How are Meshuggah anything other than a complete mess

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

When i listen to Meshuggah i'm not thinking about maths or anything (unless i want to). I generally tap the 4/4 polyrhythms (the symbals) and nod my head :D

They're not as boring as Tool to me. I can't get into Tool. It's boring. I love Meshuggah though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by code_blue

I have never been impressed at all by them.

Other than the odd time changes, they sound kind of like watered down nu-metal with the GodSmack vocalist.

Holy crap. You obviously smoke crack on a regular basis .

• Members

Originally posted by penguin_316

There's always a groove...whether you can wrap your head around it on the first listen is the question.

You have to make an attempt to understand the music...it's definately not catered to the masses. Take the time to understand and it'll open new doors to your musical world.

It has nothing to do with understanding it.....it's noise to me.

Much like many here wouldn't see the genius in the production of a Def Leppard song because they're fag-rock or something.

Different strokes for different folks....people look at things different ways and appreciate different aspects.

• Members

I don't know why I like Meshuggah, they seem to not have many elements I associate with good music, like melody, dynamics, etc, yet I love all stuff they've released. When people ask me why I like them I can't really think of any other reason except that they're awesome :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by convexstone

Meshuggah... I call it mind bending music. I like mind bending music... groove, melody etc. everything's in there. You need to have a 'brain' to like this music...(not in all cases)

You think you need to be some smartass elitist too appreciate this stuff? bull{censored}. I know plenty of numbskull Meshuggah fans, and plenty of smartass fans that think they're more intelligent than they actually are.

I honestly think you need to appreciate it for it's non-musical qualities to really like it, cause it doesn't have very many musical qualities. It's organized noise. Sorry, but melody it doesn't have much of... especially when considering alot of other extreme metal acts; which isn't a very melodic genre to begin with.

I know Meshuggah are talented, and i respect what they do (like i said already). They're just not a very musical band. They're a VERY unmusical band, actually.

• Members
Originally posted by code_blue

No, I just find them generic.

:idea:

There's nothing generic about them. They're a very original band actually.

Are they a good band? Well... that's another question all together. It depends if you're a fan of music, or a fan of rhythmically complex, arranged noise?

• Members
Originally posted by anomaly

There's nothing generic about them. They're a very original band actually.

Read the first three comments on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGpqlS4ibiM

"HOW DARE YOU SAY THEY SUCK! YOU MUST BE DUMB!"

:D

I find it boring, just because the drums are annoying doesn't make it very original. I just think they are trying too hard to be different.

Oh and listen to the first word the singer says, sounds almost identical to this Godsmack song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki1Ewu-Cs6w

Archived