SOT: Maple Fretboards

Loghead

• Members

Looks are important. I mean, if I'm going to spend that much for a guitar, I damn sure want it to be a pretty one. But maple? I guess it looks good. Somebody said that shredder/metal guitars come in dark colors, so I suppose maple would look better on a black guitar (I guess).

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Maple boards sound bright. I've always assumed that's one of the reasons I've found Telecasters far too bright. Those things are downright screechy.

Yup, maple is very bright, and it's found on alder guitars a lot of times, which only adds to the brightness.

• Members

Looks are important. I mean, if I'm going to spend that much for a guitar, I damn sure want it to be a pretty one. But maple? I guess it looks good. Somebody said that shredder/metal guitars come in dark colors, so I suppose maple would look better on a black guitar (I guess).

cc9fd677.jpg

• Members

I don't have a problem with maple(esp 1-pc!!!),but the ratio is pretty much in favor for rosewood in my example.
I think a future project is maybe a basswood strat w/a maple neck.Rosewood/basswood is kinda dark for my tastes,esp w/o a Floyd.
Maple + Ash is too bright for my tastes,as well.

• Members

Yes. Maple does sound brighter.

While I've never really like that brightness, I'm willing to reconsider. What has always thrown me with maple boards is the slick finish. My fingers and the strings just slide all over the place.

try unfinished maple..i use a product called "FretBoard Finishing Oil".

from stewmac...works like a charm..makes the neck hard and slick..

but not coated with that Poly {censored}...i hate poly on a strat..

• Members

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium

Maple + Ash is too bright for my tastes,as well.

That's my favorite combination. Got a MIM 50's RI Tele that I really dig, and my next guitar (G&L Legacy Special) will also have this wood combo.

• Members

I like feel and looks.

It feels harder and smoother...The strings don't seem to dig in as easily.

And looks...definitely looks...... a dark blue or black strat-style wiht a maple neck? Fugettaboutit. Very elegant looking.

Even this cheap Squier looks better with a maple fretboard:

EM_031-0602-595.gif

• Members

I prefer Maple necks that feel slippery like ice.
I think maple looks ugly. Visually I prefer a darker fretboard............but nothing beats the icy feel of a properly finished maple neck. I tolerate the ugliness cause i like finger skating..

(but there is such thing as a {censored}ty maple neck. I'm about to replace one that feels like it was finished with crazyglue).

I dont care about "tone" of various neck woods.

the girl in the front row can't notice the difference.
and with my EQ i can fool anyone who can tell the difference tonally between a maple, rosewood, ebony etc. (assuming anyone can)

• Members

Another vote for looks.

99% of guitars made it seems, other than fenders, have dark fingerboards. I love maple just because it stands out.

If it was the other way around and everyone used maple, I'd probably be lusting for rosewood or ebony though.

• Members

Originally posted by gafyagaton

the girl in the front row can't notice the difference.

and with my EQ i can fool anyone who can tell the difference tonally between a maple, rosewood, ebony etc. (assuming anyone can)

That may be. I don't use one of those things.

Archived