my other guitarists markIV sounds better than mine, tube issue?

guitarist17

• Members

Could my tubes be going? im using almost the exact same settings and his seems to sound alot better than mine. Hes using SED 6l6GC's, and the tung sol 12ax7's(brand new). I have mesa tubes all around. His seems to be alot louder to. now usually, when i think of power tube issues, i think of a HUGE loss of volume, and muddy crappy tone. the tone seems to be muddier, but isnt much quieter, his head his louder for sure, but its not a huge difference. what could be the problem? the amp doesnt make alot of crackles, or random noises. thanks.

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

nope, his cabs are alot worse. hes using a peavey ms cab. ive heard his through mine and it still sounds alot better.

chris

You mean his amp through your cab? Or your amp through his cab? Cheers Lucius

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

side by side

Which one was on the left side? Its proven the 9/10 listeners prefer the left side over the right side. Alright, I got nothing. Good luck. Cheers Lucius

• Members

More then likely the tubes. Since you have both amps in the same room, set up the amps up with exact settings and listen to his amp, unplug it and then plug your amp into his cab/s with the same setting. If you hear a huge difference it is more then likely the tubes. next step is to ask him if you can take his tubes out and put it in your amp(both pre and power). if that fixes the problem you are done. If not... His amp just sounds better. I'm not kidding.. this could happen even with the Mark series amps.

Now make sure you have the same setting. A friend of mine was told me that he set up his amp exactly like mine and he didnt. he had his on class "A" full power and mine was pentode half power. makes a difference.

best of luck.

• Members

what you are describing is the beginnings of tube failure.

The other thing to keep in mind. There are two different versions of the Mark IV. The older version (90-93) and the newer version(93-current). The newer version has more balls. The easiest way to tell is to look on the back of the amp. If you have the "Satalite" send, then it's the newer version. If you have two sets of FX loop send and returns than it is the older version. On the older versions you had to tell the amp wich set of Send/Return connections you were going to use. Now it's a send and a set of stereo returns.

• Members
Originally posted by gainfreak

A friend of mine was told me that he set up his amp exactly like mine and he didnt. he had his on class "A" full power and mine was pentode half power. makes a difference.

best of luck.

Is it even possible to have class "A" full power? I thought that by having the switch set to class A in the back, it dropped the 2 outer power tubes to half power. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

Is it even possible to have class "A" full power? I thought that by having the switch set to class A in the back, it dropped the 2 outer power tubes to half power.
:)

Full power verses Tweed. And yes, even if you drop the two tubes you can run the full power to them. If you run it in tweed, it cuts the voltage and wattage down some more. Make sense?

• Members
Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

Is it even possible to have class "A" full power? I thought that by having the switch set to class A in the back, it dropped the 2 outer power tubes to half power.
:)

yes! I think SFW beat me to this !

Archived