Building your own Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ (please help)

petejt

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

Are you crazy? I saw a Mk III opened up and it was just incredible the work they put into those amps. It is a project beyond most on this forum.
:freak::p

it might look difficult, but tube amps are far from rocket science to be honest, the technical part is pretty straightforward as long as you keep looking it in a systematical way. The more difficult thing is the 'tone' part, since tone is very subjective and can't be put into formulas like rocket science can.

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

pete's in kiwi land and it's harder for them to get the cool stuff
:D

mJ

I don't live in New Zealand!

a bit west, 'ey!

Yeah, Boogie gear IS very expensive. $7495 for a ROAD KING!!! :eek:

Even the Rect-O-Verbs go for a whopping $3500!!!!!!! :(:mad:

Now (thanks to the help), I have worked out how to read how the circuit segments fit together. I'm going to omit the reverb section, as I just want reverb on the other amp which is already built in (I am really keen on the Switchblade by H&K).

I would like to get a Studio preamp and mod it, but somehow its diagram (well last time I looked) seem a little more difficult than the proper IIC+ preamp diagram. In some ways it seems better to make the whole thing from scratch. Plus, I want to make it so the lead circuit is engaged all the time, as I will use a volume pedal to lower the gain for dirty-cleans in real-time, and use the other amp for proper clean sounds.

I'll have another read- woh alot's been posted here since last time I was here. thanks for the responses.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

I think there's plenty of people here who could throw one of these preamps together.

there's some really good builders on this forum man!

but you do make a point that it's NOT something to be attempted by someone for their FIRST project? Not a good way to try and save a buck...

buy a MKIIB or C or III or IV !!! It's gunna be close enough mang! A used QUAD preamp might be the way to go if you want a MK sounding preamp.

well, technically it's not my first amp-building project.

I have built a solid-state amp, for a doorbell.....:(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

hi folks, I'm still crazy on building my own amp. I've learnt alot more now and can read the diagram, problem is that it is a bit blurry and hard to read some of the component values.

What transformer will I need so it will work with 240Volts AC?

Oh, also I don't want to build the reverb circuit, as I will be using another amp alongside that has its own reverb.

I want to build the preamp with one input and two outputs (stereo).

anyone who has built this preamp, the actual IIC+, have a proper correct clearly drawn diagram? if so, please post it, thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

pics or it didnt happen mang.

It didn't happen.

I got a MarkIV instead, and it has well impressed me, so much that I have no desire for a MarkIIC+ preamp now, as I have one already plus a whole lot more :cool:

• Members

I've built the preamp and it doesn't sound like MK IIC+ without MK IIC+'s power amp. Which you can't build because you don't have the output transformer.

I have filled in questionable parts in the schematic with values from MK IV and MK III schematic, and tweaked it afterwards as well.

• Members

It didn't happen.

I got a MarkIV instead, and it has well impressed me, so much that I have no desire for a MarkIIC+ preamp now, as I have one already plus a whole lot more
:cool:

As much as I love my Mark IV, I have to disagree with you that a IV is the same as a IIC+, but with more features. IMO the only thing on earth that makes a better sound than the MKIV lead channel is the Mark IIC+ lead. It's like the MKIV lead channel, but the difference is is the low notes. Up high, you would have a hard time telling the difference. When you go down to the lower notes on a Mark IIC+, it opens into this insanely aggressive growl that sounds SO DAMN GOOD. On the downside, the IIc+ is far more expensive and far less versatile, so I'll take the Mark IV any day.

• Members

As much as I love my Mark IV, I have to disagree with you that a IV is the same as a IIC+, but with more features. IMO the only thing on earth that makes a better sound than the MKIV lead channel is the Mark IIC+ lead. It's like the MKIV lead channel, but the difference is is the low notes. Up high, you would have a hard time telling the difference. When you go down to the lower notes on a Mark IIC+, it opens into this insanely aggressive growl that sounds SO DAMN GOOD. On the downside, the IIc+ is far more expensive and far less versatile, so I'll take the Mark IV any day.

That's exactly why I've "come a long way", as I no longer care to build a MarkIIC+ preamp.

What I meant was, is that the preamp of the MarkIV is the same as the MarkIIC+. But, as you mentioned, the MarkIV has the extra features. So I was wrong in not being too clear about it.

Yep, that insanely aggressive growl is exactly why the MarkIIC+ is so coveted, me included. But I reckon I can make my MarkIV very similar to that, in fact I reckon I may already have.

It helps though to use another amp alongside it though.

I was just checking out your clips on netmusicians- they sound excellent! :cool:

Archived