Can somebody talk to me about JCM800 vs. Plexi...

atbear

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Tatosh

Perhaps it would be best to define what you want... You have gone from, say, a 1968 superlead, to a reissue JCM 800 2203X. Albeit similar tones can be had from these amps, and they share a similar poweramp section, they are quite different for the tone purists.

What sound are you going for? Some artist in particular? your own? if so, what do you hear in your mind??

My own, but obviously, if I'm gonna use a Marshall, I'm not gonna sound totally unique. I could use any number of Marshall tones and be happy with them... as long as they are thick, crunchy, alive/organic, not too bright, and not too compressed.

• Members

This is actually some good advice...

Yeah, I agree... the trick is finding a clean one that I know is stock and well taken care of. Then I have to decide if I'm gonna mod it...

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

My own, but obviously, if I'm gonna use a Marshall, I'm not gonna sound totally unique. I could use any number of Marshall tones and be happy with them... as long as they are thick, crunchy, alive/organic, not too bright, and not too compressed.

You just described an early Superlead to a T. After a while these, along with the master volume models got too bright. Some people were calling 70s Superleads "superbrights... :D" Which is way people were cutting bright caps and/or modding them for early specs.

Have you been to the metro board? You might get a good idea of what specs you might prefer just by checking some stuff there... Some of those guys have gotten what I would call the perfect Marshall sound by changing small things there...

• Members

You just described an early Superlead to a T. After a while these, along with the master volume models got too bright. Some people were calling 70s Superleads "superbrights... :D" Which is way people were cutting bright caps and/or modding them for early specs.

Have you been to the metro board? You might get a good idea of what specs you might prefer just by checking some stuff there... Some of those guys have gotten what I would call the perfect Marshall sound by changing small things there...

Yep... I've spent all my time over there the past two days...

I could just as easily get a much cheaper and more reliable new 2203 and get it modded to those specs... then I wouldn't be destroying an old Marshall, and I'd still have the same, if not better, sound... with new reliable components.

• Members
Originally posted by atbear

I'm going 100W to get the full bottom end and depth of sound.

You will also have the volume issues to deal with! Have you ever heard the 2061? I have and I would be just as happy with it as I would a full tilt Super Lead. Its very "Plexiish" but at way more mangeable volumes. It may be missing a little bit of the bottom end but not enough to concern me. IMHO of course.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I want that 80's Lynch, old Zakk tone. I have a JCM800 2203. I dig it as it but can't crank it as neighbors and myself go deaf. will a hot plate really reduce the volume to a decent non deafening/recording volume an dstill kick the tubes in the ass?

• Members

Originally posted by keano

I want that 80's Lynch, old Zakk tone. I have a JCM800 2203. I dig it as it but can't crank it as neighbors and myself go deaf. will a hot plate really reduce the volume to a decent non deafening/recording volume an dstill kick the tubes in the ass?

Probably not like you're thinking, no...

• Members

Originally posted by keano

A hotplate will allow you to dime the 2203, that's for sure. You will certainly get the tubes "cooking". It's the speakers the ones that won't be pushed as hard.

However, a hotplated 100 watt marshall is still pretty loud. You might still need to get out of the room if playing at your house. You mileage might vary, but IMHO a hotplate makes a Marshall club-playable, not bedroom-playable.

Archived