Building your own Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ (please help)

petejt

• Members

Hi. I am considering on building my own MarkIIC+ preamp. This will run into some Mesa/Boogie poweramp, running at the same time as another amp (still deciding on what, right now possible candidates are H&K Switchblade, Marshall DSL).

I'd like to build me own so I don't have to spend money on getting one modded to the C+ version, stuffing around with shipping etc. Plus it would be interesting. I know a little about electronics.

Is there anyone here that is familiar with building preamps from scratch? And could help me out with understanding the schematics and stuff?

Here is the schematic of the Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ preamp circuit.

mk2c2.gif

I am having some trouble working out where the lead circuit segment fits into the main circuit. Also I think there is some missing stuff (transformers), so if you know about that please point it out.

If anyone has any advice on this particular amplifier, the components, how to read the schematic properly, and building it, please reply. :wave:

Thanks,

Pete.

• Members

if you're having trouble figuring out where the lead circuit goes from that schematic, hand everything over to a friend who can walk you through it.

top portion of schematic, near the middle, has the LEAD secton but it would get cramped if they drew it there so it's drawn separately.

also, there's no output transformers because this is only the PREAMP portion of the circuit, no power amp.

• Members

Originally posted by BluePowder7

if you're having trouble figuring out where the lead circuit goes from that schematic, hand everything over to a friend who can walk you through it.

top portion of schematic, near the middle, has the LEAD secton but it would get cramped if they drew it there so it's drawn separately.

also, there's no output transformers because this is only the PREAMP portion of the circuit, no power amp.

And the OT is what gave the Mark 2C+ it's "unique" cough cough, sound...

• Members

Buy a Mesa Studio Preamp. Run it through any type simulclass mesa poweramp and you will have a sound that is so similar to a MarkIIC+ that it will knock your socks off... But another plus to

that is it will have an even SWEETER lead sound... IMHO.

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by noseminer

didnt blarg do this IIRC and filled in part of it with a mark IV?

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's accurate to the real thing, but it sounds nice. I've never played the real IIC+, but it does have the Mark series vibe to it. Might as well get a studio preamp though, it's almost the same circuit.

• Members

I wouldn't even try to mod a III... just get a studio preamp. Mesa Boogie schematics are notorious for being inaccurate, and if you need help figuring out a schematic, you're likely going to be in hell trying to build one. Mesa amps are tempermental from the factory as far as oscillations and feedback, someone poking around in one with no real idea of what's going on is just asking for trouble.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

I also say get a Studio Preamp, and either love it, or have it modded closer to IIC+ specs. The stock Studio Preamp is based off of the IIC I think.

Studio preamp is based off a studio .22 boogie. Mesa created it because guys were using .22's in the studio and they were too noisy.

Pete

• Members

Its not the build time thats gonna kick your ass, its the debugging. Its friggen hard to build something that has gain and dosent hiss the first time.

And I agree, if your having trouble reading the schematic, then good luck to you building it. I would take a few steps at a time and maybe build a small amp or preamp and then step up.

-nic

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Ive heard both.

I heard it in a review of the studio preamp from Guitar Player, they contacted Randall Smith and he mentioned the .22 connection. It was a GP that has metallica on the cover - I have it around here somewhere. It's a good review of the studio preamp - the guy who reviewed it worked at a music store I frequented, and I found out he used to be in a band with my keyboard player. Small world!

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

Are you crazy? I saw a Mk III opened up and it was just incredible the work they put into those amps. It is a project beyond most on this forum.
:freak::p

Well, if you only made 1 channel it wouldnt be as bad. Remember the Mark III is 3 channels, and you wouldnt do all that.

Also, you cant really build the graphic EQ, most DIY just use an EQ pedal after it.

So those cut it down quite a bit. BUT, still quite a project to take on...

• Members

I think there's plenty of people here who could throw one of these preamps together.

there's some really good builders on this forum man!

but you do make a point that it's NOT something to be attempted by someone for their FIRST project? Not a good way to try and save a buck...

buy a MKIIB or C or III or IV !!! It's gunna be close enough mang! A used QUAD preamp might be the way to go if you want a MK sounding preamp.

Originally posted by thefyn

Are you crazy? I saw a Mk III opened up and it was just incredible the work they put into those amps. It is a project beyond most on this forum.
:freak::p

Archived