Slightly OT: Best Movie Scores Ever

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

some kick ass soundtracks not mentioned:

the fugitive, crouching tiger hidden dragon, killing fields, donnie darko, virgin suicides, shindler's list, taxi driver (or any/all bernard herrmann), eyes wide shut, 2001 a space oddysey (any kubrick films really)

*edit: lost highway (and inland empire), the mission, bram stoker's dracula, the hunger, platoon..........

• Members

Blade Runner

Apocalypse Now

The Fifth Element

Solaris (the remake)

Gattaca

Lord of the Rings

Taxi Driver

Once Upon a Time in the West

Once Upon a Time in America (that end shot of de Niro's face with the music over it...)

Probably loads of others I can't remember right now.

I did like Sunshine - but I really think they wrecked the ending (poor last third anyway...) by slapping the Underworld track on over the credits. I am an Underworld fan, but it completely ruined the mood.

A lot of films seem to do that now, slap on music completely unrelated to what went before - "sod the film, we've got to get this track on so the soundtrack sells". The credits seem to be an afterthought (seem to be to cinema owners too - lights come up as soon as the credits start to roll).

• Members

Nominate the first movie, then. :poke:

See, when I say, "score", I don't mean just the main themes, I mean the rest of the music, too. I think they completely ruined the "Mission: Impossible" theme in the movie by cramming it into a 4/4 beat. :(

Anyway, other movie scores I like:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Edward Scissorhands

Generally, I liked Elfman's earlier stuff, his later stuff has been more annoying to me, though. The music for Planet of the Apes really bugged me.

• Members

I think at least the myst series should qualify since the game is more or less a playable movie and the soundtrack was written from that perspective. there's a great many articles and videos to attest to that.. just saying it's worth a mention with regards to that and that it was written on synthesizers and recorded orchestras as opposed to the mainly adaptive loops written on absynth that you find in most games these days.

it's nothing to argue over XD but worth an honorable mention.

• Members

See, when I say, "score", I don't mean just the main themes, I mean the rest of the music, too. I think they completely ruined the "Mission: Impossible" theme in the movie by cramming it into a 4/4 beat.
:(

Anyway, other movie scores I like:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Edward Scissorhands

Generally, I liked Elfman's earlier stuff, his later stuff has been more annoying to me, though. The music for Planet of the Apes really bugged me.

in that regards, indiana jones 4 had one of the worst.. all it was was multiple inversion of the jones hook. takes off his hat "dahn da dut dah!" puke.

Archived