Education on EMO!

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Chudanez

"They all look like twats, follow the scene, badmouth anything that isn't as good as them."

As i said before. All labels about emos are entirely true. I can look at anybody who is emo and automatically know they are emo. Just by how they all dress the same. (and act the same) Hell, they are all the same.

People can look at me and tell you that i like rock, but they cant tell u what kind of rock i like.

• Members

Originally posted by JoshuaLogan

Most of you will not care about this post, but I have to make it, because it's extremely annoying seeing a bunch of ignorant people talking {censored} about something they know nothing about.

Although I agree with you that there are a lot of ignorant generalizations on the HCAF, the only one I actually really agree with is that EMO sucks. I think every generation needs a musical movement to relate to. I believe that time will show that the EMO generation got jilted (some would say that they don't need time to show them). But again, kudos to you for not buying in to everybody else's opinion. I think this fact is more important than the choices you make about music.

• Members

And i'm not even mentionning the straight edge wankers who come up to me at gigs and say "stop drinking that pint or we'll beatdown you!"

Straight edge kids acutually did that????? So much for that... Here in my town, I'm straight edge, but part of being straight edge is respect.. thats just wrong. I'll kick his ass for you :D

• Members
Originally posted by xSilenTxShadoWx

Straight edge kids acutually did that????? So much for that... Here in my town, I'm straight edge, but part of being straight edge is respect.. thats just wrong. I'll kick his ass for you
:D

I don't even drink that much. I wouldn't considering myself straight edge but i barely drink that much alcohol. A couple of pints on a special occasion or something, but the fact that these kids feel they need to protect me from the evil beer by beating me up is ludicrous...

Usually ends up me saying "Touch me and i'll cut ya mate..." *Puts keys between knuckle*

I can listen to any music nowadays... Except what i class as emo ('genres' such as hardcore, post hardcore, screamo, screamo-core, jazz-uber-scream-post-hard-metalcore and whatever else has 'o' or 'core' as a suffix is a nono). Hell, i enjoy listening to dance and drum'n'bass music more then emo. At least it's memorable.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

When I saw this thread title, and the amount of replies, I already knew what happened. Sorry dude. Good intentions or not, it was a bad idea.

But some of the replies are still sickeningly ignorant. I previously thought a bit more highly of a few of you now.

Don't get me wrong, if the music is good it's good. If it's just some wanker incoherantly hitting his guitar while some prettyboy fag screams then it's just {censored}.

Pretty much every emo i know is in a band nowadays because it's the cool thing to do. I always thought that the more your band progresses the more unique it should become, but every band in Brighton copies each other. If one band gets a synth player, every other band does. It's no longer about originallity, it's about being part of the scene and it's just a massive clich

• Members

^ First off, I'm gonna say that you sound like an asshole, through and through. You're bitching so much about "emos" that you sound like one yourself :bor:

With that in mind, I'm gonna say that a lot of bands I listen to that some say would be "emo" I find just a creative and fun as Horse the Band - and guess what? I could really care less what they looked like!

Imagine that.

And as for Cute Is What We Aim for...I don't see how them catering to 12 year old girls is any different than a metal band catering to assholes in their 20's.

And NEWSFLASH: Nobody but dumb {censored}s listen to bands because of how they look, so you shouldn't NOT listen to bands because of how they look either.

• Members

Pretty much every emo i know is in a band nowadays because it's the cool thing to do. I always thought that the more your band progresses the more unique it should become, but every band in Brighton copies each other. If one band gets a synth player, every other band does. It's no longer about originallity, it's about being part of the scene and it's just a massive clich

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Strangely enough, Horse actually shares a lot more in common with what emo/screamo (I know, still gay names, even if the real bands aren't) actually is than the closest poppy bands of today really get.

I know the trends are retarded and there literally is no originality. But all of that stuff really is just lame pop punk with whiny singers and maybe random screaming. Ignore the singing, and think about what it sounds like. Think about it. That's kind of the opposite of hardcore, don't you think?

I realize that a lot of people also use the word to refer to the "emos," for lack of a better term. But that's not even a very accurate descriptor, even in the context of "emo" as it is known in the mainstream today. A lot of these kids may not even like any of these "emo" bands. They could just as easily be into the opposite side of today's trend, which yet again, people mistakenly call "metalcore." Same thing here. What does that have to do with hardcore?

