What has happened to the US ??

favata5

• Members
Originally posted by charliedango

No, it shouldn't be dismissed based on it's origin, but if it's counterproductive to the advancement of our modern society and an attempt to keep us from expanding our cultural horizons as a nation, then it should be dismissed.

A person who interprets the Bible as irrefutable law and will not budge on that concept should be ignored because their steadfast dedication to their faith makes it impossible for them to change. A person who is more faith-concious, but flexible on the terms of Biblical law will most likely present a more level-headed debate and is more willing to concede to ideas that make sense as opposed to hardliners who feel it should be God's way or the highway.

According to the Bible, God gave us free will to do with the world and our lives as we felt. If God was truly that adamant about keeping us in-line, he certainly wouldn't have given us free will.

Right.

If by we you're referring to agnostics/athiests and people of faith, then I suppose so. No peace can ever be found in limiting civil liberties and human rights though. People unwilling to expand their minds to accept new ways, cultures and ideas are the people who prevent peace from occuring. It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not, if you cannot accept change, then you will fight for your right to stay stubborn and ignorant.

Well said. Nobody here is writing something off something just because it's in the Bible, the issue here is people declaring standards according to their Bible that they see as infallible truth.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by guitar shmoe

Well, if you don't believe in God, and Christianity has failed....who do YOU trust? What is your 'standard' for life choices? and, if we live in 'modern' times and society has 'evolved', then, how come things aren't better? How would YOU 'fix' society? (answer in order please)

You don't have to have a God to trust. This is completely irrelevant.

You don't have to have a standard in accordance with an old book. We have the ability to learn from our own experience.

Things are as they are because people refuse to learn, they limit their own understanding with dogmatic beliefs. When people choose to stay in the dark, greedy people who are a bit more intelligent take the reigns, and do whatever they want to the general public.

There is no simple solution to "fix" society. People need to seek new understanding and insight, new knowledge, the ability to see things in different light(s), to realize that we are all manifestations of the same reality at the core. When people belive they have all the answers in their religion (the Bible and Christianity, in this case), they stop seeking new knowledge. Mass-scale dogma (of various forms, not just Christianity) needs to be crushed before society can advance freely. "My way is the only way" needs to be smashed, individuals will follow their own path to enlightenment.

• Members

For people that 'claim' to be Christian the divorce rate is: 54%.....

For those that believe that the Bible is God's inerrant Word and absolutely true, the divorce rate is:

maybe there's something to that Bible
:rolleyes:

And how do you define those who belive the bible is infallible truth? A particular denomination, maybe? The Amish, perhaps?

• Members

I guess I'm just not understanding your position or worldview on social issues?...you seem to 'borrow' terms from the Christian worldview though...

that's alright, Chirstianity "borrowed" most all the techings of the New Testament, and even it's Jesus figure, from a wide number of mystery religions and philosophers that predated it. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by charliedango

So God gave us free will so he could be sure he was loved and that it wasn't forced?

It makes me uncomfortable to think that God would create all of existence just to make himself feel better about himself. Actually, I'd prefer to believe that God doesn't resign himself to the emotional frailty we as humans sometimes possess.

A long time ago I lost faith in the church because what I sought could not be found there. I was displeased with the level of immaturity I experienced on a daily level and placed my hope in the fact that God's teachings brought along with it an enlightemnment that would one day overcome childish ways. My hopes were shattered when I discovered that the elders of my church behaved in the same manner as the children at my school. These men of faith were no better than my schoolmates. I was extremely let down by that.

Throughout life I've discovered more and more that there is no difference between childhood and adulthood as I once believed there was. I found that even the oldest and supposedly wisest people on this earth are still capable of acting like complete babies. To me, God represents a creation beyond our tangible reasoning. God isn't a manipulator, or a deceiver. God doesn't play by the same rules as man, that's what makes him God, so why do so many people believe that he is just like us and capable of the same childish behavior? I don't know.

I don't pretend to know why God gave us free will, but I'm very certain in the fact that no one else knows either.

I believe that we're on our own. All has been set in place and we have the free will to do good or bad. Life realley is what YOU make it. That's the plan.

• Members
Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

I hear you man. I'm not going to church right now either. I try to remember that all things of this world will fail you (and me) and that includes friends, family members, and the church...but God is still good. I know, I know...sounds like a bunch of petty dogma BS here in the trenches...press on...ever we press on.

Man, I was in the same boat as you for a few years, if you want o understand why these things (problems with the Church) are the way they are, I suggest reading The Jesus Mysteries. It gave me one of those :idea: moments, all the things that didn't make sense did after reading it. I'm not saying that your experince will be the same, but you might find it very beneficial.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

I dont mind that Christians try to live by their Christian moral code...

What upsets me is how vehemently Christian want their moral code to be THE moral code. This push to legislate Christian morality into law. This is just not fair to the rest of us.

And Im sorry guys but I think this tauted decline of society is really overblown. This paranoid chicken little crap irritates me. Things are different, some things are worse, some things are better. Things need to be fixed? Do you think making the US into a fascist theocracy will help anything? And at what cost?

