Arturia Analog Experience - The Laboratory - Anyone??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i know their analog factory experience, comes with 32key controller. so I guess this laboratory version is the same with 49 key controller instead. basically a preset software instrument featuring old synths. I like their CS80V a lot.

nothing hybrid about it. just a software and a midi controller.

nice looking controller i must say.

aluminium and wooden case, velocity, aftertouch,breath control input, nice colours.

keys are made by CME. don't know if it's a good thing

for $350 even worth it for the controller alone

• Members

Excellent. Tell 'em I sent you, lol!

...nothing hybrid about it. just a software and a midi controller...

Yeah, I have a bad habit of calling any software/hardware package "hybrid".

NI Machine, Kore, Guitar Rig (Kontrol), etc...

Probably not the right term for it, lol!

I really think I may be picking this up soon.

Been looking for a good 49-key controller w/aftertouch.

Since the XBoards are eluding me and everything else is really pricey, this looks to be the way to go.

Thanks!

~M

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Just got the Laboratory and it is awful. All it is, is a glorified MIDI controller. You need to rely on your laptop as the brain for this thing, as well as sound. So, got to send sound out of your 1/8" output on laptop=LAME.

The one I got was obviously dropped or something, as there was something rattling around the inside of it, as well as a dent, AND the mod wheel was {censored}ed up. Not cool.

Registering this thing was a pain. Once I got it registered and downloaded the license to use it, I had to restart it MULTIPLE times to get the keyboard to actually work-it was only working off my laptop. Finally got it to work, then the audio abruptly stopped working; had to restart the program and the controller.

This thing is a piece of crap, do not buy it.

• Members

You really need a proper audio interface to use products like this.

Not sure how you bought it thinking the keyboard made sound itself?

Sounds like you need to return yours for one that's not broken.

The registration may just be an Arturia thing, dunno.

Anyways, since the software itself is like $250, this metal controller with aftertouch is only another $100.

If you're going to use the software, the controller is a deal.

I let my pre-order pass, but I'm still considering it.

Just not sure if I need it this time around or not.

I'll probably get it this year, just maybe later this year.

• Members

by the look, I suspect it is just like the smaller ANALOG FACTORY, for which there is a free demo.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/analogfactory/resources.html

I kinda enjoyed dinking around with the presets in the demo. I don't recall any real editing possible in the demo, but it had some fun to play with sounds.

Sound quality is 7 or 8 out of 10 to me

• Members

There are two versions of the software. The original Analog Factory and the newer Analog Laboratory. The diff is the Lab version offers more editing features but still not 100%.

Factory software can be purchased at NovaMusik for $100. While the extra editing of the Lab software is nice, I'm not sure I would pay $150 for it.

If you really need lots (3500!!!!) of vintage analog presets, Factory is a good buy. If you are looking for a VA you can program yourself, steer clear.

BTW the demo is the best deal. Not a lot of presets but it's free and has no timeout or audio marking :thu:

• Members

It's essentially a sample player/emulation of vintage analog synths with some limited tweakability.

I thought the samples were of their VST synths not the analogue instruments.

[edit]

From Arturia website:

All presets are carefully selected from the Arturia Classic Synths (Minimoog V, Moog Modular V, CS-80V, ARP 2600 V, Prophet V, Prophet VS and Jupiter-8V). These TAE

• Members

@absolutkiss How was the feel of the actual controller? Arturia's registration and having to install crappy DRM software is a huge minus. Also, I don't know how true it is, but I read that it only works on one computer EVER(I'm skeptical).

You can edit the full sounds if you own the synths. Maybe not bad combined with Audiomidi's three for one deal on Arturia's The One....I'd be interested to know if you can do deeper editing from the keyboard as I hate Arturia's GUIs.

• Members

..I'd be interested to know if you can do deeper editing from the keyboard as I hate Arturia's GUIs.

