Slightly OT: Best Movie Scores Ever

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Danny Elfman is one of the greatest composers of our time.

Someone already mention Donnie Darko, the soundtrack was written by a guy named Mike Andrews, who goes by the name Elgrin Park and is a San Diego legend, he plays in Karl Densons Tiny Universe and does a ton of soundtrack work.

For this movie, even though he is a guitar player, the entire thing was done without guitar. Great stuff.

Also, I have never seen the movie, but the soundtrack for Wag the Dog is fantatic. Its Mark Knopfler solo stuff. Really great upbeat acoustic guitar instrumental.

• Members

Deserves a + 1. After all, it creeps and leaps and slides and glides across the floor. The blob and it's anthem, a thing of beauty to be sure.

I'd also like to add, even though it's kind of a cheat, the soundtrack for "kill your idols", but I'm not going to, because I'm desperately worried what people might think.

Anyways, ignoring all that in the smug interest of gettin down wit it, here's a little ditty featured in the film sure to make you reel in ambivalent distaste and liesurely disapproval. They don't make em like this any... well, to paraphrase a line of dialouge in Ghostbusters, they never made them like this, and the guys who made it (irony) we're either certified geniuses or asthetic wackos...

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

And while we're on the subject of sound tracks and ghostbusting...

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Tron is great.

I love the soundtrack to the Shawshank Redemption, it's not a super-complicated score but it definitely brings out the emotion (in me at least), especially with the voiceover. The swelling strings after 2:00 combined with the visuals of Red going through the fields.....wow.

EDIT: this is "Compass and Guns", the part that starts with Red looking at...you guessed it, compasses and guns in the pawnshop window. It ends with him reading the letter under the oak tree.

[YOUTUBE]jlfSNSQRheo[/YOUTUBE]

Also from Shawshank, when Andy breaks out...that buildup is incredible.

It's hard to beat the Imperial March from Star Wars. My two little sons are duelling around the house with their toy sabers trying to sing that all the time :D

Archived