December New Gear thread

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My analog inputs in the Masterlink have been acting up so I thought it needed an upgrade anyway, and I'm putting one of these in front of it:

lucid.jpg

I sold a guitar amp last month to fund other studio upgrades (including some room treatment) but this was needed, so I got it. But I'll still do more treatment in my mixing room - though with all the help from people here, it's already sounding a whole lot better than it was, and I don't get any trapped waves anywhere near 4 feet of where I sit. :thu: But of course, I want to improve the whole room, so that's next.

• Members

Freebies:

Over 1 Gig of Free (Loyalty Free) WAV samples and loops from all over the intertubes. I had to stop downloading as it was a never ending supply

NI KORE Player with lasts years Production Pack and this years Production Pack 2 (all FREE, thanks mildbill for the reminder)

Plus all the MV patches and samples from Roland's free offers.

Phew. With all the recording/sample mangling from the SP404SX to create new WAV's I am gonna be busy creating favourites and resamples from that lot.

Found a WAVE player/converter for PC maniplation. It can run plugins if needed (WAVOSAUR)

:wave:

• Members

More new gear for me. Where I work they will give you online gift certs as a bonus for excellent service or completing projects ahead of time, etc. I got a $250 one, and redeemed it at Tiger Direct. They had an M-Audio Fasttrack Pro USB with midi for 180, and I picked up a 2nd 750gb SATA drive for my PC to dedicate to audio data and for backups of files from my other pc my wife uses for photography. My plan is to eventually use the M-Audio on my netbook to do playback of extra keyboard tracks in a live setting, and use it along with my existing audio card on my studio pc. This weekend we are going to try it out and record the band live into my guitar players laptop with Sonar and see how it goes.

• Members
:cry:

You need to understand my personal situation for that - both my own temperament, personality, and physiology (panic attacks and anxiety disorder), and the fact that we ended up with a very challenging bunch of kids. My wife and I are both very mellow, quiet people and were so-called "easy" kids in our families and it has been a very difficult struggle for us up to this point. If I could go back and time and tell myself to not have kids, I would do it, but that does not mean that I don't love my children or give them oodles of love, time, energy, and stuff.

• Members

I made the decision, literally when I was still a kid myself, not to have any kids when I grow up. And 30+ years later, I still consider it the smartest decision I ever made, and ever will make.

Happily married and kidless. Nothing better, until you add cats to the mix. And synths. ;)

• Members
tyros3.jpg

Keyboard Magazine has asked me to do a full review of the flagship Yamaha Tyros 3. I've had it a week so far and it's been a great ride. This Sunday I have a major sing-along gig that I've been preparing both the keyboard and myself for... no easy task. The Tyros 3 is the kind of performance instument that requires the performer to adapt in many ways to get the most out of it - but are the rewards worth the effort and the street price of $4599? :eek: We shall see.:thu:

• Members

You need to understand my personal situation for that - both my own temperament, personality, and physiology (panic attacks and anxiety disorder), and the fact that we ended up with a very challenging bunch of kids. My wife and I are both very mellow, quiet people and were so-called "easy" kids in our families and it has been a very difficult struggle for us up to this point. If I could go back and time and tell myself to not have kids, I would do it, but that does not mean that I don't love my children or give them oodles of love, time, energy, and stuff.

if it's any consolation, I can understand. I think it's better to stay positive though even when you feel like you're always at a 180 angle to what ever life throws at you. everybody has their own burden to bare.

• Members
I made the decision, literally when I was still a kid myself, not to have any kids when I grow up. And 30+ years later, I still consider it the smartest decision I ever made, and ever will make.

Happily married and kidless. Nothing better, until you add cats to the mix. And synths.
;)

that's cool with me unless you join one of them online groups and become a breeder basher.. :cop: then it's ohhhhn :mad:

• Members

Yesterday I found me a 1986 Japanese Fender Stratocaster for 150 dollars. It's a 1972 reissue with the big headstock. It was very dirty and needed a bit of work when I got it - the input jack didn't even work, but all the fixes were very easy. The pickups are crap (I already replaced the bridge with a DiMarzio). Plus it used to belong to a guy who apparently smoked a LOT - this thing has the yellowest pickup covers I've ever seen and looks just awesomely road worn. The body itself has all sorts of tones of yellow. Plus I made a couple more nicks in the right places and now it just looks totally, totally vintage and the yellow color matches real well with my Telecaster.

I bought this with the intention of re-selling it, as it's worth over 500 dollars easily now that I fixer her up. But it's so awesome I'll have to really convince myself... best Fender Strat neck evah.

I wish I could take pictures but my wife took our camera with her to Brazil...

• Members
I'll have an iPod Touch, and this in the next few days for port-a-composing:

technobox_screenshot_2.png

Hmm, never heard of that before. It looks interesting but gets only mediocre reviews - well it is only 5 bucks. You might also want to look at bleep!box and beatmaker. I like the synth capabilities of bleep!box.

• Members

Hmm, never heard of that before. It looks interesting but gets only mediocre reviews - well it is only 5 bucks. You might also want to look at
bleep!box
and beatmaker. I like the synth capabilities of bleep!box.

It probably gets mediocre reviews because it's a 303, an 808, and a 909 emulation. (limits the audience somewhat I think) However, acid on the go is exactly what I'm looking for, and the audio demos sound just fine to me. Aside from that, I use their ABL and ADM products, which I regard as the foremost emulations of said devices. The next step up would be hardware clones. (which, while fun, aren't really worth the price to me)

I also plan to grab Jasuto, as I'm also into modular synthesis. (analog hardware mostly, but port-a-modular sounds like fun)

I'll definitely check out bleep!box and beatmaker too. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: bleep!box just made my list of apps. Thanks! Sounds great, for when I'm not in the acid-on-the-go mood. :)

Archived