A more appropriate title is SCENESTER. As you said, they're all about what's cool in the "scene," and they eat it all up.

I just wish people would catch on to that, if nothing more than to avoid all the "All emo/metalcore is a gay and awful trend and not even music," sweeping generalizations. It just gets annoying. Most people that say things like that still ignore the simple explanations people try to post, which is pretty sad. The ignorance gets old fast. I honestly don't really like hardly any "true" emo bands at all, but I can at least acknowledge and respect that the real ones do actually try, are creative, and know they will never be popular, but keep at it anyways.

I thought JoshuaLogan's analogy to nu metal was pretty good, but it still flew right by the metal heads. You don't see people saying, "All
METAL
is a gay and awful trend and not even music. Just look at Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot..."

ONEARMEDSCISSORS IS A {censored}ING GENIUS AND ALL YOU TWATS SHOULD LISTEN TO HIM

• Members
Originally posted by bob the dentist

^ First off, I'm gonna say that you sound like an asshole, through and through. You're bitching so much about "emos" that you sound like one yourself
:bor:

With that in mind, I'm gonna say that a lot of bands I listen to that some say would be "emo" I find just a creative and fun as Horse the Band - and guess what? I could really care less what they looked like!

Imagine that.

And as for Cute Is What We Aim for...I don't see how them catering to 12 year old girls is any different than a metal band catering to assholes in their 20's.

And NEWSFLASH: Nobody but dumb {censored}s listen to bands because of how they look, so you shouldn't NOT listen to bands because of how they look either.

I don't listen to bands for what they look like, but if they insist on dressing like girls then it somewhat puts me off.

I get enough of crap from "emo" people in my local scene. It's got nothing to do with the music. They just happen to all be arrogant twats and i don't think i've met one decent one out of the 1000s i've talked to. Even the ones that didn't dress "emo" before who i was friends with turned into arseholes and cut me out because they had more scene friends then me. It's all about popularity and if it gets them 12 year-old illegal vagina it suits them fine :thu:

I really wouldn't mind if people called Metal {censored}. Doesn't bother me at all because most of the bands in "metal" are more diverse and sound different. If you gave me one screamo band and compared it with another i couldn't tell the difference. At least with nu-metal, Limp Bizkit sound completely different to Slipknot who sound nothing like Korn who lets face it are nothing like Linkin Park...

• Members

Are you making fun of it, or what?

I'm sorry if you aren't, it's just that so many people on here are dicks to me just because I like "emo"
:o

Go cry and cut yourself and put on girl pants and wear makeup and cut my lawn.

I'm going to go listen to music that is really serious and badass and grown up, that deals with social issues like having sex with dead bodies and slaying dragons.

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

No one cares about emo because it's the lamest form of "music" ever created, and one of the gayest fads ever.

If you had just called it Gay or Lame but gayest or lamest form of "music" *ever*? Sorry Mark, that goes to rap and hip hop. Ill listen to emo fags over friggin rap any day of the week...

• Members
Originally posted by Rindgecore

dude, i dont know how you managed to only list bands that existed in the late 90s and on.......you didnt even mention the real inventors of the genre....

Rites of Spring

Mos Icon

and even some othe later early/mid 90s stuff.....

Mineral

Braid

Texas is the Reason

cmon dude. dont act like you know whats going on here.

Did you not read? All of the Rites of Spring, Moss Icon (yes, there are two s's) was listed was included in the below. At the top I only listeded MODERN examples...

As for mineral and braid and all of those kind of bands... it really depends on which way you think it went. I'm not unaware of all of these bands, but I don't think those whole indie-pop-influenced kind of bands are really in the same vein...

As for someone suggesting shotmaker, they were a great band.

I haven't read half the last 2 pages yet. I'm still laughing. Maybe I should have made a post about satan? :rolleyes:

• Members

Listen to Hawthorne Heights.

Then listen to Circle Takes the Square.

:idea:

Point taken, but listening to Hawthorne Heights would make it impossible to compare, as you would be forced to shove sharpened pencils into your ear drums to guarantee that you never hear anything like that again.

Archived