It's piano tuning day

• Members

I'm listening to the piano tech play the Tuning Song ("PUUUNNNNGG... PUNNNNNG... bung-bung-PUNNNGGGGG *tweak-tweak* PUUUUNGGGG..."). Not a very intersting song, actually. :D

He's got this little blue, fairly old-looking device with a ring of red LEDs on it that he watches while he's tuning. What struck me, though, is this thing has some very clearly-labeled MIDI jacks on it. I can't imagine what those would be used for on a tuner?

The piano's a year overdue, so I'm looking forward to playing it in tune for a while. It's finally breaking in, though, it's held this last tune fairly well, considering how long it's been.

You may all now discuss the merits and/or foolishness of tuning your own piano. :D

• Members

I'm listening to the piano tech play the Tuning Song ("PUUUNNNNGG... PUNNNNNG... bung-bung-PUNNNGGGGG *tweak-tweak* PUUUUNGGGG..."). Not a very intersting song, actually.
:D

He's got this little blue, fairly old-looking device with a ring of red LEDs on it that he watches while he's tuning. What struck me, though, is this thing has some very clearly-labeled MIDI jacks on it. I can't imagine what those would be used for on a tuner?

The piano's a year overdue, so I'm looking forward to playing it in tune for a while. It's finally breaking in, though, it's held this last tune fairly well, considering how long it's been.

You may all now discuss the merits and/or foolishness of tuning your own piano.

Actually, I do tune my own piano. Takes me many hours. I know the pros can bang it out an hour and a half or two. But, it's kind of a therapy project. Like changing your own oil. Started a long time ago when I had a series or back to back to back technicians that did a lousy job of tuning. I got frustrated and just learned to do it myself.

On a related topic, my piano (Schimmel 6' grand) desperately need to be voiced. Many notes very harsh now and I don't even want to play the instrument (play my keyboards instead....whatta crime). I'm afraid to have just any tech come in and start poking holes in my hammers. Does anyone have any hints on how to find a technician with a great ear for voicing? I don't trust recommendations because I used to get recommendations for tuners and that didn't work out.

• Members

He's got this little blue, fairly old-looking device with a ring of red LEDs on it that he watches while he's tuning.

You may all now discuss the merits and/or foolishness of tuning your own piano.

First point I'd make is - I'd not trust a tuner who relies on a tuning machine to confirm whether-or-not he's got it right!

Tuning pianos is a fine art, which requires years of intense training to master.

If the bloke can't hear for himself if the string/note is in tune or not, then it doesn't inspire much confidence (not in me, anyway).

Second point - this doesn't mean it's a good idea to tune your own piano.

There is technique required to properly compensate for: the flexibilty of the tuning (wrest) pin,

the differing (very high) tension between the pin/top bridge, speaking-length, bottom bridge/hitch pin, etc.

The number of times I've had to repair breakages after someone has attempted some 'DIY' on their piano, well.....

I've lost count :facepalm:!

If you've got an "old banger" of a piano, & it's going to cost you loads to have it tuned, you've not really got much to lose,

but on a decent instrument I'd recommend finding a good professional.

• Members

On a related topic, my piano (Schimmel 6' grand) desperately need to be voiced. Many notes very harsh now and I don't even want to play the instrument.

Does anyone have any hints on how to
find a technician
with a great ear for voicing?

You haven't said where you live - :cop:.!

This is a world-wide forum..... you could be anywhere!

If you're in NW UK, I'll voice your piano for you :thu:

• Members

piano tuning day is very special

I have to wait until the furnace is off, sigh--it's getting pretty funky sounding

fwiw, I'll be getting him to tune it to Werkmeister III for the third year; very happy with that little experiment

Oh, and now that I think of it--that's what the MIDI is for--to download tunings and other deeply techy things

I can't WAIT until I can afford a house with a place for a real piano.

Our 1890s house has that greatest of design features: the piano wall. Divides the front room from the hall and it's EXACTLY the right length for an upright piano. :thu:

• Members

I get my Steinway tuned every 4 months... between my son and I, it gets about six hours a day of playing. Last time, I bought a tuning hammer from my piano tech so I could tweak one or two sour strings that always seem to show up a few weeks before tuning day.

• Members

Never got a chance to play my newly tuned baby last night, worked late. :( However, I think this calls for a Happy Keyboard Friday event.

@ jpscoey: This guy probably has more experience than god (and is probably about as old). He uses the tuner to save himself time and trouble, and I'm not going to count that against him. He takes excellent care of my piano, I have no complaints.

Archived