Ugh! Why is gear such a black art full of disinformation?

DirtyBird

• Members

My friend is telling me a Marshall fullstack is 1000 watts, I keep telling him it's probably more like 100 watts, and he's like "no the guy from Motley crue said itw as 1000 watts and so did [father of musician friend of his who dont know {censored}, he's just old].

WTF is wrong with people? Such bull{censored} just goes around forever and no one ever calls anybody on this {censored}.

THere's so much disinformation and plain idiocy going around about damn near everything musically related and this {censored} is starting to get on my nerves. You can't trust anything anyone says because no one knows what the hell they're talkin about. Hell I know people that are convinced that biasing amps is completely unnecessary, and they have pretty good arguments for that... and it's like wtf? Is it just a scam to make money on the part of tube re-sellers?

All this mystical mumbo jumbo about NOS tubes and 1000 watt full-stacks and boiled strings sound better and 100 watt amps are twice as loud as 50 watt amps (of course, not true) but it's like... wehre does it end? When are us musicians going to stop being idiots and find some sort of bottom line?

God... I know more about gear than anyone I know becuase I'm here on HC, and no one knows {censored}. :eek:

Just a rant at the idiocy of musicians... sorry. :rolleyes:

• Members

I am constantly amazed at the {censored} that comes out of player's mouths, especially well-known players. Stuff like the Brass craze of the 70's, boiling/freezing strings, assorted "secret weapons" , "British watts are louder than American watts" (so British amps are louder even though the wattage rating for said amps is in the exact same scale as American ones when sold IN AMERICA?), not to mention the cork-sniffer stuff of MM trannies, Sprague caps, Orange Drops, whatever.

If it sounds good, do it, but man, some of the stuff I read about how people get their tone - I am reminded of Eddie Van Halen telling everyone he used a variac, then he told people he didn't, then he told people used somethign SIMILAR to a variac... not to mention his amp WAS modded, then UNMODDED, then it had never BEEN modded... o my.

• Members
Originally posted by 6Chuck6Norris6

I'll bet you good money that most people out there really think that if you play a Gibson through a Marshall MG15, it's "perfect Gibson and Marshall tone."

But at the same time, the snobbery sometimes exhibited here is probably even worse.

+1
you are SO DAMN RIGHT!!! :o

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

My friend is telling me a Marshall fullstack is 1000 watts, I keep telling him it's probably more like 100 watts, and he's like "no the guy from Motley crue said itw as 1000 watts and so did [father of musician friend of his who dont know {censored}, he's just old].

WTF is wrong with people? Such bull{censored} just goes around forever and no one ever calls anybody on this {censored}.

THere's so much disinformation and plain idiocy going around about damn near everything musically related and this {censored} is starting to get on my nerves. You can't trust anything anyone says because no one knows what the hell they're talkin about. Hell I know people that are convinced that biasing amps is completely unnecessary, and they have pretty good arguments for that... and it's like wtf? Is it just a scam to make money on the part of tube re-sellers?

All this mystical mumbo jumbo about NOS tubes and 1000 watt full-stacks and boiled strings sound better and 100 watt amps are twice as loud as 50 watt amps (of course, not true) but it's like... wehre does it end? When are us musicians going to stop being idiots and find some sort of bottom line?

God... I know more about gear than anyone I know becuase I'm here on HC, and no one knows {censored}.
:eek:

Just a rant at the idiocy of musicians... sorry.
:rolleyes:

There's plenty of disinformation right here on HCAF as well :)

(There's also good info but you have to sift through the disinformation and isolate it)

• Members

most people who pick up instruments just don't know {censored} about them

i was in GC just yesterday, and a guy was pointing to an $1100 warwick bass on the wall...as he told the salesman that he'd bought that same washburn a month ago for $200 :freak:

salesman proceeds "well that's not a washburn" and the guy replies "yes it is, i'm not stupid...i know what that W on it stands for"

:wave:

you wanna find some real whacked out information, talk to people about hot rodding cars sometime

• Members

I blame alot of it on marketing. Some of these marketing claims are crazy, even the company I work for has crazy claims, they are true if you read the fine print.

Look at these boom boxes/mini systems, I typically see 1000Watts of power on the box, whatever:rolleyes:

All you can do is try to spread correct information.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Some artists love to throw out red herons to send kids running around in circles. They don't want people knowing how they got their tone for fear they'll lose the edge they have. It's been going on for years and years.

Jerry

I definitely agree about the red herrings

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

I definitely agree about the red herrings

Lol, remember when Ty Tabor went to all those lengths to hide the fact that he used an old solid state Gibson amp (Lab series, I think) because he didn't want people to start buying em up? I thought that {censored} was funny.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

God... I know more about gear than anyone I know becuase I'm here on HC, and no one knows {censored}.
:eek:

Just a rant at the idiocy of musicians... sorry.
:rolleyes:

"Why is gear such a black art full of disinformation?"

Thats easy. Its to keep people from buying what they need one time and instead keep buying multiple products over atime while never really finding what they wanted in the first place

Archived