Wolfmother

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I like them. I downloaded their album and it is really good.

BTW
Are they ripping off LZ and BS ect.. or influenced by them? Oh yes, WHO ISN'T!?

They are very original in this time and age. Look at all these emo {censored}s, good charlotte, Panic! at the disco, Taking Back Sunday, and Aiden (just to name a very small amount). Wolfmother is a HELL of alot better than these bands and half of the crap that is out these days.

Half of the crap mentioned in this thread is opinion anyway.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Guvnor

STP? cutting a path? fresh? You could put on their first album and go... "Soundgarden... AIC... Pearl Jam... Nirvana..." That record was the earliest sign that the revolution's days were numbered... Them and Candlebox.. total cock rock repackaged corporate bull{censored}

I really wish people would grow some ears. Where were the jazz chords in the Soundgarden, AIC, PJ, etc songs? Weiland didn't sound like any of them either. I never understood the Vedder comparisons either. They also further proved that they were original with their later albums.

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

I really wish people would grow some ears. Where were the jazz chords in the Soundgarden, AIC, PJ, etc songs? Weiland didn't sound like any of them either. I never understood the Vedder comparisons either. They also further proved that they were original with their later albums.

+1

Had several prominent and very misguided critics not made the Vedder comparisons, no one else would have either. They planted that seed in people's minds and it was total bull{censored}.

• Members

funny how people over here gush over the Black Crowes and that band might be more deriative than Wolfmother... Pure Faces, Stones, worship...

I also hear alot of Guess Who and Grand Funk in Wolfmother... there just a cool young rock band IMHO....

• Members

I realize they draw their influences from the 70's bands but who doesn't? Their music isn't rocket science but I do dig a lot of their tunes and I think they have their own sound which is way more important to me than technical playing. I personally dig them a lot.

• Members

I still dont get the Pj STP comparison. There is NO sexy in PJ. STP reeks of sex. There is no swagger in PJ. STP is all swagger. Not to say that I dont like pj, they are just not alike at all. Mcready & gossard=hendrix influence. Dean Deleo=page.

• Members
Originally posted by Bradman006

{censored} yeah!!!

Go the Crows!

I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years, since I was 9 years old (since they joined the AFL).

[

Adelaide will choke like last year!

:cool::D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by Evil Jimmi

I prefer The Sword or High on Fire to Wolfmother . . .

Oh, and Cave-In totally rocks--in all of their incarnations . . . one of my favorite bands of the 21st century.

{censored}ing right The Sword rocks...Age of Winters is a favorite album. The opening riff in Freya is beautiful...love it.

I like High on Fire, I have Blessed Black Wings, but I don't like them near as much as The Sword.

While we're talking about these types of bands, we can't forget about Mastodon...!

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

I'm talking about the songs and arrangements--not whatever holdovers they kept from their hair metal days. There are no amount of Jazz chords in the world to mask them apeing Nirvana on that acoustic song on that first record.

If you guys like it, great... I'm not totally against them (even enjoyed some of Purple) but they were what they were: the first McGrunge band. The point is this: there is a difference in ripping off and influence. The difference is TIME. Example: it's been 30-40 years since Sabbath, Zeppelin and the Stones heydays... they're fair game. But when a band like, say, Jet comes out within a year of the White Stripes... that's an ape.

• Members

I'm talking about the songs and arrangements--not whatever holdovers they kept from their hair metal days.

The impetus behind that was probably some record exec dweeb, not the band necessarily. Sometimes to get your foot in the door you gotta play the game. I still don't think the aping was that overt (although it could be in the song you're referencing as I'ver never heard it).

But when a band like, say, Jet comes out within a year of the White Stripes... that's an ape.

I don't hear that comparison either. Beatles, AC/DC, Iggy Pop, sure. But the White Stripes? Maybe if you broke both of the Jet drummer's arms and forced him to play like a wind-up monkey then maybe, but as it is, no.

• Members

Originally posted by PlayboyChris

The impetus behind that was probably some record exec dweeb, not the band necessarily. Sometimes to get your foot in the door you gotta play the game. I still don't think the aping was that overt (although it could be in the song you're referencing as I'ver never heard it).

I don't hear that comparison either. Beatles, AC/DC, Iggy Pop, sure. But the White Stripes? Maybe if you broke both of the Jet drummer's arms and forced him to play like a wind-up monkey then maybe, but as it is, no.

Fair enough... I'm not as familar with Jet; I just remember that tune 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' seemed pretty similar to "Fell in Love With a Girl"... and I don't mean to come off as a complete dick. I totally agreed with a lot your original posts in this thread; I'm just really passionate about the music of the early nineties and I partially blame (rightly or wrongly) STP for its demise.

• Members

Fair enough... I'm not as familar with Jet; I just remember that tune 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' seemed pretty similar to "Fell in Love With a Girl"... and I don't mean to come off as a complete dick. I totally agreed with a lot your original posts in this thread; I'm just really passionate about the music of the early nineties and I partially blame (rightly or wrongly) STP for its demise.

I won't argue, taste is subjective, and STP has always been divisive. I really started getting into music around 1990, probably with most of the same bands as you. Weiland did sound like Vedder on "Plush", but it was a coincidence, STP had been around in LA and San Diego for a few years. I think STP was marketed as grunge because of the popularity of other bands, but they were never a grunge band. I saw more influence from Zeppelin, Bowie, and Paul McCartney than Pearl Jam or Nirvana. Anyway, probably my favorite band of the 90's, I liked the growth and progression on each subsequent album, "No. 4" being a personal favorite.

• Members

Actually, Jet aped some bands right down to the right down to the riff. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" was "Lust For Life" with some minor changes (and the guitar riff sounded similar to the Stripes' "Screwdriver") And "Look What You've Done" was a complete rip-off of The Beatles "Sexy Sadie."

I think that Grunge went because nu-metal started coming in... I doubt that it's STP's fault for that. More like Korn's.

Archived