- - - JJ KT77 tubes, liking them so far - - -

JamesPeters

• Members

I think everything I wanted in a 6CA7, the JJ KT77 has.

-Good low end that's focused but not overly tight. (6550s can sound a bit overly tight in the lows for instance, and EL34BSTR have lots of low end but it's not as focused.)

-Clarity and articulation without sacrificing midrange fullness. (JJ EL34 and E34L have thick mids but less clarity/articulation, and SED EL34 have good clarity/articulation but less mid fullness.)

-Less upper mid "grind" (which some hear as "sizzle" etc.) than some other EL34 types.

-Strong output, as good as the best-testing SED EL34s I had if not a hint more. (But they also don't sound weird at low volumes either.)

My general opinion is that these are to some EL34 what the JJ 6V6 are to lots of other 6V6.

If these tubes prove to be reliable and consistent, I'll probably write JJ a letter of thanks. This is a very good tube...in my opinion of course.

• Members

Yep, the lesser grind you're referring to is what I like most in those. In that aspect they're kind of a good middle ground between EL34's and 6L6 I feel.

I had to mess around a bit with my pre-amp tubes to tame that big "cloud" of bass that came with them.

Giga.

• Members

We shall see.

I'm holdin' out and saving back for a VHT 2-50-2. I'd like to run EL34's in one side, and KT77's in the other.

Should a KT77 bias like an EL34?

I'm hoping the KT77's will give me more low mid growl and more headroom than an EL34. Somewhere in between a KT88 and an EL34.

Good review.

• Members

Originally posted by 64DUECE

We shall see.

I'm holdin' out and saving back for a VHT 2-50-2. I'd like to run EL34's in one side, and KT77's in the other.

I'm hoping the KT77's will give me more low mid growl and more headroom than an EL34. Somewhere in between a KT88 and an EL34.

Good review.

I retubed my VHT 2502 with the KT77s and I dont think I'll be going to EL34s at all.

James gave a perfect description of what the KT77s sound like.

They definitly have more headroom than EL34s.

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

I retubed my VHT 2502 with the KT77s and I dont think I'll be going to EL34s at all.

James gave a perfect description of what the KT77s sound like.

They definitly have more headroom than EL34s.

Cheers

Do you have any clips?

I heard a clip of the MP-1 / 2502 w/EL34's. I'd love to hear the VHT w/ the new tubes.

• Members

Yes indeedly doodly. :) I biased this set and it ended up at ~32mA plate current for each tube (plate voltage around 450VDC, class AB).

Originally posted by Giga

In that aspect they're kind of a good middle ground between EL34's and 6L6 I feel.

Which is essentially what I expect from 6CA7s.

Originally posted by Giga

I had to mess around a bit with my pre-amp tubes to tame that big "cloud" of bass that came with them.

Hmm...I didn't hear a cloud of bass, but they do have good solid bass. I think KT88s tend to sound more like they have a cloud of bass than these. Then again if they were biased too hot, that might make the bass indistinct...

• Members

Do you have any clips?

I heard a clip of the MP-1 / 2502 w/EL34's. I'd love to hear the VHT w/ the new tubes.

Hey man,

No sorry.. Nothing yet. I just recieved my VHT slant 412 fatbottom cabinet, so I am just waiting to break them in a little more and then I'll be doing some recording.

I'll let you know when I get something put together.

Cheers

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I was thinking about the killer VHT power amp 2/50. I used to have the BIG sucker 4U 5105 or whatever it was called. It was nice. I was just reading about Alexi for Children of Bodom "the new Randy Rhodes" Lynch says. He feeds his Marshal style preamp, a Lee Jackson unit into a VHT poweramp but if a guy has a Marshall amp and he put in a pair KT77/88s then you sort of get a mono equivalent right? But if you want stereo...hmmm...a power monitor mixer for the Right-side effects which doubles blending your monitor feed- not tube though.

I'm also trying to decide if I should get KT88s but arrived here via searching for "KT77 review". I love BIG solid bass - not flab though and a 50 watter could use a bit more maximized wattage.

Yep, life is good (thank you Lord).

• Members

When experimenting with power tubes is there as much of a difference at bedroom volume as there is at practice volume? i realise headroom isn't really applicable at bedroom levels unless you have an attenuator. I have an orange with EL34s that i know can take KT77s and im thinking of getting a pair of KT77s when i replace the tubes but i dont have a band so i only ever play at home. will a different tube make much of a difference?

• Members

-Good low end that's focused but not overly tight. (6550s can sound a bit overly tight in the lows for instance, and EL34BSTR have lots of low end but it's not as focused.)

-Clarity and articulation without sacrificing midrange fullness. (JJ EL34 and E34L have thick mids but less clarity/articulation, and SED EL34 have good clarity/articulation but less mid fullness.)

-Less upper mid "grind" (which some hear as "sizzle" etc.) than some other EL34 types.

-Strong output, as good as the best-testing SED EL34s I had if not a hint more. (But they also don't sound weird at low volumes either.)

My general opinion is that these are to some EL34 what the JJ 6V6 are to lots of other 6V6.

If these tubes prove to be reliable and consistent, I'll probably write JJ a letter of thanks. This is a very good tube...in my opinion of course.

