Arturia Analog Experience - The Laboratory - Anyone??

• Members

@ Citizen Klaus, thx... that confirms what I was afraid of. While I already have a laptop there to record the events I'm thinking the sound quality coming out of the 1/8 inch jack wouldn't be the best and the software could drag the system down on the recording end. Sounds like this product isn't for me. Thanks again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@ Citizen Klaus, thx... that confirms what I was afraid of. While I already have a laptop there to record the events I'm thinking the sound quality coming out of the 1/8 inch jack wouldn't be the best and the software could drag the system down on the recording end. Sounds like this product isn't for me. Thanks again.

No problem.

You could still use it as a master keyboard live -- it's pretty versatile in that regard -- but the build quality really leaves something to be desired. The chassis may be built like a tank, but the innards are rather unreliable. I'm on my second unit now, and I might soon be sending it back for a third. The first board arrived with a misaligned pitch-bend wheel, which snapped after just over a week of light use and would no longer return to center. The second keyboard's aftertouch stopped working last night, right in the middle of practice. I can't turn it back on -- the aftertouch assign option in the setup menu always resets to "off" after exiting the menu, regardless of how many times I save my settings. This may be a firmware problem, though, so I might just wait for an update. (Edit: And now aftertouch mysteriously works again, but the mod wheel has stopped sending data.) The hardware on the second board is otherwise solid, though the sliders feel a bit gritty and the drum pads are horribly insensitive.

Good concept, flawed execution. The best reason to get one isn't really for the keyboard itself, or the Analog Laboratory software, but for Arturia's current Hybrid Madness promotion. It's not quite as good as the old 3-for-the price of-1 deal that they used to run with The One, but it's still pretty solid: 3 free V-series softsynths (which you can select from a list that includes the new Oberheim SEM V) with purchase of the 49, and 4 free softsynths with purchase of the 61.

• Members

The Arturia Moog Modular V is actually pretty damn cool, I like that for a lot of things, and may even buy it one day, and I like the new Oberheim better than the OPX-Pro that I have, but I haven't been crazy about their other stuff. I even bought the ARP 2600 a few years ago (one of my first softsynths) and I thought it was horrible and it was almost never used.

That Moog Modular V, though.... You can get some nice sounds out of that thing.

• Members

The Arturia Moog Modular V is actually pretty damn cool, I like that for a lot of things, and may even buy it one day, and I like the new Oberheim better than the OPX-Pro that I have, but I haven't been crazy about their other stuff. I even bought the ARP 2600 a few years ago (one of my first softsynths) and I thought it was horrible and it was almost never used.

That Moog Modular V, though.... You can get some nice sounds out of that thing.

Agreed. The Modular V is my favorite, as well. I also like the CS-80V, though it loses a bit of the magic without all the unique hardware features of the original. And the Prophet V is great for aggressive, distorted sounds -- though I suspect that, particularly in hybrid mode, all it's really doing is reinforcing my GAS for an Evolver.

• Members

I bought the Laboratory with 61 key controller used in mint condition a couple of months ago for a good price. I like the controller AND the sounds very much.

The 3,500 patches cover an AMAZING variety of sound types, and they're nicely indexed so you can audition them to find the one you want. It's not the best interface I've ever seen, but it does allow you to adjust some basic parameters. But for the money, that's a LOT of quality sounds. Combined with the controller, it was quite a bargain.

I have to say that playing around with the sounds has made me think a bit more about buying the entire V Collection, which I intend to do.

• Members

Hmm I too also saw the Hello Music deal and am also considering buying the 61 key version, especially because I have no other controllers and this would essentially be my first. I'm curious as to what 4 other synth software is; from the image they look to be the classic pack, moog V, spark VDM and brass 2.0. For what it cost, 350, that seems to be a great value?

Archived