The newest Laboratory keyboard looks identical to the Laboratory software interface. Therefore you can see the type of edits you can make using the keyboard. If you want deeper editing (and also own the underlying Arturia products), you can launch each individual product GUI from within Laboratory.

Analog Factory/Laboratory is good if you want a boatload of presets to be available to you.

• Members

in response to "what it is", i think some have touched on it...it is basically a lot...LOT of presets from the VST's they offer. all with limited teakability. VERY limited. so, while it is highly disappointing that you can't do more with the patches, as some of them ARE very, very good- you also have a lot to work with. to me it is a great value because the sounds are good. i don't know about the controller.

• Members

Re: the controller...I believe I read that they were using CME-sourced keybeds and I know it's a metal case with aftertouch.

Should be good value, particularly when you include the large quality (though not very tweakable) sound library that comes with it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Arturia Analog Experience - The Laboratory...

Interesting hardware/software hybrid...Has anyone used this yet?

How is it?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AELab/

arturia_the_laboratory.gif

Thanks!

~M

Had a Factory Experience and was glad to be rid of it, nightmare to register, when it worked properly was quite good, but that was not often, nothing wrong with my laptop

so it was this pile of rubbish, look for something else or enter a world of pain.

• Members

I reviewed the Player, which is their lowest-priced entry ($149 street). I think a lot of people are missing the point, this isn't an editable synth package - they have their soft synths for that - but a way to add a bunch of sounds to a studio setup, and a controller, for not a lot of money. If you already have synths and controllers, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But, for example, I have a friend who's a guitarist/drummer and has a small, synth-less studio. So, he's looking at one of these packages, because he gets thousands of sounds (he really doesn't want to spend his life tweaking patches) and a way to play them for not a lot of bucks.

Two other things...the keyboard has really held up well for me. It's made by CME and I appreciate the metal construction. The other aspect is a can of worms...the whole analog thing. I was raised on analog synths, I have a Minimoog here that was signed by Bob Moog when he came over to visit. Analog is analog, and digital versions of analog...vary. Some are close, some suck, some are in between. Arturia does a good job of getting "warmth" out of their modeling process. Frankly, I prefer good modeling over sampling when it comes to virtual analog. Samples are static, whereas with modeling, it's easy to add slight variations. And technically speaking, op amps are analog computers (the original reason they were invented was to perform analog computation; audio applications came later) - if you think about it, they're basically modeling in the analog domain.

Interesting tidbit: When I sampled my Minimoog, I of course thought "Well, I'll just sample a single cycle, it's a waveform, right?" But I found that if I sampled, say, a minute of a sawtooth wave and looped that, it definitely sounded better. There were just enough slight variations within that minute of sampling that it made a difference in the perceived effect.

• Members

Arturia is hardly the only mfr of digital synths to play fast and loose with the word "analog".

I really think the Laboratory idea is a good one, since lack of editing was the downside of the original Analog Factory. There's plenty of sounds, mostly good and the prices are low.

The sequencer patches are a mixed blessing, Arturia is not alone in providing preset sequences but if I can't edit a sequence it's useless to me.

Like Craig wrote the controller is only worth considering if you're starting from scratch. When I was messing with the Analog Factory demo I found the filter and ADSR controls responded to knobs on my Yamaha Motif and I could assign two of the four patch specific knobs...good enough for me! I agree that Aruria really missed the boat by not including a basic USB audio interface, even if it was output only. One less thing to buy, one less thing to hook up...it would really enhance the package.

• Members

i saw one of these (can't recall which one) at GC when i was buying Maschine. i was very surprised with the overall feel and build quality. nice semi-weighted keys, quality knobs/encoders, the whole thing felt really solid. seems like it'd at least make a nice,cheap controller board.

• Members

hmmm, downloaded the demo and like it a lot. The standalone didn't respond to midi but the vst does. There's not much to tweak and I can map filter/lfo and adsr to my my little akai so even the free one is a keeper.

What is the difference between the Factory and the Player besides that the Player has less knobs on it? Player is dead cheap, $169 @ GC

Archived