Guitarist with the hardest style to cop....

AgentOrange

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan. Not only do they have mad chops, but they have such specific "tricks" and feel to them, a very similar seat-of-your-pants raunchiness to some stuff, and a very polished swing to other stuff, that it is just impossible, although I try like hell - those two are why I own four teles.

Danny Gatton's version of "In My Room" and Roy Buchanan's "The Messiah Will COme Again" are two of my benchmarks of feel.

Jeff Beck also comes to mind. I have tried to cop some of that liquid laser feel of his, and failed miserably. His bending and trem bar stuff with those little filigrees he plays are just mindbending.

• Members

Originally posted by tele_jas

I'll go the other end of the spectrum here.....

* Brad Paisley

or

* Brent Mason

I've come to find I can nail down rock players, or at least emulate them enough to have people who I'm copying (such as EVH, SRV, ect...) But I just cant figure out this country stuff?!?!?

+1

You can add Scotty Anderson, Tony Rice and Chet Atkins to that list.

• Members

Tuck Andress (Tuck and Patti) is the greatest guitarist I've ever seen. Just one guy playing a clean-toned archtop behind an incredible old-school R and B/jazz singer. From the first tune, you just don't notice that there is no drums and bass to go with the guitar. He's playing ALL the parts. Incredible musician.

I'll throw Paco de Lucia, Martin Taylor and Tommy Emmanuel in there because of the incredible right hands they have. Hell, de Lucia can match McLaughlin and DiMeola note-for-note without even using a pick. That's pretty hard to cop, I'd say.

• Members

Originally posted by kirkened

How bout dimebag? All that crazy ass whammy {censored}, like for example, at the beginning of "Revolution is my Name".

How in the hell did he do that?

Pinch Harmonics, double tracked.

• Members

Omar Rodriguez. Everything he plays has this rude, thick, .014 gauge strings sound to it, and he uses some utterly {censored}ed up chord voicings. That and the mathy, jagged playing style - I don't know how ANYONE could play like that.

Archived