Blackmore or Powerball

Lucius

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by indespise

I'll remember that next time my tone stomps the other guitsrist in my band's JCM.

ENGLs sound good by themselves, sure. Stick one of the Powerball variants in a band mix and it's...

....:confused: .......Is there even a guitar there???:confused: .......

It's cool though. I'm sure you, and everyone else likes not hearing you.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

It's MYK, he's a troll. No worries.

A troll because I'm telling it how it is?:confused:

You seem to have no problem going around, spreading misinformation to everyone else on here.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

Yeah, and you, a bedroom wanker, would CLEARLY know everything about playing in a band setting.

Lucius, I'm giving this info to you as a friend, and not just some biased fanboy like those here disagreeing with my truths.

Best wishes,

-Myk

Nothing wrong with being a "bedroom wanker" (I'm a basement wanker). I believe the topic was helping to decide whether or not to buy a Powerball or a Blackmore. Not which amp cuts through the mix better.

Personally I like the Blackmore better than the Powerball, but I've never played either in a band setting. But I have heard all types of Engl amps cut through live just fine. But I have read on this forum many times that Engls do not cut through live. Why is that?? I'm just curious...

:)

• Members

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to play this card again...

I'd like to hear a Blackmore do
THIS

;)

Yeah, that basically doesn't cut that well. I don't know if the mixer is just kind of...stupid, but you can hear the drums way over the guitars.

But cool song tho. :thu:

• Members

I've never played the Blackmore so i can't comment on it,but I have owned the Powerball and I have yet to play a better amp for deathmetal and I have had ZERO problems cutting it in a band mix.You just have to dial it in right,if you still can't get it right for christ sakes throw an eq through the loop.I've played with another guitarist that had a Marshall TSL and still hung with him.I currently own the Savage and I miss my Powerball not to say the Savage can't hang with the Powerball the PB has more bottom end to it. I'd just try out both amps in person then decide whats best for you.:thu:

• Members

ENGLs sound good by themselves, sure. Stick one of the Powerball variants in a band mix and it's...

:confused:
.......Is there even a guitar there???
:confused:

It's cool though. I'm sure you, and everyone else likes not hearing you.
:D

bm5MYK.jpg

• Members

It's basically the same thing as the Powerball. It's really nothing like the Blackmore.

It's not in between the two. If anything, it's like a stripped down Powerball, with a bit more grit or grind to it. The PB and FB have a more modern super high gain sound than the Blackmore.

You are both wrong as the FB is def. not a stripped down PB because it existed WAY before the PB. Secondly, from a schematic standpoint, it

• Members

It's a stripped down Powerball with even LESS power. So you have even MORE of a problem actually cutting through than before. If you have one of those in a band setting then you might as well not be plugged in at all.

Nice trolling Pocahontas!!!

• Members

Originally posted by tnourse

Personally I like the Blackmore better than the Powerball, but I've never played either in a band setting. But I have heard all types of Engl amps cut through live just fine. But I have read on this forum many times that Engls do not cut through live. Why is that?? I'm just curious...

:)

Some people have problems cutting thru with their Powerball, something that was looked at in the V2 of the PB. I have never had problems cutting thru with my Engl amps and I have played almost all in a band.

• Members

i can only speak from MY expierence, and MY expierence with the powerball, is that i got completely walked over in a band situation, especially live. No amount of good PA work could get that thing to sound in your face, and defined, or to sound like anything but total high end and bass. on its own? {censored}ing awesome, i was in heaven, but it wasn't working in the band situation. I've spent the time with the blackmore, and i love that amp more than any engl ive played, and I feel it would sit in the mix much better. YMMV

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

i can only speak from MY expierence, and MY expierence with the powerball, is that i got completely walked over in a band situation, especially live. No amount of good PA work could get that thing to sound in your face, and defined, or to sound like anything but total high end and bass. on its own? {censored}ing awesome, i was in heaven, but it wasn't working in the band situation. I've spent the time with the blackmore, and i love that amp more than any engl ive played, and I feel it would sit in the mix much better. YMMV

Chris

Great, this guy must really be -=MYK=- using an alternate moniker. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Once I sell my MarkIV I think one of these is on my hit list. Looking for a tight high gain head that has good lead tones, oh ya and blow jobs daily would be great. Cheers Lucius

I've owned both a blackmore and a powerball.

The powerball is better for tight high gain tones.

Get a powerball.

• Members

Had to have been something wrong with your amp man. Here is a clip of mine with the gain on 7...

the riff is wrong...carcass also used a 5150 to record with back then. they also used those slx heads. the blackmore is not that heavy. powerball will kill that. so will the se and savage.

• Members

Originally posted by noirjp

the riff is wrong...carcass also used a 5150 to record with back then. they also used those slx heads. the blackmore is not that heavy. powerball will kill that. so will the se and savage.

I've owned a Blackmore and a Powerball, and I have a 5150. The Blackmore owns the Powerball.

• Members

Originally posted by DannyM

I've owned both a blackmore and a powerball.

The powerball is better for tight high gain tones.

Get a powerball.

Is it because you are selling a powerball ;)

jk :D

• Members

Stop beating the darn dead horse. It has already been established that with the right combination of amp/cab, ALL ENGL's cut through the mix.

If anything, my Powerball it too dominant in my band mix. I've had to turn the volume way down and switched to open mode.

Archived