Epi Valve Junior Army

jfaaz

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish I hadn't spent so much on guitar in the last two or three months. I'd problem spot for that little crate cab...but as it stands, I can't justify another hundred bucks without selling something first. And, this last week on craigslist hasn't been kind.

• Members

I just got mine delivered today! I added a switch and a input jack to a Kustom 12A combo to be able to use it as either a combo or a cabinet. I am going to do the same mod to my Fender Cyber-Deluxe and my Peavey Transtube 212 EFX. It is working great so far! The Kustom has a 8 Ohm Celestion.

I tried my Jekyll & Hyde pedal through it and it sounds sweet. It seems this pedal hates solid state amps. I have tried it through a bunch of solid state amps and kept getting this digital, harsh sound. It sounded so smooth through the Epi!

I am ready for my enlistment!
I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow to play more!

• Members

i finally found a store that will order one for me. apparently it arrives in australia (well western australia) end april/early may.
so i will ahve to wait till then.
cost me $239AUS but meh. ive been gassing for this for ages (since coming on this darn forum!)

• Members

im thinking about getting one of the bitmo mods (haha havent even got my VJ yet and im planning mods!) but which one?

im leaning towardsa the trio mod but the spanky+tone/brat also seems good?
ive signed onto 18w.com and im only on page 12 (out of 300pages+!) and i dont really know what they are on about.

• Members

^ hehe, i got to page 211 or something, went on holiday, came back, couldn't be bothered to check back in for a few weeks, and now it's at well over 300!

:D

it gets better the more you read... i borrowed my uncle's old RCA tube book, that helped too, and got "electronics for dummies" (pretty basic, but that's what I wanted)... haven't actually put any of it into practice yet, lol.

• Members

Got mine today and.....................naa. Mine is very bright and brittle.

I was warned that these ship with some really cheap chinese tubes and that I'd want to change mine out ASAP. But, mine came with Sovtek tubes and they sounded pretty good. Unless, the lower end Sovteks are made in China. I'm so new to tubes, I really have no idea.

I'd check that before you give up on the little guy.

• Members

For awhile now I've been thinking about building a lil' fire breathing monster from scratch. Has anyone hot-rodded the head or combo version yet? Also, does anybody have the specs for the PT and OT? Are they enough to support 3 or 4 12AX(T)7's and 2 EL84's/6V6's. Thanks guys!

• Members

For awhile now I've been thinking about building a lil' fire breathing monster from scratch. Has anyone hot-rodded the head or combo version yet? Also, does anybody have the specs for the PT and OT? Are they enough to support 3 or 4 12AX(T)7's and 2 EL84's/6V6's. Thanks guys!

most of the mods suggest you switch the OT anyway... not so sure about the PT...

are you sure you'd even need 3 or 4 12 ax7's? i mean, in bigger push-pull amps, one of those is used as the phase inverter, which you don't need on a single-ended amp...

also, i seem to remember dr phil in the 18 watt thread saying that mod site where the guy did add an extra preamp valve wasn't really the best way to do it... you could improve more without even bothering...

dunno. see what ancient mariner says, he knows his stuff.

• Members

most of the mods suggest you switch the OT anyway... not so sure about the PT...

are you sure you'd even need 3 or 4 12 ax7's? i mean, in bigger push-pull amps, one of those is used as the phase inverter, which you don't need on a single-ended amp...

also, i seem to remember dr phil in the 18 watt thread saying that mod site where the guy did add an extra preamp valve wasn't really the best way to do it... you could improve more without even bothering...

dunno. see what ancient mariner says, he knows his stuff.

Well, I got this wicked little single channel high/low, 4-stage preamp I designed so I'm gonna need enough juice for at least 3-12AX7's and a EL84/6V6...it being single-ended is really no prob as long as I'll be able to switch out the power tube.

• Members

^ ^ ah, that's different!

i dunno, you'd need to ask some of the other guys on here who know a lot more than me, or (i think) somewhere in the first 200 (!) odd pages of the 18 watt thread someone mentions what the transformers are good for...

• 5 months later...
  • Members

update: 9/25/07:

I just replaced the output transformer on my v2 VJ head with a Hammond 125DSE, and without a doubt, it is the biggest improvement to this amp you could do without changing another thing.

The perceived volume has increased seemingly 150%, while it cleaned up the mud at the bottom and just pumps out the highs. It is soooo sweet now, probably like they designed the thing before the bean counters got ahold of the production end of things.

It is extremely pedal friendly. (using an old Boss ME-30)

Just ordered a Celestion Vintage 30 12" for it and I hope it'll be 'done'.

It sure brings new life into my system for a mere $50, so if you're on the fence about the hammond ot, just do it. You'll be way happy you did it.

In fact, I'd recommend the ot change before you mod anything else (except tubes, of course).

Archived