Bolt On or Neck Thru

DannyM

• Members

I like both. I also like set-necks.

If the guitar is quality built the neck construction really doesn't matter tonewise IMO.

IMO it's really just a feel/comfort thing and since I have big hands all of them are comfortable for me to play.

I hear alot of people talk about how neck-thru construction is superior for tone and sustain but some of the best guitars I have ever owned have been bolt-on necks that sustained for days. :D

• Members

I like all of them, but it really depends on the wood used. I don`t really like maple neck-throughs. I prefer mahogany for neck-through and set neck, but maple is good for bolt on necks. I`ve owned all and like all about the same.

It also depends on how the neck joint is done. How comfy and easy to manuver around it is.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

the neck joint doesn't matter at all to me.

It matters to me for leads.

I'm used to the heel of neck thru jacksons, ibanez and esp so any type of bolt on feels foreign.

Its not something that I cant get used to though.

Try going from a jackson neck thru to a les paul :eek:

That feels weird at first and you have to change the way you are used to playing.

Thats more extreme than from a neck thru to a bolt on...

but you get the idea.

• Members

Originally posted by DannyM

It matters to me for leads.

I'm used to the heel of neck thru jacksons, ibanez and esp so any type of bolt on feels foreign.

Its not something that I cant get used to though.

Try going from a jackson neck thru to a les paul
:eek:
That feels weird at first and you have to change the way you are used to playing.

Thats more extreme than from a neck thru to a bolt on...

but you get the idea.

The difference between an Ibz neck-thru and bolt-on is very small.

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

The difference between an Ibz neck-thru and bolt-on is very small.

I didnt play any ibanex bolt ons....but I played several bolt ons this week end at guitar center and the difference between them and my ibanez rtg6exfx is substantial. there is this block of wood that basically sits in the way and blocks my thumb and easy access to the upper frets on the bolt ons that isnt there on my ibanez or my jackson neck thrus.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Or a Caparison, which I know Danny is looking into. Bolt on Caparisons have better upper fret access than neck thru guitars IMO.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait on the caparison.

I have a USA SL2H CopperHead on order from the custom shop/matts music that should be here in the next 2 to 5 months.

• Members

Originally posted by DannyM

I didnt play any ibanex bolt ons....but I played several bolt ons this week end at guitar center and the difference between them and my ibanez rtg6exfx is substantial. there is this block of wood that basically sits in the way and blocks my thumb and easy access to the upper frets on the bolt ons that isnt there on my ibanez or my jackson neck thrus.

Yes, but the Ibanez is totally different:

538px-Bolt-on_superstrat.jpg

Archived