Well put.

• Members
Originally posted by Loghead

Me no understand thees logic.

OK, I think this place has become full of retards. If you read the first post it was basically a troll but a horrible one full of hate and bigotry. If I was a mod I would have deleted the thread point blank.

Just leaving the thing here says enough. Though this is all my opinion, there are a bunch of folks tired of the {censored}.

• Members
Originally posted by redrol

OK, I think this place has become full of retards. If you read the first post it was basically a troll but a horrible one full of hate and bigotry. If I was a mod I would have deleted the thread point blank.

Just leaving the thing here says enough. Though this is all my opinion, there are a bunch of folks tired of the {censored}.

Funny....I thought a bunch of whiners pretended to go over to the Rawhide Rig Bar and Gay Pickup Place because they thought the Amp Forum had become intolerant of opinions and off-topic stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by Loghead

Funny....I thought a bunch of whiners pretended to go over to the Rawhide Rig Bar and Gay Pickup Place because they thought the Amp Forum had become intolerant of opinions and off-topic stuff.

Oh well. To each his own.

• Members
Originally posted by bowmag701

To Loghead, a few posts back i used the word dumbass i was not referring to your comment but to the orginal thread starter. Sorry for any confusion. I shall now continue my vomiting ritual
:wave:

I don't even know that I noticed. I shall have to scroll back and see. Vomiting is good. It whitens one's teeth.

• Members
Originally posted by favata5

Could someone please explain to me why legislation couldnt get passed to ban flag burning but its ok in some states for Homosexuals to be married and in most schools children cant say God?? What the hell has happened?? Makes me wish I could turn the clocks back to the ol fashioned times..you know when God mattered,and men worked while the women stayed home and took care of the domestic jazz,and children had a monny and a daddy! Today its just getting twisted it used to be Adam and Eve in the Bible,,whats next Adam and Steve????

Did you learn this {censored} in Latham, or have you moved to the Capital District from somewhere else??? Do you really think you have the right to criticize other people for the way they live?? The lifestyle choices of other citizens don't bother me at all. What bothers me is that nitwits like you get all hot an bothered about this stuff and don't seem to mind the fact the government doesn't seem to believe that American citizens actually need any of their old fashioned constitutional rights rights: no more knocking and announcing before the police carsh through your door, no right to privacy, no whistle-blower protections, no right of habeus corpus, no need for due process, no right of property ownership so that your local government can claim emminent domain of you property for sale to a private company. If I were you I start hollering loud and long about these current twistings of our old fashion America and leave the gays alone (they aren't going to hurt you!). Wake up and smell the {censored}ing coffee and stop feeling holier than thequeer people.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

I dont mind that Christians try to live by their Christian moral code...

What upsets me is how vehemently Christian want their moral code to be THE moral code. This push to legislate Christian morality into law. This is just not fair to the rest of us.

This isn't accurate. Actually it is backward. The only thing our secular society seems to NOT tolerate is Christianity.

Did you go to school?....

A history lesson your left-wing liberal God-hating teacher probably didn't teach you....

Our founding Fathers (though most weren't outright Christians or rather Deists) understood the importance of a foundational and stable moral code. Funny how they ALL agreed on the Christian Bible to follow....I have DOZENS and DOZENS of quotes from Jeffereson, Franklin, Henry, Hancock etc...stating that our country will FAIL if it strays from sound faith in the Christian God....they respected the Bible so much they FRAMED our Constitution and Bill of Rights from it's language. There is a reason and definition for 'LIBERTY' and it's basis is espoused NO OTHER PLACE but in the Bible, our ORIGINS as a nation are strickly Biblical...what alot of you young 'know-it-alls' are actually saying is: "Thanks for starting us up and getting us this far God, but, we can take it from here.."

I would be MORE than happy to move to a state where Christianity ruled and allow for non-Christians to legislate their own 'morality'...I just don't want to be subject to liberal shifting situational (political correct) ethics and moral relativism...you want to see a real arguement? try discussing morality with a group of people that are moral relativists...no foundation...no standard...like trying to pin jello to the wall...

• Members
Originally posted by 23miles

Did you learn this {censored} in Latham, or have you moved to the Capital District from somewhere else??? Do you really think you have the right to criticize other people for the way they live?? The lifestyle choices of other citizens don't bother me at all. What bothers me is that nitwits like you get all hot an bothered about this stuff and don't seem to mind the fact the government doesn't seem to believe that american citizens actually need basic rights rights: no more knocking and announcing before the police carsh through your door, no right to privacy, no whistle-blower protections, no right of habeus corpus, no need for due process, no right of property ownership so that your local government can claim emminent domain of you property for sale to a private company. If I were you I start hollering loud and long about these current twistings of our old fashion America. Wake up and smell the {censored}ing coffee and stop feeling holier than thou over queer people.

why don't you stop beating up on non-queer' people...bronxo-Bully. (hypocrite)