Slightly OT: Best Movie Scores Ever

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Great thread. Sure beats analog vs digital etc.

I haven't read the entire thread but I thought Dave Grusin on "The Firm" was interesting ... and bold - SOLO PIANO

So many but here are a few off the top of my head:

Out of Africa - heart wrenching
Clockwork Orange - unsettling
The Matrix - exciting
Star Wars - of course.

Pretty much anything directed by Kubrik has a great emphasis on sound, music and aural space.

Sometimes when you don't actually notice the score is when it's really doing its job.

and ... ooh ooh

Toy Story ... "When Somebody Loves Me" - killer tear jerker in and out of context.

PS I am a chick.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@ ElectricPuppy - yeh "UP" is a ripper too. My wife cried her eyes out in that one. I HAD to stay strong!

on another note: I was recently reminded of the theme from "The Onedin Line". An Adagio from the ballet Spartacus by Kachaturian - absolutely fantastic.

Here's the TV opening

Take 10 mins out of your life and listen to the complete Adagio - you'll never be the same, especially from 6mins30 ish. Doesn't require any visuals but you can find the Bolshoi on the Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNrqsrd2PI&feature=related

Turn it up loud - don't listen through your laptop speakers - please ...

• Members

Some of my faves:

The Mission (E. Morricone or however you spell his name)

Local Hero (Mark Knopfler)

Wag the Dog (Mark Knopfler, totally different from Local Hero)

Cool Runnings (various artists, a lot of fun music.)

Also, before I get off the Mark Knopfler theme, an obscure movie called Comfort and Joy. Soundtrack by Knopfler, but instead of original music, it's mostly regurgitated music from the album/CD Love Over Gold - but used to great effect in the movie.

Archived