How are Meshuggah anything other than a complete mess

FWAxeIbanez

• Members
Originally posted by code_blue

I have never been impressed at all by them.

Other than the odd time changes, they sound kind of like watered down nu-metal with the GodSmack vocalist.

I really don't get that image of them. When i first heard them they were completely different to anything i had ever heard (and at the time i was a Nu-metal monkey...)

Meh, i love Meshuggah, if other people don't like them it's somewhat good. I don't have to put up with 12 year olds wearing their merch :thu:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have never been impressed at all by them.

Other than the odd time changes, they sound kind of like watered down nu-metal with the GodSmack vocalist.

You obvioulsy havent heard anything but the newer stuff. check out Contradictions Collapse, its there first album and it sounds like old metallica. One of the most underrated albums ever if you ask me. heres a couple songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy9ABSPfia0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWGWmUkFGs

the second one is from destroy erase improve

• Members
Originally posted by sammyhuck_finn

yeah, he also plays the mini keyboard with his nose hairs while farting into a horn.

I know it's amazing, hey?

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like listening to an album and feeling like I just finished a math exam while someone shouted in my ear the whole time. :confused: I know that's strange, but that's how I feel. :D

I need a groove, a melody, something other than rhythmically complicated noise to keep my interest.

• Members
Originally posted by anomaly

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like listening to an album and feeling like I just finished a math exam while someone shouted in my ear the whole time.
:confused:
I know that's strange, but that's how I feel.
:D

I need a groove, a melody, something other than rhythmically complicated noise to keep my interest.

That's probably one of the best ways of explaining what Meshuggh sounds like. I just think you need to listen a little closer. When you catch the groove, it's sick.

On another note, my 4 year old son really likes Meshuggah. He starts to run around the room and dance like crazy when I put it in. He seems to really like New Millenium Cyanide Christ. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by convexstone

Meshuggah... I call it mind bending music. I like mind bending music... groove, melody etc. everything's in there. You need to have a 'brain' to like this music...(not in all cases)

+1...most people that absolutely love them tend to be better educated on their madness....so they actually understand whats going on....I for one love em(not cliaming myself to be a genious though).

Also, if you feel your mind being challenged then thats a good thing right....if I gave up everytime something confused me or made me have to use my brain I'd be back in elementary school.

• Members

Me too....this stuff just doesn't hold my attention at all.

I think that's why I've gotten more into blues-based rock in recent years. I need a groove.

Hell even old school Motown catches me.....this stuff does nothing for me.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

Me too....this stuff just doesn't hold my attention at all.

I think that's why I've gotten more into blues-based rock in recent years. I need a groove.

Hell even old school Motown catches me.....this stuff does nothing for me.

There's always a groove...whether you can wrap your head around it on the first listen is the question.

You have to make an attempt to understand the music...it's definately not catered to the masses. Take the time to understand and it'll open new doors to your musical world.

• Members

Meshuggah are very melodic and "groovy" to my ears, it's just a different type of melody. Fredrick Thordenal puts alot of crazy diminished stuff over top of the (mostly) atonal grooves so it's not exactly the most accessible stuff.... Also the 8-string stuff is very repetitive and one-stringish. If you don't really really like them the 8-string {censored} is hard to get into.

I see their music as really experimental, but it's different than most "expermental" stuff in that it can be regressive instead of progressive. Instead of playing extended solos or scalar stuff they stay on the same groove for several minutes. Like with any band you just need to stay with them for their "indulgences" and you might be rewarded ;)

• Members

I know it's amazing, hey?

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like listening to an album and feeling like I just finished a math exam while someone shouted in my ear the whole time.
:confused:
I know that's strange, but that's how I feel.
:D

That's so wierd. I don't hear any math at all when I listen to Meshuggah.

In fact all I hear is groove.

Really strange wierd sorta alien groove but groove nonetheless.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My twins (2.5 years) absolutely LOVE Meshuggah. They come into my studio and start banging on the guitars and then Noah says 'Pa...play 'shugga'. This is his code for turn on the distortion. I kick in the drive channel and he starts banging away at the guitar and I'll do the fingering for Rational Gaze. Then my other one...Levi...will start mosh walking around singing like cookie monster! Rahr! Rahr Rahr! Rhar! Let me tell ya...we throw it down.

Oh and they will specifically ask for New Millenium Cyanide Christ.
We will be in Best Buy or something and one of them will say 'Pa...track 2' (NMCC is the second track on Chaosphere).

Last thing, they refer to the breakdown bit in Dehumanization (on Catch 33) as 'da breakdown'. So if we are in the car and one of them goes 'play shuggah'. I'll go 'Which one...track two or the breakdown?' 7 out of 10 times they'll want track two. Ha ha.

Ah...I love those kids. And Meshuggah. And my wife. And my 7 String baritone. And...

Ok...I'm sick and the medication is obviously taking effect. I'm going to bed.

Buh bye....

adf
d
f
dfldjlakdjf;ad
fs
dflsdjf

• Members

Originally posted by convexstone

Meshuggah... I call it mind bending music. I like mind bending music... groove, melody etc. everything's in there. You need to have a 'brain' to like this music...(not in all cases)

Have you ever heard Cephalic Carnage? Listen to "Lucid Interval" : http://www.myspace.com/cephaliccarnage

Or Gangus Tron? Listen to "Ride the Steambolt" : http://www.myspace.com/genghistron

You idea of underground smart people elite music is kind of bland really.

• Members

Originally posted by SOMMS

That's so wierd. I don't hear any math at all when I listen to Meshuggah.

They are known for their increasingly odd time signatures that wrap around and loop with the 4/4 time. All math. They even got tossed into the category of groups that only did nothing but that. Hence the coin of "math rock".

• Members

Originally posted by thrill74

They are known for their increasingly odd time signatures that wrap around and loop with the 4/4 time. All math. They even got tossed into the category of groups that only did nothing but that. Hence the coin of "math rock".

But if they do it in every song does it ever get old?

• Members

I must admit, Nothing kind of wears me out a little. There are "songs" with the melody and lyric content that are pretty catchy on there. But it does leave you a tad worn out. Catch 33 on the other hand is one of those Dark Side albums for me. You have to start at track 1 and go in that order you know? 33 is more like an actual musical story rather than just the odd times one song after another. And the album flows very nicely. So no, 33 does not get old for me.

• Members

Have you ever heard Cephalic Carnage? Listen to "Lucid Interval" :

Or Gangus Tron? Listen to "Ride the Steambolt" :

You idea of underground smart people elite music is kind of bland really.

Cephalic Carnage kicks ass, I like how they still have a sense of humour and don't take themselves seriously, but they out-shred the bands that take themselves super seriously...

KILL FOR WEED!!!!!!!!!

Archived