- - - JJ KT77 tubes, liking them so far - - -

JamesPeters

• Members

So lets end the hype.

post clips of the same amp with kt77's ----then El34. then el 34L . etc...

i know you can do this james.....
:thu:

if not--im going to do this soon to end the power tube " mysteries" .

;)

Tell you what--knock yourself out. :)

I stopped using JJ KT77 in my amps a while ago because they were too polarizing for most of my customers. If they expected the sound of a classic EL34, they were disappointed. If they expected the sound of a 6L6, they were disappointed. It was only those with an open mind about it who appreciated the JJ KT77 and learned why they were good for what they were.

I still like the JJ KT77. I just don't want to mess around and lose the "first impression" battle because the tubes are "too middle-ground" for most people's tastes.

• Members

That's up to you.
:)
At the time I posted this thread, they were brand-spanking new. By now you should've gotten off your lazy ass and tried them yourself.
:D

Tell you what--knock yourself out.
:)

I stopped using JJ KT77 in my amps a while ago because they were too polarizing for most of my customers. If they expected the sound of a classic EL34, they were disappointed. If they expected the sound of a 6L6, they were disappointed. It was only those with an open mind about it who appreciated the JJ KT77 and learned why they were good for what they were.

I still like the JJ KT77. I just don't want to mess around and lose the "first impression" battle because the tubes are "too middle-ground" for most people's tastes.

Do you happen to know of anyone else who currently makes a KT-77, other than JJ??

• Members

Thanks. Well, like James said this seems to be what I was looking for in a 6ca7. I wanted to replace my EH but there doesn't seem to be many currently produced 6ca7's out: Electro-Harmonix, Ei (i can only find them sold in singles), and GT General Electric reissue (temporarily out of production). But if this tube does all James is saying, I'm all about it.

Any other noteworthy KT77s?

Hey mate -

If you decide to go down the KT77 road, I'd be very interested to hear your impressions...FWIW, they are meant to kick serious arse in Rocker 30's as per the Orange Forum....

Cheers:thu:

• Members

I've got KT-77's in my JSX head and I think this amp should ship with them.

To my ears anyway they take the best of What El34's have to offer and the Best of what 6L6's have to offer and meet somewhere halfway.

With KT-77's in the JSX there is no upper mid spike and the bottom end is a

bit fuller.

I'm going to order another set and try them in my Rectoverb head, as I have El34's in it right now and I really like them, but I also like 6l6's in there so the KT-77's should make me a happy camper. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Man I was really enjoying the 77s for a while and then I put 6L6s back in there and they stayed :-/

Latest bug up my arse is KT-88s though..they seem to be everything I wanted the KT-77 to be :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I suspect that if you had indiv. bias or the tubes drew roughly the same current, mixing a '77 with an 6L6, 5881, or a high biasing Groove Tube-like el34 might really deliver a rich output.

A well running and perfectly toned amp seems to be a rare thing, if you know what I mean.

• Members

I currently have Ruby EL34BSTR in her, and while I like them for the most part I do agree with your assessment that they have lots of low end but are not focused. I want a focused low end but more midrange complexity and a clear articulate top end. "Less upper mid grind",...do you think that's a good thing?

In my Cobra I've liked the EL34B-STR's a lot more than the KT77's. Sure the KT77's have more low end and more headroom, but they somehow sounded flat and lifeless compared to the B-STR's.

• Members

In my Cobra I've liked the EL34B-STR's a lot more than the KT77's. Sure the KT77's have more low end and more headroom, but they somehow sounded flat and lifeless compared to the B-STR's.

I was thinkin about tryin 77's in the Cobra but thats what I'm worried about.

What was lifeless about them?

• Members

I was thinkin about tryin 77's in the Cobra but thats what I'm worried about.

What was lifeless about them?

Hard to say exactly, but the B-STR's sound more "colorful" when the KT77's sound "grey" if that makes any sense. Like there's more depth to the tone when the KT77's are a bit one-dimensional.

Let's say KT77 is an image of something and the B-STR is a hologram of the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

good opinions in here! I just ordered some KT77's for my RoV combo I am picking up this weekend. Can't wait to hear what they sound like!

let me know what you think.

I have JJ el34's in my rectoverb know (Kt-77's in my JSX)

In the JSX I love em, so i'd be interested to see what you think of them in a Rectoverb.

• Members

I like the KT77's. They sound great in some amps but not all. I'm really digging them in my XTC.

FYI they are also a drop in replacement for 6L6 tubes since pin 1 doesn't have to be connected to pin 8 for it to operate. The impedance matches up with a 6L6 transformer. This can really help to make some sterile "american" amps get a good british crunch without a serious financial investment.

-W

Archived