Speaker closer to your ear vs closer to the floor

Your Guitarist

• Members

Originally posted by SkyhighRocks

my sound is great out front through the mains...but my cab directly at my ears? Not good...on the floor? sounds great...

Theres alot of reasons for this....Its not nearly as simple as "you need to re-eq" either....

Sometimes the coupling of the floor *deos* make a difference - in my case - I use a 2x12 open back cab and trust me - getting it off the ground does it NO favors....

Also, if you mike off-axis (as I do) it makes NO sense to have your tone dialed in on-axis. You are NOT hearing what you are producing at that point....

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

What you folks are actually saying is that your amp sounds great when you aren't hearing what it really sounds like. My cabs are always up off the stage floor about 15-18".

No, not exactly. Its a tad more complicated and I am sure you do know this.

• Members
Originally posted by Lorax

No, not exactly. Its a tad more complicated and I am sure you do know this.

Yes,I know. I just think it is so silly when the guitarist standing 5' away from his/her speakers blasting at their legs whines that "I can't hear myself" while those 10-15' away are more in line with the speakers and are getting their asses handed to them with ear-bleeding volume.

• Members

Originally posted by SkyhighRocks
my sound is great out front through the mains...but my cab directly at my ears? Not good...on the floor? sounds great...

But is your sound great to the folks in the crowd at whom it is pointed? I'll bet not - it's likely too bright and too loud.

• Members
Originally posted by TimmyP

But is your sound great to the folks in the crowd at whom it is pointed? I'll bet not - it's likely too bright and too loud.

Hopefully they would only be hearing the mains. That's why using your amp mostly as a sidefill onstage works so well.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Yes,I know. I just think it is so silly when the guitarist standing 5' away from his/her speakers blasting at their legs whines that "I can't hear myself" while those 10-15' away are more in line with the speakers and are getting their asses handed to them with ear-bleeding volume.

agreed....especially with closed back cabs....Open back cabs work in this way because they fill up the room/stage with sound. They get a bad rap but really - they do help you keep the volume down because they arent so focused. At least in small clubs/stages where side throwing isnt practical.....But side throwing is the absolute best way to handle any situation that allows it.

• Members

Originally posted by TimmyP

actually it sounds great as I've gone out there to hear myself through the mains while playing.

Archived