Yep, it's one of my favorite t0obs :cop:

• Members

Nice review James. I'm debating on what to get for my BadCat Hot Cat 30R next and the two brands I've narrowed it down to are SED EL34's or the JJ KT77's. I currently have Ruby EL34BSTR in her, and while I like them for the most part I do agree with your assessment that they have lots of low end but are not focused. I want a focused low end but more midrange complexity and a clear articulate top end. "Less upper mid grind",...do you think that's a good thing?

• Members

I personally really like the KT77s. I first tried them in my DSL100 when I still had it. At first I was really turned off by them, I think it was because I was used to the EL34 sound. After a few weeks of trying to like them I switched back to the SED EL34 tubes. I played them for a few months and really like the articulation of the tube, except the low end. So I decided to try the KT77s again. To my amazement, I REALLY enjoyed the sound. The bass is much more focused, the top end not is not too bright, and the mids still had enough growl. Though the mids are tamed a little bit more than the EL34. I actually began loving how the amp responded with these tubes, they have great dynamics. When I sold my DSL, the KT77s went with it. I shouldn't have included them, because now I just ordered a set for my Vendetta. I am very eager to try these in this amp, since it can really deliver the low frequency.

+1 Great tube IMO

Cole

• Members

I have tried the KT77 in a couple of different amps, and while they do sound good, I always come back to the Ruby EL34 B-STR. The KT77 just doesn't have enough midrange complexity going on for my taste. If I played metal, I might like the KT77 better. As a rock guy, the Ruby is hard to beat.

• Members

When experimenting with power tubes is there as much of a difference at bedroom volume as there is at practice volume? i realise headroom isn't really applicable at bedroom levels unless you have an attenuator. I have an orange with EL34s that i know can take KT77s and im thinking of getting a pair of KT77s when i replace the tubes but i dont have a band so i only ever play at home. will a different tube make much of a difference?

Which Orange? Mine's a Rockerverb 100, but on the back it says it'll go with EL34, 6L6, KT88, or 6550.

Will any amp that works with EL34s take KT77s?

• Members

Which Orange? Mine's a Rockerverb 100, but on the back it says it'll go with EL34, 6L6, KT
, or 6550.

The KT77 is a replacement for EL34, just like a 6CA7 tube. I have a Vendetta that can use multiple types of power tubes as well. I've tried the KT88s in my amp and wasn't fond of the them. There is something about the mid growl of an EL34 that I just prefer. The KT77 is kind of the best of both worlds for me, great low end, but still has enough punch and mid growl. I really like these tubes for playing cleans and hard rock.

Cole

• Members

I have tried the KT77 in a couple of different amps, and while they do sound good, I always come back to the Ruby EL34 B-STR. The KT77 just doesn't have enough midrange complexity going on for my taste. If I played metal, I might like the KT77 better. As a rock guy, the Ruby is hard to beat.

That is what I have in my amp now and I agree these are great tubes, so I know that if I don't like the way my amp responds to KT77s I will have a great set of tubes to run in it anyway. I wish I could find an EL34 that is a mix between the SED EL34 and the Ruby EL34BSTR.

Cole

• Members

The KT77 is a replacement for EL34, just like a 6CA7 tube. I have a Vendetta that can use multiple types of power tubes as well. I've tried the KT88s in my amp and wasn't fond of the them. There is something about the mid growl of an EL34 that I just prefer. The KT77 is kind of the best of both worlds for me, great low end, but still has enough punch and mid growl. I really like these tubes for playing cleans and hard rock.

Cole

Thanks. Well, like James said this seems to be what I was looking for in a 6ca7. I wanted to replace my EH but there doesn't seem to be many currently produced 6ca7's out: Electro-Harmonix, Ei (i can only find them sold in singles), and GT General Electric reissue (temporarily out of production). But if this tube does all James is saying, I'm all about it.

Any other noteworthy KT77s?

• Members

Thanks. Well, like James said this seems to be what I was looking for in a 6ca7. I wanted to replace my EH but there doesn't seem to be many currently produced 6ca7's out: Electro-Harmonix, Ei (i can only find them sold in singles), and GT General Electric reissue (temporarily out of production). But if this tube does all James is saying, I'm all about it.

Any other noteworthy KT77s?

I've only been able to find the JJ KT-77 tubes and the Groove Tubes KT-77, which is probably a relabeled JJ...

Maybe somebody else knows something but I've had exactly zero luck.

:mad:

• Members

I put the KT77's in my Matchless Clubman, Phil at Matchless said you shouldn't do it but Bob Pleka said it would be fine. I think the early KT77's had a problem with too much current. ANyway, I put some in the Clubman and it sounds great, I also received some SED's and I prefer the KT77's. The 6L6 qualities of the KT77 really seem to work well with the Clubman.

• Members

Which Orange? Mine's a Rockerverb 100, but on the back it says it'll go with EL34, 6L6, KT88, or 6550.

Mine is the rocker 30 combo which is supposed to be Class A and self biasing. i emailed Orange's customer information people asking if it would take KT77s and they said "Oh yes!" so i'm guessing it might sound pretty good?

Archived