Can somebody talk to me about JCM800 vs. Plexi...

atbear

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ScreaminKing

I just got a 2204 and I'm getting a new board in it as well. The tech doing the work is amazing, and he really cleaned up my friends 2104 (2204 combo). The one I got needed some work done and I wanted it to sound more "vintagey" so he's fixing it up and modding it for me. I should get it back tomorrow
:thu:

This thread is making me a bit weary of the volume issue, but I trust in my various OD pedals to help me not blow out my ears.

Y'all let us know how these new PTP boards sound in these amps! Hope you love it.

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

That's what I was thinking too... only if needed.

How do you like your reissue?

I like it alot, but I'm picky and changed a few things like killing some of the brightness these amps are notorious for and a few other minor things, nothing major though. I throw a boost in the front of mine and get all the gain I need.

• Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Ahhh Drew...so you've decided to go for the tone of the Gods!

very good...
:D

Haha! Why did you end up selling your Super Lead? Was it just too loud, or was it a tone issue?

You sound like Chung Li in Bloodsport... "Very good... but, brick not hit back!"

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Brain Becker

I like it alot, but I'm picky and changed a few things like killing some of the brightness these amps are notorious for and a few other minor things, nothing major though. I throw a boost in the front of mine and get all the gain I need.

Did you do something simple like clipping the bright cap, or did you do much involved stuff?

After you did the work, did your amp keep it's alive organic sound, or does it sound a bit dead?

• Members

Yep... but it wouldn't be a Marshall, and I think I can get it done for less by buying a used Marshall and sending it to him...

I definately plan on going the Metro route, if it comes to that.

Dude,

If you go that route, it will be a Marshall in name on the headshell only anyway... You aren't making sense to me anyway.

Gary

• Members

Did you do something simple like clipping the bright cap, or did you do much involved stuff?

After you did the work, did your amp keep it's alive organic sound, or does it sound a bit dead?

I clipped the bright cap and lowered the resistor that it is coupled with from 470k to 220k, kills some of the brightness while retaining it's character. I also changed the cathode resistor on v1b from a 10k to 4.7k, plus I bypassed a couple of cathode resistors with .68 uf cap to increase the gain a little and to thicken things up. I also upped the slope resistor in the tone stack from a 33k to 47k. One other thing I did was to drop the resistors in the voltage divider from 470k to 120k. Still has the cut that they are known for while thickening things up some.

• Members

Originally posted by Brain Becker

I clipped the bright cap and lowered the resistor that it is coupled with from 470k to 220k, kills some of the brightness while retaining it's character. I also changed the cathode resistor on v1b from a 10k to 4.7k, plus I bypassed a couple of cathode resistors with .68 uf cap to increase the gain a little and to thicken things up. I also upped the slope resistor in the tone stack from a 33k to 47k. One other thing I did was to drop the resistors in the voltage divider from 470k to 120k. Still has the cut that they are known for while thickening things up some.

All that sounds good, but I guess you gotta hear it (before/after) to see what you mean...

• Members

Haha! Why did you end up selling your Super Lead? Was it just too loud, or was it a tone issue?

You sound like Chung Li in Bloodsport... "Very good... but, brick not hit back!"

:wave:

I needed at least a two channel amp with an effects loop for playing out...I have to cop alot of different tones on the gigs I do. The Super Lead was a bit unpractical for me, and honestly was just sitting in a room for years not getting used much. :(

I like that it went to a good home...someone that plays it regularly and takes care of it. ;)

• Members

All that sounds good, but I guess you gotta hear it (before/after) to see what you mean...

Yeah I had to play with some resistors to get it where I wanted it like the input resistance, I originally swapped in a 68k, but it made it muffled sounding so I went for the 220k. If you get a p2p board, it makes it alot easier to play around with than a pcb. Hope it helps.

• Members

;)

It'd be a modded Marshall!

Actually, it would be a Metroamp in a Marshall head case at that point... I am just curious I guess. Not trying to start any crap at all. Just curious. What is the point or allure of a PTP 800? You really aren't going to hear any difference in the sound if you use the same parts. If you start changing caps and resistor values and OT trannys, you will hear a difference. But it won't really be a Marshall any more... It will be a Metroamp in a Marshall head case. Not a Marshall at all. Capiche?

Gary

• Members

I needed at least a two channel amp with an effects loop for playing out...I have to cop alot of different tones on the gigs I do. The Super Lead was a bit unpractical for me, and honestly was just sitting in a room for years not getting used much.
:(

I like that it went to a good home...someone that plays it regularly and takes care of it.
;)

Did you sell it to Vlad? His SL sounds awesome through his GB loaded Mojotone cab.

• Members

Yes...and I preached to him for months and months to get a greenback cab!!!

Vlad has that thing tuned just right.
;)

Adam, I really can't decide between a Super Lead and a JCM800. I'm back and forth...

I mean, if you read my first post in this thread, I think I described each amp pretty well relative to the other... and I just can't decide what I want. Or, in other words, which would be better for me.

What I'd really want would be a Super Lead (and its smoothness and chewiness), at the price of a JCM800 ( ;) ), plus a pedal (to get to JCM800 territory)...

