs are way out of my price range.LOL

I heard that. Lefty Customs are ridiculously expensive. Ive heard about those Studios. And Ive even seen some older (late 80's, maybe early 90's) Flying V's with ebony boards.

I wonder if they made any of those studios in Lefty? Probably not. :rolleyes:

Archived