I mean, I'm not gonna lie... I play mostly at home... moderate volumes. Sometimes loud, sometimes softly. I play out at small clubs every so often, but I'm never able to crank a 100W amp to 10 in any of the places I play... 3 or 4, maybe...

However, I do love good tone... so...

Help!

:cool:

• Members

Adam, I really can't decide between a Super Lead and a JCM800. I'm back and forth...

I mean, if you read my first post in this thread, I think I described each amp pretty well relative to the other... and I just can't decide what I want. Or, in other words, which would be better for me.

What I'd really want would be a Super Lead (and its smoothness and chewiness), at the price of a JCM800 (
;)
), plus a pedal (to get to JCM800 territory)...

I mean, I'm not gonna lie... I play mostly at home... moderate volumes. Sometimes loud, sometimes softly. I play out at small clubs every so often, but I'm never able to crank a 100W amp to 10 in any of the places I play... 3 or 4, maybe...

However, I do love good tone... so...

Help!

To save money...seeing as good old non-master volume JMPs are now going for almost $2000 or more :freak: ...I think an 80's 2203 will get you close..tame the presence/treble and use a nice boost pedal, and if it's not smooth and chewy enough, a few changes can be made internally to get it closer...Late 70's master volume JMP's can sometimes be found for a good price and they are great too.

Great tone seems to cost money...alot. :freak:

Great thing is...these amps retain and/or improve in value. ;)

• Members

To save money...seeing as good old non-master volume JMPs are now going for almost $2000 or more
:freak:
...I think an 80's 2203 will get you close..tame the presence/treble and use a nice boost pedal, and if it's not smooth and chewy enough, a few changes can be made internally to get it closer...Late 70's master volume JMP's can sometimes be found for a good price and they are great too.

Great tone seems to cost money...alot.
:freak:

Great thing is...these amps retain and/or improve in value.
;)

Yep!

I was looking at the 70s JMPs and the 80s JCMs on ebay. The trick is to find a clean one for a decent price...

I'm also thinking about just getting a use 2203x reissue and maybe doing a couple things to that... it's much easier to find a mint condition amp that's stock.

I guess the Plexi is just a dream!

• Members
Originally posted by riffy

Actually, it would be a Metroamp in a Marshall head case at that point... I am just curious I guess. Not trying to start any crap at all. Just curious. What is the point or allure of a PTP 800? You really aren't going to hear any difference in the sound if you use the same parts. If you start changing caps and resistor values and OT trannys, you will hear a difference. But it won't really be a Marshall any more... It will be a Metroamp in a Marshall head case. Not a Marshall at all. Capiche?

Gary

Yeah, I get what you're saying... it'd still have plenty of the mojo left, though!

I'm just feeling things out, man...

• Members
Originally posted by riffy

Gary

Exactly. It's not like if you have heard a PTP 2203 (I mean, perhaps you have, but you get my point... :D ) Why modding an amp without having listened to it first??? I mean, he is talking about getting a 2203x and having it modded (I mean, those are expesive already, and the mod will be, too...)

And the "It won't be a Marshall" argument doesn't works. There are lot's of boutique amps out there that are basically hot rodded Marshalls and they sound at least as good as the real deal. Aren't we after the sound??? what it says on the front isn't relevant.

If you get a real 800 and have it modded, regardless of how good it ends up, it will be a butchered amp. It will be marshall in name only. If you change the board, caps, and the trannies, we are talking more than a few tweaks. It's basically building a different amp.

Just my two cents.

• Members
Originally posted by Tatosh

Exactly. It's not like if you have heard a PTP 2203 (I mean, perhaps you have, but you get my point...
) Why modding an amp without having listened to it first??? I mean, he is talking about getting a 2203x and having it modded (I mean, those are expesive already, and the mod will be, too...)

And the "It won't be a Marshall" argument doesn't works. There are lot's of boutique amps out there that are basically hot rodded Marshalls and they sound at least as good as the real deal. Aren't we after the sound??? what it says on the front isn't relevant.

If you get a real 800 and have it modded, regardless of how good it ends up, it will be a butchered amp. It will be marshall in name only. If you change the board, caps, and the trannies, we are talking more than a few tweaks. It's basically building a different amp.

Just my two cents.

And, if all those things improve the sound and my perception of the amp, wouldn't it be worth it? It's not like I'm destroying a vintage holy grail '68 Plexi here... I'm actually going for the reissue, so as not to damage a vintage Marshall. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'm certainly going to keep my options open, and I'm certainly gonna do what I want to do.

Thanks, guys.

• Members

And, if all those things improve the sound and my perception of the amp, wouldn't it be worth it? It's not like I'm destroying a vintage holy grail '68 Plexi here... I'm actually going for the reissue, so as not to damage a vintage Marshall. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'm certainly going to keep my options open, and I'm certainly gonna do what I want to do.

Thanks, guys.

Perhaps it would be best to define what you want... You have gone from, say, a 1968 superlead, to a reissue JCM 800 2203X. Albeit similar tones can be had from these amps, and they share a similar poweramp section, they are quite different for the tone purists.

What sound are you going for? Some artist in particular? your own? if so, what do you hear in your mind??

Archived